• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Cup of Hockey returns in 2016

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even disagree with you, I think going forward they should probably change the U-23 thing because I think that can fluctuate every four years, you could have a really good U-23 one year and then four years later it's not very good

That being said, I think people need to realize that the league is as strong as it's ever been and you have to take the good with the bad when it comes to the different ideas the league is trying to do, who knows, the World Cup in 2016 might be a hit and fans might warm up to the whole thing?

the nhl could make this world cup easily supplant the Olympics ... by announcing that they wont be going to the olympics anymore ... but the fact is they want to use this as some sort of leverage and show the IOC that they can run there own world class show ... the rules they have come up with wont do that though

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah just so we can see Canada win the whole damn thing every four years

I've seen the same crap the last two tournaments - it hasn't been THAT exciting - everyone knows unless Canada totally shits the bed, they're going to win - USA has been perennial chokers in this event the last two years and I'm tired of seeing them built up as if it's "their year" just to see them go MIA against Canada every time - besides Slovenia making a really nice run and the Swiss looking good, they still didn't get to the Final and it's pretty much the same thing the last few tournaments - even with the USA having more talent than it's ever had, they will still not surpass Canada because Canada owns every frickin superstar forward and defenseman that they could field 2 or 3 teams and probably beat USA with each one

With the World Cup, I think the competition will be much better and with it being at the beginning of the season, I think it makes things a lot more fair for all the teams and players playing in the tournament

just wait until they lose to the u23 team stocked with americans

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The deadline makes so little sense that I'm shocked even the NHL could up with it. OK, not really, but still.

Essentially this is going to take some of the best players in the world and shorten their off season even further. Granted, as a fan I always feel like the off season is too damned long (maybe because my team is never playing in May and June), but some of these guys who are playing in the SCF will be playing for 3 1/2 months after they're named to the roster. Then they'll have only a couple months to rest and recuperate before jumping into a pre-season tournament.

I wonder if they'll get suspended if they decide to skip the tournament after being named to the team.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing the 2020 tournament could be similar to the World Baseball Classic. Some Canadian and American born players could be asked to play for the country of their ancestors in an attempt to try to grow the game in those countries.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing the 2020 tournament could be similar to the World Baseball Classic. Some Canadian and American born players could be asked to play for the country of their ancestors in an attempt to try to grow the game in those countries.

They've done that already. In 2006 half the Italian team roster were born in Ontario.

Mandoli

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN reportedly wins tv rights to the 2016 world cup of hockey

I remember watching when ESPN had the KHL games on during the last lockout. I think they came back in from commercial breaks, and the puck had already been dropped. I'm going to hope that they can do better than that.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember watching when ESPN had the KHL games on during the last lockout. I think they came back in from commercial breaks, and the puck had already been dropped. I'm going to hope that they can do better than that.

Considering the amount of coverage ESPN gives the NHL, I think you're expecting far to much.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the head of the Russian Ice Hockey Federation, the groups will be

Group A: USA, Canada, Czech Republic, Euro All Stars
Group B: Russia, Sweden, Finland, North American U23s

Each team will play 3 games against their group and the top 2 teams in each group will play in the semi-finals.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just cant take this thing seriously at all at this point

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just cant take this thing seriously at all at this point

The funny thing is I think I'll end up cheering for the U23 team - You could have Monahan, Gaudreau, Horvat and 18 year old (well, he'll be 20 by that time) Sam Bennett on that roster.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing is I think I'll end up cheering for the U23 team - You could have Monahan, Gaudreau, Horvat and 18 year old (well, he'll be 20 by that time) Sam Bennett on that roster.

he will always be 18 year old Sam Bennett ... always and forever

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
COegyLRXAAAzG1M.jpg

I like the best of 3 in the final. Pretty awesome.

Of course, with Bettman involved, you know something is gonna smell...

COekkU2WoAQK5Gz.jpg

So no McDavid or Ekblad on Canada or Eichel or Matthews on USA. Because they're from the same country, the nation of YOUTH!

Fucking Bettman.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on the best of 3. I think that's a great change.

/Wait, did I just give Bettman credit for something?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only argument would be maybe the semis should be likewise?
Honestly I'm OK with only doing it for the final. Obviously I always want to see more, but having to balance that against the need to give the guys a little R&R before the season starts is important.

Hell, if they play the 3rd game, the guys from those two teams will only have 6 days before the regular season starts (or more depending on exact teams of course). But if guys from Chicago make the final - which is no stretch to assume Team Canada could be there with multiple Blackhawks, this is going to be one short off-season.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I'm OK with only doing it for the final. Obviously I always want to see more, but having to balance that against the need to give the guys a little R&R before the season starts is important.

Hell, if they play the 3rd game, the guys from those two teams will only have 6 days before the regular season starts (or more depending on exact teams of course). But if guys from Chicago make the final - which is no stretch to assume Team Canada could be there with multiple Blackhawks, this is going to be one short off-season.
Meh. Soccer players play 11 months of the year in seasons with int'l tournaments in the summer. I say suck it up.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I echo what jstew said above, I'm having a tough time taking this seriously or getting excited at this point. Maybe I'll feel differently in a year's time, but right now, it gets a big *yawn* from me.