• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would it make sense to trade/cut Lynch after this season?

HustleWilson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So on this other board, a couple members suggested the hawks might get rid of Lynch and start Christine Michael next year so they could free up cap room to sign Earl Thomas/Sherman, etc. to extensions. At first I thought they were crazy to even suggest such a thing considering Lynch just came off a year with 1,500 yards. What do you all think? Would it be the right move for the future or just stupid?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it would be stupid. You cut a top 5 runningback who will be 28 going into next season so you can start a 2nd year unproven 2nd round pick?

I know that since the Seahawks started winning the fanbase seems to have this delusion that the Seahawks front office can do no wrong, just because the Seahawks drafted Christine Michael does not mean he is the next coming of Adrian Peterson.

The smart thing to do is milk Lynch until he is no longer worth milking. His cap hit is nothing relative to that of some other players on the team. If you want to free cap space, start with Sidney Rice.

AZhawks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch has a couple years left in him, no way in hell, we cut/trade him after this season.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutting Lynch would be the epitome of idiot logic. Unless he has a poor performance in 2013, which I would have no reason to expect.

If you want to free cap space Lynch is not where you look.

2014 Seahawk cap hits:
Marshawn Lynch: $5m
Cliff Avril: $7m
Red Bryant: $4.5 + $3m roster bonus ($7.5m)
Zach Miller: $4.8m + $1m roster bonus ($5.8m)
Chris Clemons: $7.5m
Percy Harvin: $11m
Brandon Mebane: $5.5m
Russell Okung: $8.76m
Sidney Rice: $8.5m

Marshawn Lynch is far from being the highest paid player on the team.

There are plenty of other players on the roster who are underperforming relative to their contract. If anything, at $5m Marshawn Lynch is a bargain.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like win/win to me depending what you get..I think next years' draft is going to be pretty fat. Keeping him would be the better decision. Let's see first if his "back spasms" keep him outta more practices and possible starts again. I cant remember if he made every start last year. I do remember him as "questionable" status about half the season..

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like win/win to me depending what you get..I think next years' draft is going to be pretty fat. Keeping him would be the better decision. Let's see first if his "back spasms" keep him outta more practices and possible starts again. I cant remember if he made every start last year. I do remember him as "questionable" status about half the season..

I read somewhere he has only missed one start since becoming a Seahawk.

Here's the proof.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4186/marshawn-lynch

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. He's only 27. Rushed for 1,590 yds and 11TDs last regular season.

HELL NO!!!

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luckily for you your management is more intelligent than whoever suggested that.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on what we get. Lynch has 2-3 more productive seasons considering he hasn't had THAT many high carry seasons since entering the league with a couple seasons that he was almost benched.

That said, Michal is an f'ing CLONE of Lynch. I watched this kid play and the two look IDENTICAL running the ball. If some team was stupid enough to trade a 1st round pick after this year for Lynch and Michael proved himself on the touches he WILL get, yep, trade.

Draft picks are the most valuable thing you can get in the NFL these days, ESPECIALLY with the CBA. They are more valuable than most of the elite players in the NFL. If you can judge the talent and understand the draft you can get elite prospects for ridiculous cheap price and the added interest to resign these players if you have a winning org upon drafting.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on what we get. Lynch has 2-3 more productive seasons considering he hasn't had THAT many high carry seasons since entering the league with a couple seasons that he was almost benched.

That said, Michal is an f'ing CLONE of Lynch. I watched this kid play and the two look IDENTICAL running the ball. If some team was stupid enough to trade a 1st round pick after this year for Lynch and Michael proved himself on the touches he WILL get, yep, trade.

Draft picks are the most valuable thing you can get in the NFL these days, ESPECIALLY with the CBA. They are more valuable than most of the elite players in the NFL. If you can judge the talent and understand the draft you can get elite prospects for ridiculous cheap price and the added interest to resign these players if you have a winning org upon drafting.

I don't see any team willing to give a 1st rd pick to a team for a RB that has only a couple good seasons left. If you can get a 1st, that's good news for your franchise....I just don't think too many teams are going to want the low tread coupled with the high sticker price.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't trade Lynch and I'd only cut him if his numbers fell off a cliff for more than a season or he got an injury that would be hard for him to come back from and still be Beast Mode, but I don't see that happening anytime soon (knock on wood). We've got a good thing going here with him, so why would anyone want to mess with that if it isn't necessary?

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more likely candidate to get cut or be asked to take a pay cut is Sydney Rice. Huge number one wr contract...second/third wr production

I like what Rice brings to the table wit his size and frame...but unless he goes out and catches 70-80 balls for 1100-1250 yds and 9-12 tds this upcoming year...he will be highly expendable

The idea of Marshawn getting replaced for a cheaper option is in the works with the Hawks drafting Cristine Michaels...but dude has to go out there and show some real potential first before any talks of Marshawn getting cut gets discussed

nk12thman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, no, and no. Lynch is still young, has plenty of tread on the tires(despite what 9er fans say) due to the amount of time he sat doing nothing in Buffalo. He is the perfect fit for our running game, and has proven his durability. If guys like him could so easily be replaced, every team would have a RB like him.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So on this other board, a couple members suggested the hawks might get rid of Lynch and start Christine Michael next year so they could free up cap room to sign Earl Thomas/Sherman, etc. to extensions.

You might want to stay off that board.... :L

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never trade or cut a top 5 RB. Besides, Lynch has another good 4 to 5 years left in him.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never trade or cut a top 5 RB. Besides, Lynch has another good 4 to 5 years left in him.

I'm not so sure about that. Running backs tend to hit a wall when they get to 30 and Lynch has piled on a lot of mileage the past couple seasons. He's 27 this year, so I think we'll see two more exceptional years from Marshawn, one more good year and then things will start to go downhill pretty quick. One nice thing about having Turbin and Michael in the mix is they should be able to take a fair bit of the load off Marshawn and help keep him fresh for the playoffs.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure about that. Running backs tend to hit a wall when they get to 30 and Lynch has piled on a lot of mileage the past couple seasons. He's 27 this year, so I think we'll see two more exceptional years from Marshawn, one more good year and then things will start to go downhill pretty quick. One nice thing about having Turbin and Michael in the mix is they should be able to take a fair bit of the load off Marshawn and help keep him fresh for the playoffs.

Don't forget the fact Lynch was in Buffalo's dog house in '09 and half of '10, so his body hasn't taken a full
7 years of punishment which is why i think he won't hit the wall at 30. As you said of having Turbin and Michael in the mix, that too should help Lynch's production past 30. This is why you can't move him unless major disaster happens.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You wait until someone steps ups don't you?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're still a couple of years away before anybody takes over Lynch's starting role.