• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Wisconsin vs. Kentucky

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wisconsin's big outside shooting will be the difference. As good as Randle is, his ability to close out and to help on the weak side is pathetic. He also gets beat downcourt in transition all the time.

I think Kentucky could win this, but I think the maturity and discipline of Wisky will prevail.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While all that is true; teams have to respect the strengths and exploit the weaknesses of their opponents. Just don't think Wisconsin is going to have the inside success against Kentucky as they did against Arizona. I think the Harrisons are the folks that can be exploited. Louisville did a good job of trapping them and taking the ball away. Wisconsin can win this game; they aren't going to do it by beating up the inside guys.

Can you stop saying that? Harrison's had 3 turnovers in that game. It just is not true. Young and Randle onthe other hand, can make some ugly decisions.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this a good and appropriate time to mention Michigan was one of the most offensive efficient collegiate bball teams in decades...and the Detroit Tigs are in 1st place... Carry on. :suds:

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you stop saying that? Harrison's had 3 turnovers in that game. It just is not true. Young and Randle onthe other hand, can make some ugly decisions.

Sorry; just think that's where Kentucky can be had. Those two are freshmen and even though they will both be great; it's just not this year. If I'm Wisconsin, I do some trapping and lay some screens on them to get guys open. Wisconsin has the quicker guards and some excellent 3 point shooting. Still have to get the ball inside to Kaminski, but it should be noted when he's shooting; it better go in. I don't think Kentucky is going to allow him to put the ball on the floor as did Arizona. Let's be honest, that last 3 Andrew threw up was a prayer and it went in. He is just not that good. Michigan and Louisville could have very easily won those games. Kentucky won them; so that's a good thing. I'm just saying what I would do; Bo has not called me for my opinion so my opinion doesn't mean a thing.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry; just think that's where Kentucky can be had. Those two are freshmen and even though they will both be great; it's just not this year. If I'm Wisconsin, I do some trapping and lay some screens on them to get guys open. Wisconsin has the quicker guards and some excellent 3 point shooting. Still have to get the ball inside to Kaminski, but it should be noted when he's shooting; it better go in. I don't think Kentucky is going to allow him to put the ball on the floor as did Arizona. Let's be honest, that last 3 Andrew threw up was a prayer and it went in. He is just not that good. Michigan and Louisville could have very easily won those games. Kentucky won them; so that's a good thing. I'm just saying what I would do; Bo has not called me for my opinion so my opinion doesn't mean a thing.

There is no way Wisconsin is going to press. Louisville has twice the speed in the backcourt and it didnt work. Louisville is actually a pressing team, Wisconsin is not. I am not convinced WIsky has a speed advantage at guard. If it is, it is not major. No idea why Wisconsin would abandon every principle they have at this pt. Harrison was 4-6 from 3 pt. I am not sure that was a prayer, just a guarded 3. Lets not pretend he was running and threw it from half court. If I am Wisconsin, I do exactly what Michigan attempted to do. You pack it in, yield the 3 ball and force UK to make 3s. I would rather go out forcing UK to hit 3s than allowing them to dominate the paint.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate that tall white dude (his name shall not be spoken)

You've gotta both follow and box-out Lurch (Michigan has learned the hard way). Getting a second guy on him for the strip is wise but easier said than done. He moves well with the ball and is an intelligent passer...just 4 turnovers for him in this tournament? It's not easy defending a man that size with good skills. Kentucky does have plenty of length to match him. It'll be interesting to see both game plans.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way Wisconsin is going to press. Louisville has twice the speed in the backcourt and it didnt work. Louisville is actually a pressing team, Wisconsin is not. I am not convinced WIsky has a speed advantage at guard. If it is, it is not major. No idea why Wisconsin would abandon every principle they have at this pt. Harrison was 4-6 from 3 pt. I am not sure that was a prayer, just a guarded 3. Lets not pretend he was running and threw it from half court. If I am Wisconsin, I do exactly what Michigan attempted to do. You pack it in, yield the 3 ball and force UK to make 3s. I would rather go out forcing UK to hit 3s than allowing them to dominate the paint.

Never said press. Said trap. I mentioned once before I didn't think Wisconsin would press because they don't want the ball in the Kentucky bigs with just 3 defenders. When Andrew Harrison starts dribbling the ball around the key to the side of the court; that's the place to put 2 guys on him. A couple of turnovers can change the whole game.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said press. Said trap. I mentioned once before I didn't think Wisconsin would press because they don't want the ball in the Kentucky bigs with just 3 defenders. When Andrew Harrison starts dribbling the ball around the key to the side of the court; that's the place to put 2 guys on him. A couple of turnovers can change the whole game.

Just not who they are. WIsconsin succeeds in a world of order. They do not want to speed up the game and have chaos. Might work to throw UK of on a possession or 2, but it is a recipe for disaster. They are better off running their offense and making UK's bigs chase their bigs around the 3 pt line. To me there is nothing dumber for a coach to do than to change who you are now. You make small adjustments and run what got you here.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets be honest... earlier in the year, the Harrison's consistency was horrid. Back then, I would have packed everyone in the lane, and other than Young, let them shoot all day.

Problem is, the last few weeks it appears that they are started to shoot a lot better from outside and they are starting to make crazy driving layups a la Scottie Wilbekin...

This makes UK very dangerous right now.... so if I am Bo, I am going to try to get the UK big men out on the perimeter.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets be honest... earlier in the year, the Harrison's consistency was horrid. Back then, I would have packed everyone in the lane, and other than Young, let them shoot all day.

Problem is, the last few weeks it appears that they are started to shoot a lot better from outside and they are starting to make crazy driving layups a la Scottie Wilbekin...

This makes UK very dangerous right now.... so if I am Bo, I am going to try to get the UK big men out on the perimeter.

He will will probably do that on offense, though I am not sure that is as big a worry when Wisky has the ball. UK is bigger at the 1,2, and 3 also. Not sure you win the boards with 6'1", 6'2", and 6'3" vs 6'6", 6'6", and 6'7". The 5 is the only spot where height is even. The other thing is bringing Dakari or Randle out does not quite the same effect as bringing Cauley Stein out. UK will miss his shot blocking. His athleticism makes him an excellent off ball shot blocker.
I completely agree on Harrison. He was a major liability early in the year.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think Cauley-Stein has better mobility to cover the three point shooting effectively but still be able to recover down low on the drives or kick and help side.

I agree that Dakari and Randle just aren't as good moving their feet.

And Lee is an unknown to me... he looks much quicker on his feet than Dakari or Randle. Maybe he is the x factor?

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, UK is finally figuring themselves out. That's why I'm quite sure we'll all be pulling for Wisky on Sat.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it certain that Cauley-Stein isn't playing Saturday night?

I think one of the keys, regardless of Cauley-Stein's playing status, if big Frank can force Kentucky to need to bring a double to him other guys will get wide open. Throughout the entirety of the tournament Trae Jackson has played smart and under control basketball, that will need to continue. Consistently limiting Kentucky to 1 shot per possession will be vital.

I think this will be a little like the Arizona game in that it will be a close, grind it out kind of basketball game.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it certain that Cauley-Stein isn't playing Saturday night?

He's not playing. He's listed as "doubtful" which serves two purposes. It forces Ryan to prepare for playing a UK team with and without him. (and since he's certainly the guy that would be guarding Kaminsky, you can't just ignore him if he plays. He'd be a pivotal player if he's on the court) And the other reason he's listed as "doubtful" is so it won't hurt his potential draft stock (as much) should he choose to make the leap after the season is over. It likely wouldn't make a huge difference, but GMs get weird about injured players sometimes.

Regardless, he's not playing.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not me; I have supported Kentucky all year and stated many times, come tournament time, they will show up ready to play. Both Wisconsin and Florida had an easier path to the final 4 as Kentucky did the heavy lifting and that will make them a better team. I think Kentucky wins this one going away.

That said, there is a certain joy out of giving back losses to teams that beat Florida earlier in the season. I get it: Florida was missing key players....doesn't matter...a loss is a loss and pay back is sweet.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky has done a nice job of coming together as the season has progressed. They're going to be tough to beat, but I sincerely doubt Kentucky will shoot 7-11 from 3 again or whatever ridiculous number they shot vs. Michigan

Michigan is by no mean significantly better than Wisconsin, and Kentucky only beat them by 3. So, to say that this game will be a blowout is completely false, in my opinion.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This fuckin' week is taking forever. Let's go already!

3 of the idiots on CNBC's "Fast Money" just picked UW over UConn in the finals. So, I guess UF vs. UK it will be!

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not me; I have supported Kentucky all year and stated many times, come tournament time, they will show up ready to play. Both Wisconsin and Florida had an easier path to the final 4 as Kentucky did the heavy lifting and that will make them a better team. I think Kentucky wins this one going away.

That said, there is a certain joy out of giving back losses to teams that beat Florida earlier in the season. I get it: Florida was missing key players....doesn't matter...a loss is a loss and pay back is sweet.
:agree:

Yeah I am torn on it... I would normally root for UK.. but I would also like to get a shot at Wisky again since the 1st game, although close, we were missing star players from our lineup and had to use Walker as a point guard which was just painful to watch.