• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why we need a 8 team playoff

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone controls their own destiny unless you are Western Michigan.
Or anyone from tGroup of 5.

But if WMU had ran the table with last years schedule, they may have had an outside shot.

Not that I feel they're being slighted this year. It'd be brutal against Alabama. Maybe even worse than Bamas first rounder last but year.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No

8 team playoff would completely ruin the regular season

and almost every year 2 loss teams would make it

honestly if you lose 2 games you have no business in the playoff... plain and simple
So you are ok with the current system? Is there anything you would change?

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DONT RUIN THE REGULAR SEASON

cap it at 6, I'm not sure conference champs should get an auto bid though, but it'd fit
I go back and forth with the 4, 6, or 8 team thing. I think there's good arguments for all of them. However, even with 8 teams, I don't buy that it'd necessarily hurt the significance of the regular season. The importance of the regular season as it is you can argue is inconsistent.

We'll see what happens tomorrow, but take your own team's situation. They lost to the team that just won your conference. If OSU is in (especially at #2), and PSU is out, what significance did the game they beat you have?

To be clear, I'm not saying OSU isn't deserving, but isn't the team that beat them and went on to win the conference too?

And no, the answer isn't to remove Washington.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, Washington.

Sorry. You can't EVER get beat by 6 TD+ and get a chance to play for a national title with 2 losses. Can't.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are ok with the current system? Is there anything you would change?

It's not perfect, but I'd take it over ruining the regular season.

We need to get rid of preseason polls, that's actually the biggest issue

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear, I'm not saying OSU isn't deserving, but isn't the team that beat them and went on to win the conference too?

So we leave Washington out?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They do have far too much impact on the season for something that only exists for the sake of conversation.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the only reason I went for 8 teams. First round, 1-4 would get home games. This way, the better teams would get an advantage.

No, there are just too many Bowl venues to be used.
No home field advantage.
Nope.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I go back and forth with the 4, 6, or 8 team thing. I think there's good arguments for all of them. However, even with 8 teams, I don't buy that it'd necessarily hurt the significance of the regular season. The importance of the regular season as it is you can argue is inconsistent.

We'll see what happens tomorrow, but take your own team's situation. They lost to the team that just won your conference. If OSU is in (especially at #2), and PSU is out, what significance did they game they beat you have?

Ohio State lost on the road due to a couple of Special Teams gaffes against a conference champ.

UW got whooped at home by a 3 loss team.

Ohio State beat a P5 Conference Champ on the road OOC by double digits. Washington played Rutgers, Idaho, and Portland State OOC.

Which team has the better resume?

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No

8 team playoff would completely ruin the regular season

and almost every year 2 loss teams would make it

honestly if you lose 2 games you have no business in the playoff... plain and simple
Can't you argue it'd make the regular season more exciting for more teams if all of the sudden teams that would otherwise just be hoping they can get in a new years bowl are now trying to get in the Playoff?

What would be hard is figuring out which 2 loss teams are the most deserving.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NCAA would have to piss off the networks

KnightAndDay

Separate or shoot to kill
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,129.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing wrong with the current format.

8 teams = Watering down both the regular season & playoffs. Teams would be resting their starters with a week or 2 left in the season, take a loss, and still get in. Undeserving teams with 2 & 3 losses would regularly be getting a shot for all the marbles.

6 teams = #1 and #2 have an unfair advantage with the bye.

The current format is the perfect format. It makes sure only the best of the best get in and it gives everyone a level playing field. You can't expand without taking one (or both) of those aspects away.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just need to get rid of divisions and match up 2 best teams in a conference for championship games. If that happens no questions who should get in.
and we're right back to that subjective committee or voting or whatever other crap people whine about... no matter what, whiners will whine

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State lost on the road due to a couple of Special Teams gaffes against a conference champ.

UW got whooped at home by a 3 loss team.

Ohio State beat a P5 Conference Champ on the road OOC by double digits. Washington played Rutgers, Idaho, and Portland State OOC.

Which team has the better resume?
Think you missed the point...

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or anyone from tGroup of 5.

But if WMU had ran the table with last years schedule, they may have had an outside shot.

Not that I feel they're being slighted this year. It'd be brutal against Alabama. Maybe even worse than Bamas first rounder last but year.
As opposed to the SEC champ game???

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one has perfect record except Western Michigan and Alabama so we should just leave it up to subjective measures? What other sport rewards teams places team based on subjective measures only?

Alabama is the best team this year but the best part about sports is the best team doesn't always win.
Yes. No other sport is close to college footballs regular season. Ever wk actually matters. Im a notre Dame fan. I accept the fact that it is going to take a minor miracle to get in the playoff with a loss. It is what makes every Saturday great and I wouldn't want it any other way