• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Series Champions, Texas Rangers 2023-2024 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emiliano Teodo hadn't allowed a run in the AFL to date. He pitched in the All Star Game tonight and gave up a run without allowing a hit. He walked two and hit two.

Liam Hicks went 0 for 0 with 2 walks. He is fourth in the AFL in OPS. Hopefully he can become a good enough catcher to make the club in 2025. He could be an option late in 2024 if we have an injury and he continues to develop.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So under the radar FA signing for Rangers is Justin Turner IMO
I read that the Diamondbacks are expected to go after him to replace Longoria. So, they would be offering him a chance to play every day.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rotation as of now:

Eovaldi
Dunning
Gray
Scherzer
Bradford

If they would go out and sign Nick Martinez for the pen, that would give them two long men/spot starters for the pen, in him and Heaney.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you imagine how our rotation would look with Cole Ragans in it?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rangers relief pitcher prospect, pitching in the AFL All Star Game tonight.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And some have players they have given up on and dislike as baseball players, often prematurely.
And some folks don't have emotional ties to players either. They don't care what player fills what position the only thing that matters is their performance, I fall in that category...

A players performance is what it is, all players can stand to improve but the question remains will they or can they? That's up to the front office to determine whether they want to retain the player or move on...

The only player (that I can think of) I have opined that the Rangers "needed" to get rid of was Willie Calhoun, because I thought he was a major head case and bad influence in the locker room...

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huff has a cannon arm, but has footwork issues, blocking issues, game calling issues, framing issues and strikeout issues (which needs to be addressed in the Minors).

Some scouting reports on Sam Huff for the past:

From MLB Pipeline 2020:

Though just five players his size have caught 300 games in the big leagues, Huff moves surprisingly well for a huge man and should be able to remain behind the plate. He has improved his defense significantly since turning pro and scores well in Texas' framing metrics, though he needs to get more consistent with his receiving. His arm draws well above-average grades from some scouts and helped him erase 48 percent of basestealers in 2019.

From Prospects Live 2021:

Field: Inconsistent but capable defender behind the dish. Pro instruction and work ethic have yielded significant gains. XL frame helps him present a large quiet target. Calls a good game; appears to adapt to pitchers strengths and weaknesses throughout starts. Shows decently mobility considering his size. Average receiving skills; strong wrists allow for decent framing - occasionally over frames and stabs, especially at balls low in the zone. Footwork and blocking need refinement but are average. Overall, Huff is a solid average defender behind the dish. Grade: 50

Arm:
Plus arm strength; long transfers and occasional errant throws bring the grade down a half tick. Pop times typically in 1.98 to 2.03 range. Grade: 55

All that being said, with Heim here, Huff's future here is most likely DH, 1B and backup C. That's if the organization wants him. I am not sure that is the case. I wouldn't be surprised if he moves on and becomes the next ex-Ranger that everyone wonders how they let him get away.

the only thing that matters is their performance
When a players performance is described this much differently than other's descriptions it makes it seem the evaluation is emotional. Emotions cut both ways.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jeff Wilson:

Shohei Ohtani, arguably the biggest free agent ever, has three favorites, according to the New York Post: the Dodgers, the Giants and the Rangers.

Let the circus begin.

The Rangers’ place in Ohtani’s top three, if accurate, shouldn’t come as a surprise. They were one of the finalists to sign him when he came from Japan, he crushes the ball at Globe Life Field and he wants to win. The Rangers just won it all, and he had an up-close view.

The question becomes if the Rangers want Ohtani (of course, they want him) and how much they are willing to pay (that’s tricky). Most expect Ohtani to bag $500 million even though the two-way player will be only a one-way player in 2024 as he recovers from Tommy John surgery.

For those scoring at home, that’s Tommy John No. 2 for Ohtani since he came to the majors in 2018.

Ohtani will turn 30 in July, so he’s not as young as Corey Seager was when he hit free agency. The Rangers have to ask themselves how much longer will Ohtani continue as a two-way player and if they want to be playing a mid- and late-30s Ohtani $50 million a year just to be a designated hitter.

And it’s not like the team he signed with, the Angels, even came close to a postseason berth with him.

The list of considerations doesn’t stop there. It won’t be an easy decision to pursue Ohtani or to tell him no thanks.

The rumor mill, though, will be swirling.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me Hiff looks like a poor man’s Gsrver obviously he is a better hitter than Hedges the alleged jester but if I am looking for a defense first catcher as a backup I like Hedfes over Huff

Am concerned about too much swing and miss from Huff but if he does well in the spring then maybe he gets some DH and even better some 1B

However as I mentioned Turner or someone else as a RHB would be better than Huff

I do think as a board there are times when we think Huff has been wronged. I am not too quick to jump on that bandwagon

Glad this year we don’t have as much to add this offseason but do want to make sure we keep we keep the right young players

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jeff Wilson:

Shohei Ohtani, arguably the biggest free agent ever, has three favorites, according to the New York Post: the Dodgers, the Giants and the Rangers.

Let the circus begin.

The Rangers’ place in Ohtani’s top three, if accurate, shouldn’t come as a surprise. They were one of the finalists to sign him when he came from Japan, he crushes the ball at Globe Life Field and he wants to win. The Rangers just won it all, and he had an up-close view.

The question becomes if the Rangers want Ohtani (of course, they want him) and how much they are willing to pay (that’s tricky). Most expect Ohtani to bag $500 million even though the two-way player will be only a one-way player in 2024 as he recovers from Tommy John surgery.

For those scoring at home, that’s Tommy John No. 2 for Ohtani since he came to the majors in 2018.

Ohtani will turn 30 in July, so he’s not as young as Corey Seager was when he hit free agency. The Rangers have to ask themselves how much longer will Ohtani continue as a two-way player and if they want to be playing a mid- and late-30s Ohtani $50 million a year just to be a designated hitter.

And it’s not like the team he signed with, the Angels, even came close to a postseason berth with him.

The list of considerations doesn’t stop there. It won’t be an easy decision to pursue Ohtani or to tell him no thanks.

The rumor mill, though, will be swirling.
Risk is to much. We have enough of this catagory.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The word is, that 29 of the 30 clubs will actually be trying to improve this offseason. Only the Oakland A's are content to not spend.

From Bob Nightingale:

“I’ve never seen anything like it," one GM said. “It’s the first time we’ve had 29 teams all talking about winning. Every team you talk to wants to be aggressive.’’

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me Hiff looks like a poor man’s Gsrver obviously he is a better hitter than Hedges the alleged jester but if I am looking for a defense first catcher as a backup I like Hedfes over Huff

Am concerned about too much swing and miss from Huff but if he does well in the spring then maybe he gets some DH and even better some 1B

However as I mentioned Turner or someone else as a RHB would be better than Huff

I do think as a board there are times when we think Huff has been wronged. I am not too quick to jump on that bandwagon

Glad this year we don’t have as much to add this offseason but do want to make sure we keep we keep the right young players
The funny thing is, this whole Huff conversation started, not as him catching, but as him being able to be a 1B/DH. Although, he is quite capable of being, at the least, a backup catcher. The alleged catching deficiencies were thrown in out of left field, so to speak. And he was mentioned with other guys, but those other guys aren't quite the lightening rod, so the conversation quickly swerved toward Huff.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing is, this whole Huff conversation started, not as him catching, but as him being able to be a 1B/DH. Although, he is quite capable of being, at the least, a backup catcher. The alleged catching deficiencies were thrown in out of left field, so to speak. And he was mentioned with other guys, but those other guys aren't quite the lightening rod, so the conversation quickly swerved toward Huff.
Yeah I like him best as a 3rd catcher but if he can handlle duties as a second catcher and play some 1B that has value.
Just concerned re his swing and miss like many were of Gallo despite OPS

To me it will be interesting who all we keep to protect from Rule 5. This means to me that we may need to trade a few

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I like him best as a 3rd catcher but if he can handlle duties as a second catcher and play some 1B that has value.
Just concerned re his swing and miss like many were of Gallo despite OPS

To me it will be interesting who all we keep to protect from Rule 5. This means to me that we may need to trade a few
Rule 5 & signing free agents means we have to clear some through trade or DFA. I count that we have 7 spots on the 40-man roster right now and I count 8 to 10 prospects that need to be added and we need to address multiple spots via free agency or trade

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule 5 & signing free agents means we have to clear some through trade or DFA. I count that we have 7 spots on the 40-man roster right now and I count 8 to 10 prospects that need to be added and we need to address multiple spots via free agency or trade
Smith, Smith,Chapman and Hedges would be a good start