• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why the SEC Isn't As Great in Football As You Think

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why SEC Isn't As Great In Football As You Think | ThePostGame

Few enduring southern delusions do more to illustrate Woodward's point than the region's storied devotion to college football and the myth of the superiority of the SEC, the twelve teams collectively regarded in the South -- and much of the rest of the country -- as whales to krill, The Beatles to Herman's Hermits, jackhammer sex with Mila Kunis to dry humping your junior prom date standing up in her parents' garage.

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a pretty funny article. Good entertainment.

Oh, by the way, the SEC will win yet another BCS National Championship this year. Suck it.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good read, nothing we didnt already know...but a good read non-the-less

"My argument is simply that if you look at results on the field -- not guesswork from writers, network suits, and BCS computers -- teams from the major conferences, and some schools from smaller conferences, are actually a lot more evenly matched than most fans believe.

Despite being approximately equal to other conferences in most quantifiable categories, the SEC and other southern schools are unfairly presented with championship opportunities and favors on what is far from a level playing field. "

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"My argument is simply that if you look at results on the field -- not guesswork from writers, network suits, and BCS computers -- teams from the major conferences, and some schools from smaller conferences, are actually a lot more evenly matched than most fans believe.

Despite being approximately equal to other conferences in most quantifiable categories, the SEC and other southern schools are unfairly presented with championship opportunities and favors on what is far from a level playing field. "

Sooooooo... ok. Explain why the SEC kicks the shit out of every contender in the majority of BCS National Championships. Jesus!!!! You’d think that every 5 years or so the non-SEC group could fucking win a game wouldn’t you?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC isn't great. 3 PROGRAMS in the SEC are great. The rest of the conference is average to below average.

This is true for nearly every major conference as well.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sooooooo... ok. Explain why the SEC kicks the shit out of every contender in the majority of BCS National Championships. Jesus!!!! You’d think that every 5 years or so the non-SEC group could fucking win a game wouldn’t you?

the SEC doesnt play for titles.....TEAMS in the SEC do. Once again......having the best individual team doesn't make the rest of the conference any better.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC isn't great. 3 PROGRAMS in the SEC are great. The rest of the conference is average to below average.

this

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fabulous.gif

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have argued this point for years.

To be the best, so goes to the old sports adage, you've got to beat the best. But since only SEC teams are consistently declared the best, only SEC teams get the chance to prove themselves against "the best."
It's a chicken-or-the-egg situation. Does the SEC get favorable rankings because it's so good? Or is the SEC so good because it gets favorable rankings? I argue for the latter.

It's laughable to see Ole Miss or Mississippi St in the preseason polls or ranked after beating up on their cupcakes and going 2-0.

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How is the SEC UNFAIRLY presented with championship opportunities?.. Win your conference, Win your CCG, have a good sos, and go to a championship... I thought this was the rules for everyone?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is the SEC UNFAIRLY presented with championship opportunities?.. Win your conference, Win your CCG, have a good sos, and go to a championship... I thought this was the rules for everyone?

SEC's SOS is unrealistically elevated by untrue notion that SEC middle ground and bottom feeder still = quality opponent, evidenced by the annual 5 or 6 preseason ranked SEC teams (or in the years case 7, LMAO)

Last edited by a moderator:

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The article points out that the SOS is what is flawed. Read the article. It spells it all out pretty much exactly how each of the last 5 years or so have played out

edit: lol, nice 757. I'll rep when I spread it

Last edited by a moderator:

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the SEC doesnt play for titles.....TEAMS in the SEC do. Once again......having the best individual team doesn't make the rest of the conference any better.

Let’s just deal in facts:

SEC - (5) Teams have won 8 Natties

Big 12 - (3) Teams have won 2 Natties

Everyone else - (1) - (2) Teams have won maybe 1 Nattie

I’m sorry. You don’t have to like the facts, but they are indeed facts. There were 12 teams in the SEC when these championships were won, so 5/12 teams have secured a crystal ball. Then throw in the fact of 8 consecutive championships won by the same conference and well, I guess I understand why you don’t like the SEC very much.

Mo_Cutter

'Member 34-13, Taters?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Didn't read... just wanna post frivolously in this thread.

images

SEC! SEC! SEC!

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article points out that the SOS is what is flawed. Read the article. It spells it all out pretty much exactly how each of the last 5 years or so have played out

edit: lol, nice 757. I'll rep when I spread it

Then it's flawed for everyone, you can't compare teams just against the sec.. Look at the bowl games for the last 20 years.I'm on my phone but I'm sure one of you can do this .. But look st the out come of all our "bottom feeders" & see how they did against other conferences because my understanding is that as long as you win at least 6 games then you are eligible for a bowl.. If sec wasnt very good then we would have lost more then 50% of those bowl games.. And I'm pretty sure we haven't

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s just deal in facts:

SEC - (5) Teams have won 8 Natties

Big 12 - (3) Teams have won 2 Natties

Everyone else - (1) - (2) Teams have won maybe 1 Nattie

I’m sorry. You don’t have to like the facts, but they are indeed facts. There were 12 teams in the SEC when these championships were won, so 5/12 teams have secured a crystal ball. Then throw in the fact of 8 consecutive championships won by the same conference and well, I guess I understand why you don’t like the SEC very much.

Let's talk facts then.

In your current run, 3 teams have won titles......we're not talking back to the 40s here.

LSU, Bama and Florida. The rest of the conference is AVERAGE at best.

NOTHING you post is going to make Kentucky, Vandy, Ole Miss, MSU, any better than bottom feeders in ANY BCS conference.

NOTHING you post is going to make Georgia, Tenn, and USC any better than mid tier teams.

THOSE are facts - the SEC as a whole is NOT any better than any other conference.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL....... Alabama, LSU, and who? Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Arkansas, or South Carolina?

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's talk facts then.

In your current run, 3 teams have won titles......we're not talking back to the 40s here.

NOTHING you post is going to make Kentucky, Vandy, Ole Miss, MSU, any better than bottom feeders in ANY BCS conference.

NOTHING you post is going to make Georgia, Tenn, and USC any better than mid tier teams.

THOSE are facts - the SEC as a whole is NOT any better than any other conference.

we don't count because we 'cheated' right :noidea:

SwampHumpy

Touching my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's talk facts then.

Wow, all caps. Nerve struck?

Anywhoo, I was talking very recent history. The history of the BCS, which includes wins by Tennessee, LSU, Florida, Bama and Auburn. That’s an impressive list of programs when you consider there were only 12 teams in the SEC at that point. No other conference has posted that kind of diversity. Sorry.