• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Wisconsin vs. Kentucky

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky can't allow Kaminiski to roam around as did Arizona. I'm surprised at Sean Miller allowing that guy to beat him. Tarzewski was no match for Kaminski and should have gotten more help from Gordon and/or Jefferson. In addition, Arizona did a poor job of blocking him out. Kentucky can and will learn from those mistakes and will have big bodies on that guy; Randle and Johnson will do just fine with help from Lee and Poythress. It's all about the matchups. Gordon did a stellar job on Decker. Kentucky does not have anyone that talented so I Look for Dekker to have a better game.

I thought the Michigan Kentucky 2nd half was some of the best basketball played in the tournament. Kentucky made adjustments on Stauskas as he only scored 4 points in the 2nd half, however had some great assists. Kentucky had a great 2nd half, for them, outside the arc and if they shoot like that, especially Andrew Harrison. Wisconsin is in big trouble. I don't see that happening, so the game should be close.

I read the OP's article and agree that Poythress needs to step up, however there is a lot more inside help to keep Kaminski from doing what he did to Arizona.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky can't allow Kaminiski to roam around as did Arizona. I'm surprised at Sean Miller allowing that guy to beat him. Tarzewski was no match for Kaminski and should have gotten more help from Gordon and/or Jefferson. In addition, Arizona did a poor job of blocking him out. Kentucky can and will learn from those mistakes and will have big bodies on that guy; Randle and Johnson will do just fine with help from Lee and Poythress. It's all about the matchups. Gordon did a stellar job on Decker. Kentucky does not have anyone that talented so I Look for Dekker to have a better game.

I thought the Michigan Kentucky 2nd half was some of the best basketball played in the tournament. Kentucky made adjustments on Stauskas as he only scored 4 points in the 2nd half, however had some great assists. Kentucky had a great 2nd half, for them, outside the arc and if they shoot like that, especially Andrew Harrison. Wisconsin is in big trouble. I don't see that happening, so the game should be close.

I read the OP's article and agree that Poythress needs to step up, however there is a lot more inside help to keep Kaminski from doing what he did to Arizona.

Michigan was sagging in on UK. They were running 3 guys at Randle. Michigan dared UK to hit 3 to shots. It was pretty much all they could do. UK was smart in not settling for just 3s, because they had open 3s for most of the game. Cauley Stein's loss will be felt in this game. He would been a great match up for Kaminsky. I think the key is to bang Kaminsky with Lee, Dakari, and Poythress all game. He will score, but the key is to shut down the rest of the team. You do not want to double him. Key could be Poythress on offense. UK needs to make him work a bit on defense.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan was sagging in on UK. They were running 3 guys at Randle. Michigan dared UK to hit 3 to shots. It was pretty much all they could do. UK was smart in not settling for just 3s, because they had open 3s for most of the game. Cauley Stein's loss will be felt in this game. He would been a great match up for Kaminsky. I think the key is to bang Kaminsky with Lee, Dakari, and Poythress all game. He will score, but the key is to shut down the rest of the team. You do not want to double him. Key could be Poythress on offense. UK needs to make him work a bit on defense.

Yes, there are risks involved in doubling the center. Florida always doubles the person driving the lane or someone who has the ball in close. Our biggest guy is 6-9. As soon as the big man who can dribble starts moving, he gets an angle on the defender and that is a foul just waiting to happen. I agree with Billy Donovan(not that he needs it; LOL) that the person in close is the one who has the best chance to hurt you. Just have to be quick enough to get back to the ball when it goes back outside. Every team is different; Florida presses and traps the ball handler all game which pays dividends in the second half as those 3 point shots don't fall quite so easily. Don't know if the Harrisons have that kind of stamina, both being 6-6. Some how Kentucky has to keep Kaminski from putting the ball on the floor.

Yes, Michigan needed to help out inside against the bigger Cats; all teams do, because no team matches Kentucky inside. I thought Kentucky played that 2nd half as well as they can play and that last 3 by Andrew Harrison was not an easy shot. As I see it, Michigan did what they needed to win; Kentucky did it better.

I agree that Cauley- Stein will be missed, but how about that Lee. Sat on the bench all year and comes in and plays lights out. Can't believe Cal had a player like that on his bench and not play him more. One of the announcers stated Lee would give new meaning to "one and done"....one game and off to the pros.LOL At any rate, because Cauley-Stein is out, I believe that the inside needs help against Kaminski.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure UK will go after Kaminski on D and trying to draw fouls on O. Decker and the others will have to score a lot more. UW is great passing and UK needs to cut lanes and be unpredictable.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Cauley-Stein going to miss the Wisky game as well?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Cauley-Stein going to miss the Wisky game as well?

Not sure, but I am assuming he it is unlikely. Even if he plays I doubt he he will be at full strength.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game scares me. First I dont like the Bo Ryan vs Calipari match up. Wisconsin is goign to test UK's ability to play assignment basketball and patience. Neither are strengths of the team, even if they have played very well. Ryan will make this about basketball IQ and not about athletes.
That will certainly be the goal (as well as the only way that Wisconsin can win). Should be an interesting matchup.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky has the best talent - but Wisconsin has the best team.

Team > Talent this time.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm putting my vCash on UK. It's a better risk than buying vCash with the market near all time highs.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida vs Wiskey for the NC

Book it!

:suds:

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm putting my vCash on UK. It's a better risk than buying vCash with the market near all time highs.

I'm going to open a vCD. I'll get .25% interest in a couple of years.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been analyzing this one for a few days. VERY interesting matchup IMO.After looking at all the metrics, plugging in all the data the most likely outcome is a 4 point Badger win. That said its impossible to account for raw talent and UK has loads and loads of that. In the end I think the Kaminsky matchup will be too tough for Kentucky to handle but I think this one is RAZOR close. Wisconsin 75 Kentucky 73.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky is not like Arizona, a team that really had no answer for Kaminski. Kentucky will handle Kaminiski inside at the risk of Dekker, Brust, and Gasser lighting them up from the floor. No way does a team allow one person to score almost half the points and Kentucky will have none of that. Question I have: can the Harrisions handle the Wisconsin guards because that's where I think Wisconsin will be doing their damage. Also Kentucky has no Aaron Gordon to take out Sam Dekker; another guy who shoots the ball well. Kentucky has a lot of fouls to give inside; Wisconsin does not, so look for Kentucky to go right at Kaminiski and Randle is the guy who has the quickness and strength to drive the lane and draw the foul.

Sorry Milla, unless Wisconsin hits a boatload of 3's, Kentucky will romp. I'm thinking Kentucky by 8 as Wisconsin will hit some outside shots; just not enough.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky is not like Arizona, a team that really had no answer for Kaminski. Kentucky will handle Kaminiski inside at the risk of Dekker, Brust, and Gasser lighting them up from the floor. No way does a team allow one person to score almost half the points and Kentucky will have none of that. Question I have: can the Harrisions handle the Wisconsin guards because that's where I think Wisconsin will be doing their damage. Also Kentucky has no Aaron Gordon to take out Sam Dekker; another guy who shoots the ball well. Kentucky has a lot of fouls to give inside; Wisconsin does not, so look for Kentucky to go right at Kaminiski and Randle is the guy who has the quickness and strength to drive the lane and draw the foul.

Sorry Milla, unless Wisconsin hits a boatload of 3's, Kentucky will romp. I'm thinking Kentucky by 8 as Wisconsin will hit some outside shots; just not enough.

We shall see man. UK is a tough team to predict as their talent is so much more than their experience. Certainly hasnt slowed them down yet though. Should be a hell of an interesting game.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We shall see man. UK is a tough team to predict as their talent is so much more than their experience. Certainly hasnt slowed them down yet though. Should be a hell of an interesting game.

Yes, it will be an interesting game....and your are right...it's not a walk over as what final 4 game is???..either way; it was nice seeing your posts. Good luck with Iowa down the road.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is an interesting matchup, and is going to come down to strategy & execution much more than stats and efficiency ratings.

I think if both teams play the best possible game they can, UK wins by a pretty wide (by Final Four standards) margin.

Either way it looks like Frank The Tank is going to be the key. It's going to depend on how Ryan decides to utilize him on offense, and how UK decides to counter it.

He's an effective shooter from outside, and he's obviously a presence in the paint but I don't think you really have to worry about him taking anyone off the dribble. So if he decides to play outside, I think you put Marcus lee on him. He's long enough to guard him out there and you don't really have to worry about Kaminsky trying to take him off the dribble. I'm not sure that Ryan is going to try that though as the upside (freeing up the lane for your guards to penetrate, by getting one of the UK bigs out to guard Frank) outweighs the downside (effectively taking your best player out of the game on offense just to use as a decoy) I think it's more likely that he keeps Frank down low, where he can do some damage if Jackson and the other guards can get him the ball, as well as let him clean up on the offensive glass. If they do that I think UK will try Shank-a-Frank (TM) and just throw bigs at him all day to frustrate him. Even with Stein out, they have Randle, Johnson and the Lee kid. Poythress can't play the 5 but he can bang down low as a 4 too if need be.

I tend to agree with Runeman about the 3 point shooting. If Wisconsin is hitting a bucnh they'll be hard to stop but I'm not sure they've played anyone as tall as the UK guards so that could hurt them. (seemed to hurt Michigan... except Stauskis. That kid is a sicko and earned every bit of that B1G PotY award)

Another interesting thing to see will be how tight the game will be called and if UK can keep up their great numbers from the stripe. For the most part they've been making a living at the line. If they go cold, it could hurt them as well.

This reminds me a little of the UK Louisville game in that there really isn't an outcome that would shock me. Either team could win by 20 and it wouldn't shock me. It could come down to the wire again and I wouldn't be surprised. Ryan and Calipari could get ejected in the first 3 minutes after an epic mid court brawl, and I wouldn't be that surprised. (Well, I'd be surprised if Calipari won... Ryan's cantankerous old ass should whip Calipari)

So I'm not going to pick a winner on this one (and extend my streak of being wrong about everything) I'm just going to say it's going to be an awesome game to watch.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my good deed for the month...ALTs

Shank-a-Frank (TM)
Shank-a-Frank™ ALT0153
Shank-a-Frank® ALT0174
Shank-a-Frank© ALT0169

not positive, but I believe © would have been more appropriate than ™...even better would be a "pat.pend" on the process.