• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wish List

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still laughing? Lester just shot down the Giants and only used them as leverage.

No, we used Lester as leverage to get someone to overpay.

Three WSC's in five years. Someday we'll clue you in as to how it is done.

Now eat it. And beat it.

:lol:

But it's OK, we're all laughing AT you, not WITH you.

:lol:

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry, we'll be laughing at the cubbies soon enough.

I don't know. I think things are going to get very interesting in Chicago over the next few seasons. I like what they are doing out there. As for Lester, If he doesn't want to come here; fuck him.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit guys, just ignore the troll.

I did a rough figuring that the tax differences over the life of the contract are probably a minimum of $6M. That's nothing to sneeze at. And he got a *vesting* 7th option year (at a rumored $25M) into his Cubbies contract, also nothing to sneeze at.

I have mixed feeling about Lester. I don't like to see the Giants spurned. But that's huge contract for a 30 year old pitcher who isn't anywhere near the best pitcher in MLB. $25M/yr for 6 years is just insane. For a pitcher who isn't great, just one of the better ones available and who will be 36 at the end of his contract. That would have been a crippling contract, Zito-esque even.

The team should now try and improve via trade. Look for teams that are trying to shed salary (like the Mets and the Phillies) and see what they need. Giants are rumored to be in trade talks with the Mets for Dillon Gee ( link ). He's no Hamels or Lester, but he's a decent #3 (and maybe even better than that at AT&T). He'd be under control for 2 years for relatively cheap. If they go that route, they could sign a moderately expensive FA hitter (15-20M, 3-5 years). Also, there's the Hamels thing. He has asked the Phillies for a trade. He's expensive ($22.5M/yr thru 2018, and a vesting option for 2019) but at least he IS one of the best pitchers in all of baseball. But adding that kind of salary would mean another year of black hole offense in LF.

One the other hand Gee would make a trade for Upton afordable. It was rumored that ATL was packaging Upton and Chris Johnson - that could have been a great trade.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're the tool that wants the cheater Melky back.

Fans like you are a disgrace, no pride in doing something the right way.

Cal -- this seem like non-toolish behavior to you?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cal -- this seem like non-toolish behavior to you?

Never said he wasn't toolish ;) (jk)

I don't want to have a long discussion about people personally on the open boards. That will certainly not end well for anyone, so let's not drag this out.

My point is just that we have a tendency here to jump down the throats of new posters or posters who say things we don't agree with. This is nothing I have not said in the past. Ignore it if you like. Just my $0.02.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're the tool that wants the cheater Melky back.

Fans like you are a disgrace, no pride in doing something the right way.

Is not offering someone forgiveness "doing something the right way"?

If you are not a Giants fan, and all you do is come here to cause trouble, what are you doing here?

Seriously, don't you have something better to do with your life?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is not offering someone forgiveness "doing something the right way"?

If you are not a Giants fan, and all you do is come here to cause trouble, what are you doing here?

Seriously, don't you have something better to do with your life?

The very definition of "troll."

:doh:

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, to get off the tiresome "troll accusation" nonsense and back on topic, I had a premonition this morning that the Giants were going to sign Scherzer. My hope though is that they get both Scherzer and Upton. That woulkd set the Giants up nicely.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, to get off the tiresome "troll accusation" nonsense and back on topic, I had a premonition this morning that the Giants were going to sign Scherzer. My hope though is that they get both Scherzer and Upton. That woulkd set the Giants up nicely.

Signing Scherzer scares me, but it would certainly be worth the #19 pick. That would also open the door to any other QO FA signings as well, although I doubt they have the funds for Scherzer, Upton, Johnson AND
Shields.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing Scherzer scares me, but it would certainly be worth the #19 pick. That would also open the door to any other QO FA signings as well, although I doubt they have the funds for Scherzer, Upton, Johnson AND
Shields.

Yeah, I think Scherzer will be too expensive in the long run, but the next couple years would be sweet.

I would be VERY happy with Headley, Shields, and Rasmus. Or Melky instead of Rasmus. I think Upton/Johnson would cripple our already thinnish minors. We're producing some nice players on a regular basis, and I would like to see that pipeline continue to improve.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think Scherzer will be too expensive in the long run, but the next couple years would be sweet.

I would be VERY happy with Headley, Shields, and Rasmus. Or Melky instead of Rasmus. I think Upton/Johnson would cripple our already thinnish minors. We're producing some nice players on a regular basis, and I would like to see that pipeline continue to improve.

I don't think Upton/Johnson would cost too much. The Braves are trying to shed payroll, and Johnson is WAY over paid.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shields.
I hear you on Scherzer but I feel the same way about Shields. Seems to me he made his rep off of a couple of good post season stints. He got exposed a little this year. I guess Johnson comes with Upton but I've always wanted Upton. We've needed a right handed power guy for so long.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you on Scherzer but I feel the same way about Shields. Seems to me he made his rep off of a couple of good post season stints. He got exposed a little this year. I guess Johnson comes with Upton but I've always wanted Upton. We've needed a right handed power guy for so long.

Nah, Shields has been the epitome of steady. 8 consecutive 200+ IP seasons, 7/8 of those seasons with ERA+ well over 100, 3+ WAR. Definitely NOT a couple of good post seasons.