• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: World Series: Los Angeles Dodgers vs Houston Astros

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, when he's pitching like dogshit in game 7 of the WS and he'd given up 5 runs, the last 2 on a bomb by a guy who'd been hammering them all series and had just hit a double off of him on a meatball he'd served up the inning before, the 2nd inning was way too long.

This isn't just Monday am QB'ing. People in this thread were calling for him to be yanked. They were even discussing the possibility on the broadcast. It might not have made any difference in the outcome, but Roberts stayed with him too long.

There was also a precedent already set earlier in this very same series where Darvish was terrible. You HAVE to be ready with a backup plan. Crossing your fingers for the best at this level is ridiculous.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your opinion is valid, but mine is not? Ok.
Yours is. I simply value Roberts' opinion more when it comes to handling the Dodger pitching staff.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yours is. I simply value Roberts' opinion more when it comes to handling the Dodger pitching staff.

Managers are fallible, just as much as the players are.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you constantly assume things, then you're already behind. It's game 7. It's not game 2. There is no other game after this. You can't assume a guy will rebound after an already shaky first inning. That's why they lost. EVEN if he assumes his pitcher can get through another few innings, don't you think it's prudent to have a contingency plan just in case it does not?
I'm extremely confident he had one. His bet on Darvish simply did not pay off. As for why they lost, what about 2nd and third and no out; no runs, first and third one out, no runs, bases loaded one out, no runs. Think maybe that might be why they lost? Maybe?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So which is it? He coaxed wins out of them or "highly paid professional athletes gave him a professional effort" for 104 games?
You do realize you sound contradictory, right? In one breath, you're saying the players do it all and he has no influence and then you say he got the wins out of them.
Nope, just trying to validate your oinion that the manager has anything to do with winning the majority of the games. I don't think the manager has much at all to do with almost all games; its on the players

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, just trying to validate your oinion that the manager has anything to do with winning the majority of the games. I don't think the manager has much at all to do with almost all games; its on the players
What do you think of Dusty's handling of the staff in 2002? Not a factor?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What happened in 2002? I've completely blocked that year from memory.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Managers are fallible, just as much as the players are.
But my point is the players have a much larger impact on the game and are much more important than the manager. Otherwise why is it the manager they dump and not the players?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL! Midway through the second was way too long, huh? Geez, I wonder if Roberts knows a little bit more about his staff than you do. Hmm, maybe his pen was spent, maybe he had faith in Darvish's ability to work out of a jam. I'm confident that Roberts, far more than you, knows what he's doing with the Dodger staff, but maybe that's just me.

You're like playing a hand of mentally challenged poker by yourself. "Daahhhhh, I'll see my Aspergers and raise me some blunt force trauma to the head."

His potentially spent pen went on to pitch seven and a third scoreless innings.

Is your digital watch backlit or nah?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm extremely confident he had one. His bet on Darvish simply did not pay off. As for why they lost, what about 2nd and third and no out; no runs, first and third one out, no runs, bases loaded one out, no runs. Think maybe that might be why they lost? Maybe?

Obviously there was a lack of execution from all sides. But there's a difference in expecting your offense to climb out of a 5-0 hole, than say a 2-0 or 3-0 hole after 2 innings. Yes the offense was terrible too in game 7, but that's like blaming an NBA team for not shooting well in the second half of the game to win, when they were already in a 20-0 hole.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander. The diff

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He made a big mistake in game 6 as it runed out. But he was using the formula that worked for him all season. Not as egregious an error as Bochy pulling Moore against the Cubs in game 4 but still an error.
Still though, the relievers did not perform when caleld upon. That's on them, not Baker.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He made a big mistake in game 6 as it runed out. But he was using the formula that worked for him all season. Not as egregious an error as Bochy pulling Moore against the Cubs in game 4 but still an error.
Still though, the relievers did not perform when caleld upon. That's on them, not Baker.
And as it turned out, Roberts made a big mistake in not pulling Darvish earlier.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tool, please! I've forgotten more about baseball than you'll ever know.

Yeah.. well that's not really apparent to people reading your posts. But maybe you really are some kind baseball super genius in disguise.

"Darvish should have pitched better".
"The Dodgers should have hit better with RISP".

Brilliant insights... that's some real Bill James level acumen right there.

Please drop some more knowledge on us.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And again, I am confident that Roberts knows far more about his staff than you do.

Conversely, I'm confident that the watery shit I took this morning knows far more about pretty much everything on Earth than you do.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're like playing a hand of mentally challenged poker by yourself. "Daahhhhh, I'll see my Aspergers and raise me some blunt force trauma to the head."

His potentially spent pen went on to pitch seven and a third scoreless innings.

Is your digital watch backlit or nah?
We've moved on from your nonsense. You are out of the conversation.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously there was a lack of execution from all sides. But there's a difference in expecting your offense to climb out of a 5-0 hole, than say a 2-0 or 3-0 hole after 2 innings. Yes the offense was terrible too in game 7, but that's like blaming an NBA team for not shooting well in the second half of the game to win, when they were already in a 20-0 hole.
We disagree. The opportunities were there in abundance and they did not capitalize.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as it turned out, Roberts made a big mistake in not pulling Darvish earlier.
He did, but, as with Baker, hindsight is 20/20. I don't blame him for the call he made at the time last night.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah.. well that's not really apparent to people reading your posts. But maybe you really are some kind baseball super genius in disguise.

"Darvish should have pitched better".
"The Dodgers should have hit better with RISP".

Brilliant insights... that's some real Bill James level acumen right there.

Please drop some more knowledge on us.
Far more insightful is pegging Roberts as the reason the Dodgers lost; far more. The two statements you make above cannot be challenged. Had either of those happened, the Dodgers win. You keep digging this hole for yourself and for the life of me I cannot figure out why.