• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Fangio be back or not based on these numbers?

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can really bolster lines with 5 top 100 picks. I think it was way more boring football vs frustrating season. If Vic just switched coaches alot of the issues with fans would be less. I'll leave it up to Paton i'm 90/10 for move on we'll see

Fill needs in free agency. Fill draft with BPA. I never think relying on the draft to "bolster" a certain area is a great idea because you don't know what kind of value is going to be there when you are on the clock. First focus needs to be to fill what you can in free agency. I'm not saying don't draft OL/DL in the draft. I am just saying fill need through free agency if possible.

Paton did a great job this offseason of doing this. It led to BPA players like Surtain, Williams, etc..

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fill needs in free agency. Fill draft with BPA. I never think relying on the draft to "bolster" a certain area is a great idea because you don't know what kind of value is going to be there when you are on the clock. First focus needs to be to fill what you can in free agency. I'm not saying don't draft OL/DL in the draft. I am just saying fill need through free agency if possible.

Paton did a great job this offseason of doing this. It led to BPA players like Surtain, Williams, etc..
What positions are you filling in FA?

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What positions are you filling in FA?

Depends on who we re-sign etc... But my focus for biggest needs would be QB, OL, EDGE... We also need to see what Kareem Jackson is going to do... I wouldn't mind him back on one more 1 year contract and and give a guy like Sterns another year to develop and grow with more PT... I love Jamar Johnson as you know but I think he makes for a good #3 safety in nickel and dime to use his instincts/ball skills and free lance to make plays which is what he does best.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josey Jewell was playing the best football of his career before he suffered the injury, and while I have always loved AJ, after that initial impressive campaign, he didn't seem to improve at the rate Jewell did ..I'd like to see both back, but I think The Outlaw would be a better choice ..

I'd like Young to get another shot too ..

But if the 2020 draft was happening again, I'd still take Parsons for that area of the field ... Nothing against Surtain, when you get a guy who'll lock down a spot for a decade + there are no complaints ... But we haven't had game changer in that area of the field for a while, and I really think it could have benefitted Fangio to have a potential superstar there

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if the 2020 draft was happening again, I'd still take Parsons for that area of the field ... Nothing against Surtain, when you get a guy who'll lock down a spot for a decade + there are no complaints ... But we haven't had game changer in that area of the field for a while, and I really think it could have benefitted Fangio to have a potential superstar there
With the benefit of hindsight, I like Surtain over Parsons. We know the outcome. Defensive backs did well and replacement linebackers were serviceable. If we had Parsons, we would be looking at Darby, injured Callahan, and struggling Fuller. I think Parsons would have improved the LBs but DBs would take a huge step back and I think QBs would be able to take advantage of whoever is opposite Darby.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-15 against the AFCW
his teams never won a must win game. always underperformed when the lights were the brightest.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the benefit of hindsight, I like Surtain over Parsons. We know the outcome. Defensive backs did well and replacement linebackers were serviceable. If we had Parsons, we would be looking at Darby, injured Callahan, and struggling Fuller. I think Parsons would have improved the LBs but DBs would take a huge step back and I think QBs would be able to take advantage of whoever is opposite Darby.
A shut down corner which Surtain will be is very hard to come by as well. Really like the pick and player. He is already the second best player on a very good D if not the best player with all due respect to Simons. He is actually targeted a bit and has responded. I believe he could be a generational player at the position within the next 2 years.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Surtain, but Parsons is special. I don’t care who you got in your secondary, if you can’t wreak havoc up front and get to the qb, well your secondary will be hung out to dry. Parsons is a monster in every facet. He puts a stamp on the defense

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Broncos are active in free agency or trades to bolster key positions, we need to be prepared to lose some of the young guys that we really like. Especially if there's a trade for one of the top available quarterbacks. I've seen many proposed trade deals and all of them include giving up a young guy that I love, coupled with a million draft picks.

Fangio is toast, IMO. I don't hate the guy and think he did some good things with the defense, considering the amount of injuries or Covid reserves that he had to deal with. However, this is the NFL and his record stinks over the last three years. Moving on....

I'm so anxious to see the Broncos be relevant in the NFL again. These last five years have been painful and ruined football for many of us.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Broncos are active in free agency or trades to bolster key positions, we need to be prepared to lose some of the young guys that we really like. Especially if there's a trade for one of the top available quarterbacks. I've seen many proposed trade deals and all of them include giving up a young guy that I love, coupled with a million draft picks.

Fangio is toast, IMO. I don't hate the guy and think he did some good things with the defense, considering the amount of injuries or Covid reserves that he had to deal with. However, this is the NFL and his record stinks over the last three years. Moving on....

I'm so anxious to see the Broncos be relevant in the NFL again. These last five years have been painful and ruined football for many of us.
Of the young(er) players that could be in a package, the only one I would absolutely not deal away is Surtain ... Jeudy and Chubb I could live with .. In fact, I think both are on course to have underwhelming careers ..

Losing Fant or Javonte Williams would sting, but if it meant getting Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers, so be it ...

Just not Surtain

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this was an interesting statistic from The Athletic today on selecting a head coach:
Among the 20 teams that have made it to the conference championship over the past five years, 19 (95 percent!) finished in the top 10 in offensive DVOA. And 14 (70 percent!) finished in the top five. Over that same period, six (30 percent) finished in the top 10 in defensive DVOA, and five (25 percent) finished in the top five.

That doesn’t mean defense is unimportant. But a great offense with a below-average defense generally profiles to a contending team. A great defense with a below-average offense does not. And offensive efficiency is more sticky year to year than defensive efficiency.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A shut down corner which Surtain will be is very hard to come by as well. Really like the pick and player. He is already the second best player on a very good D if not the best player with all due respect to Simons. He is actually targeted a bit and has responded. I believe he could be a generational player at the position within the next 2 years.
And - CBs tend to have much longer careers than LBs. (Assuming you can sign him to follow-up contracts).

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this was an interesting statistic from The Athletic today on selecting a head coach:
Among the 20 teams that have made it to the conference championship over the past five years, 19 (95 percent!) finished in the top 10 in offensive DVOA. And 14 (70 percent!) finished in the top five. Over that same period, six (30 percent) finished in the top 10 in defensive DVOA, and five (25 percent) finished in the top five.

That doesn’t mean defense is unimportant. But a great offense with a below-average defense generally profiles to a contending team. A great defense with a below-average offense does not. And offensive efficiency is more sticky year to year than defensive efficiency.
IMO, there are two seasons. Regular season and post season. Be interesting to see how the numbers look for winning playoff teams.
The first step is to get to the playoffs which is offensive football. but weather and refs holding flags starts to favor the defenses.

Denver's young players don't show up in big games. That is a problem what has to be overcome within each player.

I really think Denver is a good OC who understands the talents of the existing core players.

Look at all the young HC candidates. Most are OCs. Vic would need to find his Josh McDaniels.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes - and that is way the rules have been bent to assure offense over Defense.

In terms of offense and scoring - the Broncos have 2 quality RBs, 4 quality WRs and 2 quality TEs. The fact the Broncos have been unable to score points when they appear to have the athletes who can win game matchups - probably has a conspiracy theory I can get behind - it is so improbable. I don't like to speak harshly about other professionals, but Schumur ought to be looked at for being intentionally bad.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schumur decided to commit career suicide right in front of us. There is no timing to the Bronco's offense - which is why they can't score TDs. Not only does the approach on offense not change during a game, but it doesn't change from game to game. Bringing to mind the adage: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a new result." The Broncos don't even try to execute mismatches - with tall WRs on small CBs -or big fast guys against smaller guys. If I was Fangio -I would have strangled Schumur and the Special TEams coach by now - and just hoping they can't pin the rap on me until I get into the playoffs.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact the Broncos have been unable to score points when they appear to have the athletes who can win game matchups - probably has a conspiracy theory I can get behind - it is so improbable.

I was looking at the stats yesterday and was absolutely amazed when I saw that Courtland Sutton has 2 TDs on the year and Jerry Jeudy has a big, fat ZERO.

What offense in 2021-22 could you design wherein your top 2 receiving threats have combined for 2 total TDs through an entire season? A Pat Shurmur offense, apparently…