• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Cup is bigger on social media than the Super Bowl, Olympics and Oscar awards COMBINED

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't watch soccer, except for the WC.. that's the only time it's televised. And I can say this.. I think I've seen the best of what it can offer (matches by top tier teams in the opening days) and the worst it can offer (matchups between lower-tiered teams).

I can say this.. just like any other sport, if you get the right matchups it can be pretty exciting to watch. When you don't... it can be the ultimate yawnfest. As in, you're watching and saying to yourself "why the fuck am I wasting time watching this?!"

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soccer is passionately hated in America for what it represents. No rational person would hate something as arbitrary as a sport, all sports are arbitrary collections of rules guiding athletic competition. What those who hate soccer really take issue against is the cultural invasion that soccer represents.

How Much Do Americans Really Hate Soccer? | Hazlitt

Globalization is already here and has been for about 20 years. I know all the right wingers hate that, but that's the way it is and it's not going to change.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we won't have domestic success until we have international success.

South America doesn't have great domestic success either. The best players play in Europe where the top clubs reside.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soccer is not hated in this country. Many are just indifferent to it. There's a difference. Purely as a sport there is not going to be a "mass invasion" or any such thing.

If people from across the globe continue to decide to make the USA their home, that's where the "mass invasion" is going to come from. My analogy.. as long as the Goya aisle in your local supermarket doesn't take over the things you normally buy, no one's really going to give two shits what soccer does or doesn't do in this country. Much ado about nothing, really.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a model that can work. What exactly do you think these programs are? Same this as minor leagues in baseball. The idea is to have these kids playing for a club that is invested in them rather than go the soccer mom route which doesn't develop anything. By the time they're 17-18 years old, you've got a pretty good idea whether they're professional material or not. If not, then go to college. By the time you're 23-24 (post college) your timeline to develop the skills and instincts have pretty much passed.

The minor league system in baseball started long before football or basketball got popular. There was only one sport and everyone played it. The major league baseball teams supported it, as well as the local teams being able to draw a sufficient fan base. Do you think any US soccer league would pay to establish a minor league of soccer teams, and then pay the players to man that league. I truly don't believe there is enough money in the MLS to invest in a nationwide series of teams to allow this to compete with the local high schools and colleges. But I think it's great that you think it will happen.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If people from across the globe continue to decide to make the USA their home, that's where the "mass invasion" is going to come from.

Much like Rugby and Cricket, us Americans will adopt soccer...then alter the rules...and produce a fucking awesome new sport! We'll work out the ins and outs of this new game for about 100 years and then, once finished with our task, we'll ask the world for a new game.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll sophisticate the fuck out of this new sport, call the Finals something snappy like, "The World Mega Bowl Series" even though us and only 2-3 other countries will play it.

It's gonna be fan fucking tastic.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll sophisticate the fuck out of this new sport, call the Finals something snappy like, "The World Mega Bowl Series" even though us and only 2-3 other countries will play it.

It's gonna be fan fucking tastic.

lol... it'll be like Arena football as opposed to NFL football.

Scores! Scores! Scores! (And babes!)

:laugh:

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol... it'll be like Arena football as opposed to NFL football.

Scores! Scores! Scores! (And babes!)

:laugh:

Well...hot cheerleaders goes without saying. This is going to be the new American past time, after all.

Scoring goals will remain the same...we might introduce a "2-pt range" though...

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...hot cheerleaders goes without saying. This is going to be the new American past time, after all.

Scoring goals will remain the same...we might introduce a "2-pt range" though...

I have an idea. If the hot cheerleaders lined up behind the goal doing their cheering and hip-swinging aren't enough to thwart the would-be goal-maker then that team shall be awarded two points.

If the defending team elects not to put their cheerleaders behind the goal post, they'll only be awarded the normal one.

I like this idea!

bconngemini

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much like Rugby and Cricket, us Americans will adopt soccer...then alter the rules...and produce a fucking awesome new sport! We'll work out the ins and outs of this new game for about 100 years and then, once finished with our task, we'll ask the world for a new game.
And the world will fall asleep watching this fucking awesome new sport that will stop every 5 seconds.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the world will fall asleep watching this fucking awesome new sport that will stop every 5 seconds.

On a less joking point,

Not trying to belittle soccer or the worlds interest in it, but I truly think those that follow American Football don't give two shits if the rest of the world is interested in our most popular sport or not.

The only people who care about increased viewership/revenue outside the US (certainly NOT American football fans) is the NFL who just wants to cash in on more $$$ and profits in additional markets.

IF, for some reason, concussions and safety somehow dilutes the sport and puts an end to football as we know it, then another sport will most likely replace it in terms of popularity within the US.

Could even be soccer, but I doubt it.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We've already started, now there are water breaks. Soon we will have a two minute timeout after the first play stoppage after the 20 minute mark (for comercials of course), that will offer two significant commercial breaks per half. Within two years, soccer in the US will be 4 twenty minute quarters with 2 timeouts per half. Oh, and the clock will run down, not up.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've already started, now there are water breaks. Soon we will have a two minute timeout after the first play stoppage after the 20 minute mark (for comercials of course), that will offer two significant commercial breaks per half. Within two years, soccer in the US will be 4 twenty minute quarters with 2 timeouts per half. Oh, and the clock will run down, not up.

:laugh3:

Idiotic post on zero grounds. There aren't commercial breaks in soccer, there will never be breaks. Water breaks are not part of the game. That was at the discretion of the ref because the game was being played in the middle of a rainforest. Please let us know when you can back anything up with fact.

not sure if just bad troll attempt.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3:

Idiotic post on zero grounds. There aren't commercial breaks in soccer, there will never be breaks. Water breaks are not part of the game. That was at the discretion of the ref because the game was being played in the middle of a rainforest. Please let us know when you can back anything up with fact.

not sure if just bad troll attempt.

Water breaks aren't really the discretion of the ref, they are mandated by FIFA if I'm not mistaken when the temps get to a certain point.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Water breaks aren't really the discretion of the ref, they are mandated by FIFA if I'm not mistaken when the temps get to a certain point.

They can be allowed. It is still the ref's call if he want's to halt the game.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Believe I heard when temps reach 89°F, but I could be wrong.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe I heard when temps reach 89°F, but I could be wrong.

By that rule, if the US adopted it, it would always happen in Texas at least.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Popularity is the only thing soccer fans have to justify their fruity little pastime.

Do you know why soccer is so popular worldwide? Because it's so cheap to play!

Here in America we can afford to play real football and we don't give two shits how popular it is around the world because we know it rules.

Real football. Lol, spoken like a true ignorant dumbass.