• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wk 4 vs CIN...MNF

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was the game this team needed. Everyone looked on the same page tonight. Offense looked good, defense looked amazing. Great win!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching... Fichtner got some much needed aid from his O-line to be able to call such a gimmicky game. I'll give him credit though, he successfully took the pressure off of Mason and allowed him to feel more comfortable. Aside from a few gaffs (see spoiler), he called relatively clean situational football. That's what this team needs if they want to continue to progress this season. Now the trick is seeing what Fichtner will do with tape out there on his gimmicky plays. Lots of misdirection, RPOs, wildcat, pony & jet sweeps aren't going to cut it against a tougher front. Looked like college football to me. At some point he will have to let Mason air it out more. He called up a couple of beauty combo routes to free people up. Need to see more of that. But I'll say this, Mason needed this game to boost his confidence and get him on the right track. Butler's defense was stout. Good mix of blitz packages and man coverage schemes to play uber aggressive. This felt reminiscent of his 2015 defense. I liked the aggressiveness from the coaches against an inferior opponent. I suspected they would play down to the Bengals, but they didn't. So hats off to them and hopefully that continues. Just hope they don't expect the same gameplans to work every week. Gotta mix it up and give fresh looks. Not going to crown them with a stellar grade because I don't think the Bengals are a good enough gauge of what this team is worth. You can call it pessimistic, but I'll call it realistic. B+

Offense... Rudolph looked in rhythm. Gameplan & a stout O-line helped him immensely, giving him time & keeping the defense off his keys. He still looks hesitant to take the deep shots as I saw his eyes downfield numerous times only to check down to a shorter route. Luckily for him the run game was dominating and he didn't need to take those shots. Smart football, but again, eventually he'll need to establish himself as a passer. The run game isn't always going to bail him out like this. B+

Defense... Stellar showing from this group. And this is exactly what I suspected would happen if the offense was able to give them life in the 2nd half. Swarming from top to bottom. The front 7 had an easy assignment dispatching a patchwork & depleted Cincy O-line. I'd like to see this sort of performance through 4 quarters against a tougher team. Of which we shall see next week. The DBs were on lockdown. For most, it was a quiet night. And that is a beautiful thing for a secondary. You can tell Fitzpatrick is doing a great job with communication out there. Haven't seen too many coverage mistakes with him in there, which is exactly what this team needed. Haden & Hilton looked stellar. And I will continue to toot this horn, Sutton looks ready to start. I loved how clean these guys were able to play in their lanes tonight. Especially for the run blitzers & DBs jetstreaming their assignments. Looked like a much more confident group tonight and everyone was doing their job and playing well together. Hell even Dupree & Barron looked good, which really says something. Next week against BAL will be a better gauge for this unit. A

ST... Holton on KR, Johnson on PR... Switzer nowhere to be found. He & Crief have been phased out completely and it may be time for them to cut their losses. If this team is serious about contending in the postseason then they will need to find WRs that can contribute. I'd like to see more from Johnson on PR before I feel confident letting Switz go. But Crief is dead weight at this point. Hate to talk about Boz for fear of him playing groundhog & reatreating back into his hole, but damn he looks good. Glad to have him back to his probowl ways. Hell even Berry averaged close to 50yds per punt last night. That's almost unheard of. A

3c1wvy.jpg

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good reaction from Boz. His wife is a smokeshow. Loved the look though... "Dammit Juju"

:D

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlin/Butler…A

Granted they were facing backup caliber players, not the Whitworth area OL…the front 7 dominated in the passing game. Dalton was under constant pressure….Seemingly every other dropback he was pressure. Have to give credit where due, Dupree gets the strip sack to head line the total 8 bags and 12 QB hits on the night.

Mixon was a solid weapon, averaging over 4 YPC, but the ILBs were free to roam. Barron (11) and Bush (9) combined for 20 tackles, a sack, 4 TFL, and a pick. Coupled with multiple passes defended by the backend, this was the most complete DEF effort seen in quite some time. It was nice to see Butler get Alualu (got a sack), Ola, and even Elliott some snaps to keep the front seven fresh.

Side note…Tomlin’s record on challenges is awful, but he got that one right…no way was that offensive PI, but the refs are not going to yield on this.

Fichtner…B+

Clearly Randy took a page from the SF playbook. He took out the swing pass to the edge and installed the motion sweep power game using the speedy Johnson, and both RBs. I’m sure the thought was to get to two big DTs moving side to side and cut down on the vertical quickness of Geno. All 3 had success with the jet sweep, and that lead to some nice inside runs later in the game. Not a big night for Juju or Washington, the star of the night imo was Rudolph and Johnson redeeming himself nicely for the fumble. Very efficient night passing, he was patience and took the check down to the backs and was rewarded with some great run after catch performances by Samuels and Connor. The OL was in charge most of the night.

ST…A

I’m always a little jittery on kick returns, but overall coverage was good last night…Kicking game was about the best I’ve seen in quite a few games.

Summary…The desperate Steelers brought their A game and it was good enough to soundly beat the Bengals at home. The DEF specifically needs to take the effort everywhere they go. The OFC was effective, and showed some new twists with the roll out motion. A lot to like…Now bring it again vs BAL this week!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could you imagine if AB got 3 catches for 15yds in a win like this? There would have been fireworks today. The silence today is fucking breathtaking.

JuJu is a godamn saint & a national treasure that we must protect at all times.

I motion to vote that @Bridgeburner gets a ¢unt punt for every time he calls him Limas again.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp.

That was nice. Can we please see some more of THAT each week??

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching... Fichtner got some much needed aid from his O-line to be able to call such a gimmicky game. I'll give him credit though, he successfully took the pressure off of Mason and allowed him to feel more comfortable. Aside from a few gaffs (see spoiler), he called relatively clean situational football. That's what this team needs if they want to continue to progress this season. Now the trick is seeing what Fichtner will do with tape out there on his gimmicky plays. Lots of misdirection, RPOs, wildcat, pony & jet sweeps aren't going to cut it against a tougher front. Looked like college football to me. At some point he will have to let Mason air it out more. He called up a couple of beauty combo routes to free people up. Need to see more of that. But I'll say this, Mason needed this game to boost his confidence and get him on the right track. Butler's defense was stout. Good mix of blitz packages and man coverage schemes to play uber aggressive. This felt reminiscent of his 2015 defense. I liked the aggressiveness from the coaches against an inferior opponent. I suspected they would play down to the Bengals, but they didn't. So hats off to them and hopefully that continues. Just hope they don't expect the same gameplans to work every week. Gotta mix it up and give fresh looks. Not going to crown them with a stellar grade because I don't think the Bengals are a good enough gauge of what this team is worth. You can call it pessimistic, but I'll call it realistic. B+

Offense... Rudolph looked in rhythm. Gameplan & a stout O-line helped him immensely, giving him time & keeping the defense off his keys. He still looks hesitant to take the deep shots as I saw his eyes downfield numerous times only to check down to a shorter route. Luckily for him the run game was dominating and he didn't need to take those shots. Smart football, but again, eventually he'll need to establish himself as a passer. The run game isn't always going to bail him out like this. B+

Defense... Stellar showing from this group. And this is exactly what I suspected would happen if the offense was able to give them life in the 2nd half. Swarming from top to bottom. The front 7 had an easy assignment dispatching a patchwork & depleted Cincy O-line. I'd like to see this sort of performance through 4 quarters against a tougher team. Of which we shall see next week. The DBs were on lockdown. For most, it was a quiet night. And that is a beautiful thing for a secondary. You can tell Fitzpatrick is doing a great job with communication out there. Haven't seen too many coverage mistakes with him in there, which is exactly what this team needed. Haden & Hilton looked stellar. And I will continue to toot this horn, Sutton looks ready to start. I loved how clean these guys were able to play in their lanes tonight. Especially for the run blitzers & DBs jetstreaming their assignments. Looked like a much more confident group tonight and everyone was doing their job and playing well together. Hell even Dupree & Barron looked good, which really says something. Next week against BAL will be a better gauge for this unit. A

ST... Holton on KR, Johnson on PR... Switzer nowhere to be found. He & Crief have been phased out completely and it may be time for them to cut their losses. If this team is serious about contending in the postseason then they will need to find WRs that can contribute. I'd like to see more from Johnson on PR before I feel confident letting Switz go. But Crief is dead weight at this point. Hate to talk about Boz for fear of him playing groundhog & reatreating back into his hole, but damn he looks good. Glad to have him back to his probowl ways. Hell even Berry averaged close to 50yds per punt last night. That's almost unheard of. A

3c1wvy.jpg

OFC...it was a little gimmicky, but I like it...loved the misdirection. Against this team with Billings and Atkins inside, the jet sweep was the ideal play to get them going lateral. Great job of Rudolph taking what the DEF was giving him, and even better job of RAC by the RBs.

Note...88 (Vannett) did get a lot of snaps last night, mostly as a blocker, but actually caught a couple balls. Moncrief is likely in Tomlin's doghouse...they all eventually are allowed out, but it might be a while before we see him in a game and targeted.

DEF...they beat up on an inferior OL, but when you're trying to get that 1st W in your 4th game played, you take no prisoners. The backend of the DEF played their best game of the season easily.

ST...Switzer...I'm comfortable with him making the right decision and securing the catch...he's not a weapon though and on OFC I don't see him in the picture as much with Mason running the show.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could you imagine if AB got 3 catches for 15yds in a win like this? There would have been fireworks today. The silence today is fucking breathtaking.

JuJu is a godamn saint & a national treasure that we must protect at all times.

I motion to vote that @Bridgeburner gets a ¢unt punt for every time he calls him Limas again.
HAHAHAHA!!!

Love me some Lim... ah, JuJu!

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like you guys have said. Great showing against a subpar team. Can we do that against a quality team? No idea. The offense seemed gimmicky and unsustainable. We still need to see Mason attack the defense. But... that was the right gameplan and the execution was there. Credit when due.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OFC...it was a little gimmicky, but I like it...loved the misdirection. Against this team with Billings and Atkins inside, the jet sweep was the ideal play to get them going lateral. Great job of Rudolph taking what the DEF was giving him, and even better job of RAC by the RBs.

Note...88 (Vannett) did get a lot of snaps last night, mostly as a blocker, but actually caught a couple balls. Moncrief is likely in Tomlin's doghouse...they all eventually are allowed out, but it might be a while before we see him in a game and targeted.

DEF...they beat up on an inferior OL, but when you're trying to get that 1st W in your 4th game played, you take no prisoners. The backend of the DEF played their best game of the season easily.

ST...Switzer...I'm comfortable with him making the right decision and securing the catch...he's not a weapon though and on OFC I don't see him in the picture as much with Mason running the show.
Good point on the sweeps to take the strength out of the Cincy front. Vannett did an admirable job, and I liked his presence in the passing attack. Hopefully another week of practice will get him more in tuned with Rudolph. I saw Mason giving him some coaching during & after some of the huddles.

WRs... Scares me to think of an injury occuring to the top 3. Because calling up any one of Holton, Crief or Switz will limit the playbook. If Mason & Washington start to connect on the deep ball then I'll feel a lot more comfortable with this group. Until then, I'm going to hope they make a move to acquire a capable WR. I'm all for them bringing Eli Rogers back and cutting Switz.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was some funny shit last night...
Juju is a godsend. Steelers need to lock him up the second this season is over with. Then worry about locking up Watt & Conner.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was great to watch this team finally get a win! Complete all around solid effort by the Steelers. Mason Rudolph was ready to play along with the running game. The defense played with a purpose, even Bud Dupree. Not sold on him yet. He has to keep on playing better. Nick Vannett was impressive for a guy who just joined the team less than a week ago. Have to put together a winning streak now.

HERE WE GO STEELERS!

HERE WE GO!

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3c1wvy.jpg

Not to Piss in your Cheerios, but Cincinnati is bad. What happened last night was no great feat.
They won't be able to run this sort game against a team like the Ravens, and we'll get to see that this weekend.

I'm happy we got the win, it'll build some confidence, but it's going to get your down when an actual team steps on the field. We were just the better of the 2 shitty teams on the field!!!!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to Piss in your Cheerios, but Cincinnati is bad. What happened last night was no great feat.
They won't be able to run this sort game against a team like the Ravens, and we'll get to see that this weekend.

I'm happy we got the win, it'll build some confidence, but it's going to get your down when an actual team steps on the field. We were just the better of the 2 shitty teams on the field!!!!
Not pissing in my cheerios! I said the exact same things in my post.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point on the sweeps to take the strength out of the Cincy front. Vannett did an admirable job, and I liked his presence in the passing attack. Hopefully another week of practice will get him more in tuned with Rudolph. I saw Mason giving him some coaching during & after some of the huddles.

WRs... Scares me to think of an injury occuring to the top 3. Because calling up any one of Holton, Crief or Switz will limit the playbook. If Mason & Washington start to connect on the deep ball then I'll feel a lot more comfortable with this group. Until then, I'm going to hope they make a move to acquire a capable WR. I'm all for them bringing Eli Rogers back and cutting Switz.

Gameplan...it was perfect situational game planning...I didn't recall seeing their 5 DL sub pkg, but there were a few plays they employed a jumbo pkg... #91, #97, and #99...3 DTs! Pushing them wide with suspect LBs proved to be a good strategy...the wildcat stuff you can't really count on that working week in week out, but last night it was perfecto.

WR...:agree:

Without Ben, Switzer is not going to get many targets and while he makes good decisions in the return game, he's not a difference maker with the ball in his hands....Holton imo just needs to keep working, the tape is out on him now, every team is looking for him to go deep.

DEF...You mentioned Sutton in your earlier post...I wanted to touch on that...he finally got to show his skills when they went dime...very interesting that Hargrave was in on some passing down last night...got my office door closed and watching the condensed version again.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gameplan...it was perfect situational game planning...I didn't recall seeing their 5 DL sub pkg, but there were a few plays they employed a jumbo pkg... #91, #97, and #99...3 DTs! Pushing them wide with suspect LBs proved to be a good strategy...the wildcat stuff you can't really count on that working week in week out, but last night it was perfecto.

WR...:agree:

Without Ben, Switzer is not going to get many targets and while he makes good decisions in the return game, he's not a difference maker with the ball in his hands....Holton imo just needs to keep working, the tape is out on him now, every team is looking for him to go deep.

DEF...You mentioned Sutton in your earlier post...I wanted to touch on that...he finally got to show his skills when they went dime...very interesting that Hargrave was in on some passing down last night...got my office door closed and watching the condensed version again.
Good stuff as always. Interested to hear about your 2nd/3rd viewings to see more of what we didn't catch live.

Sutton... I'm amazed at the impact he has had in limited snaps. Appears to be phenomenal outside the hashes

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff as always. Interested to hear about your 2nd/3rd viewings to see more of what we didn't catch live.

Sutton... I'm amazed at the impact he has had in limited snaps. Appears to be phenomenal outside the hashes

The all22 tape won't drop for another day or so, but this morning watching the condensed tape...initially I thought their OTs had a bad game, but watching the interior play, the DL boys just lit their OL up across the board...Hargrave, Heyward, Tuitt and Alualu all made plays...recently (the last 3 yrs or so), I've felt that the Steeler DL was just better than the Bengals OL...last night was an example of that...and that kinda leads into what @Psych-Ward was saying about the competition.

Sutton/backend play...They played about the same mix of man and zone, sure, CIN hit some open holes in the zone like normal, but my gosh they were defending the ball like I haven't seen in a long time. Nelson was the one CB playing off coverage the most and he gave up a few passes, but overall that was the best defending collectively I've seen in quite some time.

At least on DEF, the struggle here is how much can we chalk up to CIN just not having the horses up front? The OFC, those were their starters, many of them good players, but we know that is not going to work like it did last night, but I like putting that on tape to give them something else to work on.