• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wish we would tank out the rest of the season

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Matt Ryan even playing? Why are we trying so hard to win games?

We need to TANK so we can draft as high as possible. We need DL and OL and LBs BADLY.

What difference will it make if we end up at 5-11, 4-12 or 3-13? Only one. We'll draft higher at 3-13.

Thoughts?

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never understood this line of thinking. I get the benefit of having a high draft pick, but NEVER at the cost of trying to fail as a team.

This is just not the correct professional stance to take regarding a franchise. Maybe as a fan, but never as a franchise.

What does that really say about the character of a team, player or organization? That is a far worse indictment in my eyes.

bravesfan

simpobissible=making the simple into impossible
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The falcons definitely need to play back ups to see who can play and who cant, no use keeping dead weight around.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never understood this line of thinking. I get the benefit of having a high draft pick, but NEVER at the cost of trying to fail as a team.

This is just not the correct professional stance to take regarding a franchise. Maybe as a fan, but never as a franchise.

What does that really say about the character of a team, player or organization? That is a far worse indictment in my eyes.

As I've said in other threads, tanking will consistently get your players into bad habits and that will cancel out the benefits of getting a high draft pick.

The Hawks are not my team but I HATE the idea of tanking! For any team, even those like the Sinstripes or the Wooden Knickles I want to see finish below .500 every year.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By tanking, I mean play second and third string guys only. I didn't say to just give the opponent the victory. Let's see what our bench and practice squad guys can do.

And why are we risking an injury to Ryan? We already know our first string guys can't protect him. Playing him right now is just plain stupid.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he means trying to fail. I'm with this too. I want a high draft pick. With that said the last few weeks I think backups should have gotten a lot more time than they have had. Coach Smith has done well inserting Antone Smith, Darius Johnson etc in to play. However, on defense only a few guys have really gotten to play.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Matt Ryan even playing? Why are we trying so hard to win games?

We need to TANK so we can draft as high as possible. We need DL and OL and LBs BADLY.

What difference will it make if we end up at 5-11, 4-12 or 3-13? Only one. We'll draft higher at 3-13.

Thoughts?

Idk about benching our franchise QB, but I am certainly onboard with tanking. No reason to win for pride now.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk about benching our franchise QB, but I am certainly onboard with tanking. No reason to win for pride now.

The problems I have with Ryan playing are:

1. We just invested $106 million in him.
2. We just signed him for the next 10 years.
3. For him to get a career ending injury would be the worst thing that has ever happened to this franchise!
4. We have no chance to get into the playoffs. We are mathematically eliminated. Even if everybody else loses all their games and we win ours, we still don't get in.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nice thing about sports is that while a franchise might try to tank, the players that are actually on the field never will.

Why? Because they are playing for bigger contracts, higher trade value, etc.

And why would the guys that are there want to move up in in the draft? So some 22 year old can come take their job? No thanks.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nice thing about sports is that while a franchise might try to tank, the players that are actually on the field never will.

Why? Because they are playing for bigger contracts, higher trade value, etc.

And why would the guys that are there want to move up in in the draft? So some 22 year old can come take their job? No thanks.

Exactly. So the 2nd and 3rd stringers will play their hearts out to get and keep their jobs. Let's not kid ourselves here. Most of the first stringers are already going to be out of a job. So why play them so they can get hurt and have no trade value?

And if 2nd and 3rd stringers can win games then we just discovered something big here!

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By tanking, I mean play second and third string guys only. I didn't say to just give the opponent the victory. Let's see what our bench and practice squad guys can do.

And why are we risking an injury to Ryan? We already know our first string guys can't protect him. Playing him right now is just plain stupid.

"Tanking," as I and most other fans use the the phrase, means trying to avoid winning.What you're talking about is giving benchies minutes, which RISKS losing but does not involve any more than that.

Please be more careful with your phrasing in future.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Tanking," as I and most other fans use the the phrase, means trying to avoid winning.What you're talking about is giving benchies minutes, which RISKS losing but does not involve any more than that.

Please be more careful with your phrasing in future.

by willingly playing players that you know give you less of a chance to win, you are tanking.

you can do it under the guise of "protecting franchise players" and what not, but it is still tanking.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
by willingly playing players that you know give you less of a chance to win, you are tanking.

you can do it under the guise of "protecting franchise players" and what not, but it is still tanking.

It's NOT tanking because you're starters can't play 48 minutes and your benchies do need experience.

RISKING losing is okay, tanking isn't!

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. It's easy for us as fans to wish that our team would tank when it seems to make sense. But it's not that simple. An organization can't just flip the switch that easy and start trying to lose.

There was one season with the Titans where it seemed like the perfect opportunity to take it easy and lose. Reporters asked Jeff Fisher if the Titans would play to lose. "Never as long as I'm in charge. That's never what we do."

In hockey, baseball or basketball you plays subs and there's either 82 or 162 games. It's just not the same in football. You have to try to win them all or give the fans their money back.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. It's easy for us as fans to wish that our team would tank when it seems to make sense. But it's not that simple. An organization can't just flip the switch that easy and start trying to lose.

There was one season with the Titans where it seemed like the perfect opportunity to take it easy and lose. Reporters asked Jeff Fisher if the Titans would play to lose. "Never as long as I'm in charge. That's never what we do."

In hockey, baseball or basketball you plays subs and there's either 82 or 162 games. It's just not the same in football. You have to try to win them all or give the fans their money back.

Even in football you have to play benchies occasionally to keep your regulars healthy.

Knowing when to do it is a part of coaching whatever sport you're talking about.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's NOT tanking because you're starters can't play 48 minutes and your benchies do need experience.

RISKING losing is okay, tanking isn't!

meh, i respectfully disagree.

if you as a coach or owner are putting making game decisions that you know reduce your chances of winning, you are tanking. that's my opinion but i bet a lot of people would agree.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meh, i respectfully disagree.

if you as a coach or owner are putting making game decisions that you know reduce your chances of winning, you are tanking. that's my opinion but i bet a lot of people would agree.

Hoping your regulars can play every minute of every game is unrealistic.

Ignoring signs that your regulars are too tired to play their best is also bad.

Benchies need actual game time, regulars need to catch their breath now and then, so it balances out.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping your regulars can play every minute of every game is unrealistic.

Ignoring signs that your regulars are too tired to play their best is also bad.

Benchies need actual game time, regulars need to catch their breath now and then, so it balances out.

it's one thing to give your starting defensive lineman a break one series a half or something.

it's another to shut down your pro bowlers at thanksgiving for the season.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he means trying to fail. I'm with this too. I want a high draft pick. With that said the last few weeks I think backups should have gotten a lot more time than they have had. Coach Smith has done well inserting Antone Smith, Darius Johnson etc in to play. However, on defense only a few guys have really gotten to play.

Tank is a strong word, but I get the the OPs point...(actually wouldn't mind if PIT played young guys) The young DL guys are getting more time now...Nothing for Ryan to prove or learn over these next 2 games...Dominique Davis needs more snaps vs live bullets.

You play to win, but these young players can use the experience whether it be in a win or loss.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tank is a strong word, but I get the the OPs point...(actually wouldn't mind if PIT played young guys) The young DL guys are getting more time now...Nothing for Ryan to prove or learn over these next 2 games...Dominique Davis needs more snaps vs live bullets.

You play to win, but these young players can use the experience whether it be in a win or loss.

If Ryan gets hurt in one of these meaningless games, I AM GOING TO BE ONE PISSED MUTHA!