• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wilson wants to be Highest paid player?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with the bolded. You are not the only one that has voiced similar comments on that issue.

The agent will get roughly 3-5% of his clients income as the client gets paid. They do not receive the $ up front.
In the case of a RW contract, let's assume it is a $100M contract paying the agent $4M over the life of the contract. You think a guy would study up to get $4 million? Maybe even to an expert level?
If you are an "expert" MLB agent you have been proven to be smart as an owl and an effective negotiator willing to try any method to get you client the best deal which enhances you own income.
If you were to try to negotiate a major NFL contract for the 1st time, how difficult would it be to break down the top 5 or 10 completed NFL contracts? I mean break down every sentence, paragraph, work out bonus, signing bonus, roster bonus, guarantees ect ect. You could easily hire a couple of attorneys and an mathematician/capologist to do the dirty/boring work and still have millions left over.
For a very smart sports attorney with experience negotiating Major sports client contracts I say it will be time consuming but an easily understood endeavor.
My only question about this is why did RW select this guy?
Not sure if a baseball agent makes this harder or not. Wasn't going to be easy no matter what, because RW is a business kind of guy. I guess that a baseball agent makes you wonder if he'd like to break new ground by having a franchise QB play under a franchise tag. Don't think that has ever been done. Hope this isn't the first, but if it is...well so be it.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if a baseball agent makes this harder or not. Wasn't going to be easy no matter what, because RW is a business kind of guy. I guess that a baseball agent makes you wonder if he'd like to break new ground by having a franchise QB play under a franchise tag. Don't think that has ever been done. Hope this isn't the first, but if it is...well so be it.

I think it does make it harder, seeing as the top 16 players in MLB make 22-38 million a year. I think his agent is not really thinking about the fact that MLB teams can and have spent over 240 million a season to fill out a roster that is SMALLER than a NFL roster that also has a 148 million cap.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it does make it harder, seeing as the top 16 players in MLB make 22-38 million a year. I think his agent is not really thinking about the fact that MLB teams can and have spent over 240 million a season to fill out a roster that is SMALLER than a NFL roster that also has a 148 million cap.

Do you really think his agent is that ignorant?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with the bolded. You are not the only one that has voiced similar comments on that issue.

The agent will get roughly 3-5% of his clients income as the client gets paid. They do not receive the $ up front.
In the case of a RW contract, let's assume it is a $100M contract paying the agent $4M over the life of the contract. You think a guy would study up to get $4 million? Maybe even to an expert level?
If you are an "expert" MLB agent you have been proven to be smart as an owl and an effective negotiator willing to try any method to get you client the best deal which enhances you own income.
If you were to try to negotiate a major NFL contract for the 1st time, how difficult would it be to break down the top 5 or 10 completed NFL contracts? I mean break down every sentence, paragraph, work out bonus, signing bonus, roster bonus, guarantees ect ect. You could easily hire a couple of attorneys and an mathematician/capologist to do the dirty/boring work and still have millions left over.
For a very smart sports attorney with experience negotiating Major sports client contracts I say it will be time consuming but an easily understood endeavor.
My only question about this is why did RW select this guy?

And maybe you are right. I just think the difference between the two types of contracts is starting to show up in just what we have heard with what Wilson and his agent are trying to get with a new contract. I mean at one point there was talk of a fully guaranteed contract being what they were working towards so obviously some of his baseball work is coming into play in how he is trying to negotiate this contract. Either way I still think both sides figure something out eventually. Not like they are in a huge hurry as they have this year and next year if they want to FT him to get this whole thing figured out.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really think his agent is that ignorant?

read what i said, this is not about ignorance it's about where he is experience and he has 0 in negotiating a NFL contract so what experience is he leaning on? his baseball contract experience. He has no exp. in dealing with a salary cap.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
read what i said, this is not about ignorance it's about where he is experience and he has 0 in negotiating a NFL contract so what experience is he leaning on? his baseball contract experience. He has no exp. in dealing with a salary cap.

Like split said, contracts are public knowledge and it doesn't take much to compare them and project where your client fits in. IMO, approaching a salary cap negotiation like a non salary cap negotiation is ignorant, regardless of experience. Most people following the situation understand that, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt of understanding it too.

I firmly believe that because of Wilson's circumstances, any agent would push this back in to TC to maximize value. Also remember that these guys don't meet every day. They meet every month or so, then leave a deal on the table. So far the reported numbers have only gone up, no agent worth their salt would advise a client to buckle now.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you consider RW's contract demands, you need to focus less on how much he makes in the first or second year of the deal and how it compares to his peers' contracts, and focus more on the later years of the deal and how it compares to his peers' contracts.

His demands may make him the highest paid player now, but 3-4 years from now he may not even be in the top 10 at his position. We all know the salary cap is going up in coming years, so the QB annual salary overall will be going up as well.

I think his contract demand (to be the current highest paid player) is OK because it will all even out over the lifetime of the contract. Now if he does sign such a contract and then demands to re-negotiate 3 years down the road? That would be complete bullshit. So, such a contract would have to contain a clause that stipulates that RW will honor the entire length of the deal with no future re-negotiation demands.