• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Widening the Court

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the players have gotten bigger, stronger and faster over the years yet the court is the same size.

More space allows more freedom and that should allow the athletes to further separate themselves from the pack and showcase their abilities even more.

I think it would also have to increase offense by default. To counter this the NBA could bring back hand checking or other defensive handicaps put in over the years.

Yay or Nay for a larger court?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the players have gotten bigger, stronger and faster over the years yet the court is the same size.

More space allows more freedom and that should allow the athletes to further separate themselves from the pack and showcase their abilities even more.

I think it would also have to increase offense by default. To counter this the NBA could bring back hand checking or other defensive handicaps put in over the years.

I say Yay. But the Spurs would be lost without that short corner 3.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leave the game alone. Yes, they're bigger, stronger and faster but they're not better. The '87 Lakers would devastate these punks these days.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say Yay. But the Spurs would be lost without that short corner 3.

The 3p line would not HAVE to change...but it could be made uniform the entire way around the basket as well. Obviously changing the size would change a lot of the strategies. It would be interesting to see how a player like Curry would utilize the extra space.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leave the game alone. Yes, they're bigger, stronger and faster but they're not better. The '87 Lakers would devastate these punks these days.

This is a common sentiment, so far be it from me to say you're wrong.

That said, I fell like nostalgia has a way of seriously embellishing the past.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 3p line would not HAVE to change...but it could be made uniform the entire way around the basket as well. Obviously changing the size would change a lot of the strategies. It would be interesting to see how a player like Curry would utilize the extra space.

Yeah, things get cramped in the corner right now. You don't see many step-back threes from the corner. Except from Ray Allen in Game 6 of NBA Finals... I still don't know how he did that.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a common sentiment, so far be it from me to say you're wrong.

That said, I fell like nostalgia has a way of seriously embellishing the past.

You never saw the '87 Lakers play.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You never saw the '87 Lakers play.

That is sort of true.... I did see them play, but I was 4 years old, so my memory was still quite volatile.

This is the ultimate argument-ender the old-timers can always give. ('87 isn't that old-time, but you know...) You can only get so much through watching old videos and reading the stories, so maybe I'm wrong.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The teams may not be better in the way you are thinking but the players most certainly are and they would be allowed to flourish with more space. In a lot of ways a smaller court is holding back the progress of superior athletes. It acts as a handicap in a way to keep the player skill levels closer together.

It is like having 2 cars, let's say they both go 0-100 in a quarter mile in 12 seconds...but the other car will go 200 if given the space and the other car can only go 150 in unlimited space. Shortening the track keeps them both from reaching their full potential but also makes them both look fairly equal.

The 87 Lakers were "better" because of a smaller league with more condensed teams and looser salary cap rules, not because they were physically more gifted.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is sort of true.... I did see them play, but I was 4 years old, so my memory was still quite volatile.

This is the ultimate argument-ender the old-timers can always give. ('87 isn't that old-time, but you know...) You can only get so much through watching old videos and reading the stories, so maybe I'm wrong.

The Showtime fast break peaked in '87 and it was devastating. That Lakers team was total domination.

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would easily take the 86 Celtics over the 87 Lakers

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ONLY if the bucket is raised up as well...:suds:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't happen because it means fewer seats in each NBA arena. Also if you did that, you'd have to bring back handchecking or else D wouldn't exist.

And we shouldn't be comparing any team that is playing right now to any of the top 10 teams of all time. Not this year

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bigger court does not necessarily mean fewer seats, it would mean even more court side seats though.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bigger court does not necessarily mean fewer seats, it would mean even more court side seats though.
True, it would mean more premium seats. I just dont want to see games of 140-115

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, it would mean more premium seats. I just dont want to see games of 140-115

Like the NFL...I agree. I am sure they would remove some defensive limitations, I am drooling at the thought of LBJ being able to hand check and play against it so every one would shut the fuck up about that.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like the NFL...I agree. I am sure they would remove some defensive limitations, I am drooling at the thought of LBJ being able to hand check and play against it so every one would shut the fuck up about that.

This!

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't mess with court leave it as is, this is irrelevant. If anything just change these stupid new rules that have slowed down the game way too much, with Bullshit calls.