• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wilson set another new mark this season

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
539 yards rushing on the season was the most rushing yards by a Super Bowl winning QB in history.

Given how we saw what happened to Manning when the pocket collapses are Rogers, Wilson, and other mobile QB's evolving the position? I'm not saying running QB's. We have had those before and certainly there have been scramblers in the league in the past, but it does feel like there are some incredible athletes that can also still pass and be effective from the pocket emerging and is the league trending toward that?

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the league is starting to move in that direction, but I think it will continue to be the exception rather than the rule until some of the old guard at quarterback retire and as long as there are still coaches/GMs out there who think that the successful style/approach taken by guys like Wilson, Kaepernick, RGIII and Newton is a "flavor of the month" style/approach. It'll probably take more convincing for those guys than two Super Bowl appearances (Kaepernick and Wilson) and one Super Bowl win (Wilson) to get them to see that type of quarterback as something other than a gimmick with a short shelf life.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a lot of ignorance and hysteria over the read option last year in the NFL because of what was occuring on teams like SF, Seattle, and Washington. People were talking as if it was the defacto offense these teams were running, when in reality, they were running read option style plays anywhere from 7-10% of all offensive snaps. As if it was some gimmick like the wildcat that had just been recently invented. The read option has been around since the days of leather helmets.

Even on teams that still like to run the ball a lot like SF and Sea. We still require QBs that can pass the rock. And pass it at a very typical NFL completion avg. Wilson is not throwing game manager cute little dink and dunk passes 5 yds up the field every pass play. He's throwing big yardage strikes all the time.

You can't have your franchise QB running all the time. He's going to take too many blows from hard hitting NFL LBs and SSs.

I think what your just seeing is that in the NFL going forward, your going to want "athletic" QBs that can do it both. Luck is a nice example. He looks like your prototype NFL drop back passer coming out of Stanford, but he still can take off with nice speed and get you 1st downs with his legs if need be, or on a few designed plays for that. I think the days of the pure drop back passer who sits back like a statue and needs a monster Oline to give him all the time in the world to get those passes off are slowly coming to an end.

What makes Russell Wilson so good is that he can drop back pass, but he's also very good at the pump faking and throws on the move, and also being able to get some yds and 1sts with his legs when needed. It just opens up your playbook so much more and keep NFL defenses working harder to game plan and anticipate what your going to do on each play.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson hasn't been running nearly as much as his rookie season though… I think the coaching staff is reigning that in and he's adjusted nicely….

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson isn't running as much, but his mobility is a huge asset. He is at his best when he is on the run allowing his receivers more time to get open. He does need to slide on the run and I don't want him rushing 10 plays a game, but he isn't a statue in the pocket either and that makes him so much more dangerous.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
manning looked more like a game manager than wilson ever has.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
manning looked more like a game manager than wilson ever has.

That, I don't agree with at all. People have been hammering Manning as if he somehow not as good as he is. Manning is a master at reading a defense presnap and figuring out what they are doing, but Seattle doesn't tip their hand at all. Seattle runs all their play calls out of the same defensive looks. They blitz 7 from the same look that they drop 8. There isn't any little chance of knowing what Seattle is going to do until the ball snaps. The fact that Seattle is athletic enough to do it this way is really what sets them apart as a defense.