• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would 6 conference wins get Huskers to Post-Season?

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go ahead and LOL all you want, but this is a serious question that is brought on by discussion after a win over Iowa that folks weren't really expecting.

If Nebraska could manage to scratch out 2 of their last 4, the NIT or CBI would have to consider it.

This is mainly because Nebraska has the #13 Strength of Schedule in the country and actually only has 1 loss to a non-quality opponent on the entire season.

They say any 8 win team in the BIG this season should make it to the NCAA Tourney, so I can't see why a 6 win team wouldn't have a shot at the NIT. It's an interesting discussion that has been brought up following this weekend, and Ubel seems to believe that Nebraska will indeed find a way to make it to Post-Season play.

Thoughts?

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me crazy but I think Nebraska wins on the road tomorrow night @ #21 Wisconsin and then again at home against Minnesota in the last game ever at the Bob.

That is one of the things we have going for us right now........it's the last game ever at the Bob. We can't come out flat in that game. Our guys are going to be playing their asses off to go out the right way.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've already got more wins than last season @ 13. Quite an accomplishment for Miles in his first season considering what he had to work with.

Regarding post season, the NIT is out of reach with just two more wins. If they were to win a couple in the B1G tournament as well they'd have a chance.

Oregon St got into the CBI with just 14 wins in 2010, so If the Huskers can find another win they'd have a real good chance imo.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that we've basically accomplished what we have accomplished with only 5 players contributing...........it is unthinkable.

Before the season I said we would win 0 games in conference play. I said that because I truly believed that.

On Saturday 5 players played the entire 2nd half against Iowa and did not get a single break. 5 players staged the biggest comeback victory in the best conference in the country this season........that is crazy. Not one single guy was substituted in during the 2nd half.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evansville got into the CBI w/ 15 wins in 2011
Washington St got in w/ 15 wins in 2012

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are in a good position right now personally. Talley is peaking at the right time, and Shields is getting better and better. Teams were focusing on stopping Gallegos, but now he's going to be open more often in these last few games because of Talley picking up his game.

It's also going to open up things inside for Ubel. We are not outmatched completely in any of our final 4 matchups.....we have a chance in any one of them.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minny's upset of Indiana and Penn St's upset of Michigan gives me hope the Huskers can find one more win somewhere and get CBI consideration.

Their best shot is Minny in Lincoln (last Nebrasketball game in The Bob).

The other two games are @ Illinois and Iowa.

It would have been better for NU to have a NCAA Tournament lock team who was out of the regular season title race and in "coast mode", but unfortunately Illinois and Iowa are bubble teams and will be giving it everything they've got.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Nebraska has a shot at the CBI with another win. A lot of the CBI's choices for teams is based on how many tickets they can sell so they like having major conference teams because the venues are bigger.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That one win ain't gonna come easy though.

Iowa will see the game as must win as well as needing a couple of B1G tournament wins to get in. plus it's at Iowa.

I really think Minny (who's widely considered "in" regardless) is NU's one and only opportunity to get to 14.

The CBI is meaningless (unless you're OD), but like a bowl game it gives next years returning players just a little more practice that wouldn't normally be authorized.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think the CBI is meaningless for a program like Nebraska who is trying to build excitement. I know last year that when Iowa was on the fringe of an NIT bid our AD said that we would refuse a CBI bid and the fans were livid. Fortunately we got into the NIT but any kind of postseason ball is great for programs that are trying to build. The other thing is that Nebraska would likely get home games until they lost. Honestly you guys may not even need to win another game. Oregon State got in a few years ago at 12-19 and the Huskers RPI is high enough that even a 13-18 record may get you in.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well one thing is for sure.....Nebraska outdid themselves winning 4 games in the BIG this season. When 5 guys are seeing 98% of your playing time, it is really difficult to win anywhere, let alone in the BIG which is by far the best conference in the country.

Hell, Gallegos has played the full 40 mins several times this season......you gotta be in crazy shape to do that.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Nebraska just got a win over the #17 team in the RPI......

Does this put us in the CBI? Would a win over Iowa to end the season put us in the NIT?

We won 5 games in Conference play.........4 of which we weren't supposed to win. We also beat Valpo and USC........whom we weren't supposed to beat.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'd bet money they get in the CBI.

They'd have to win @ Iowa and win a conference tourney game to make NIT.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we make the CBI I will be one happy sumbitch.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably more like win @ Iowa and win 2 conference tourney games to get to NIT

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it makes the next couple of weeks interesting at least.

I will be at a damn wedding during the Iowa game......fuck my life. Will be on my phone during the entire wedding following the game no doubt.

If we beat Iowa, from what I can tell, the likelihood would be great that we would face Iowa again in the first round of the BIG tournament.

I say this assuming that Minnesota beats Purdue and Ohio State beats Illinois in their final games of the season. If this all unfolds like this, Nebraska will finish #10 (no matter what happens) and Iowa would finish #7 I believe.