• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why the Cincinnati Bengals Can't Pass on Alabama's Mark Barron

augustisback003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Tubbs is going to love this article!

A glaring hole on the defensive unit that was consistently exposed all season was the safety position. In particular, the strong safety position seemed to be the weakest. Free safety Reggie Nelson had a great year, but Chris Crocker, among others, struggled heavily.

The secondary as a whole was prone to giving up the big play, especially after cornerback Leon Hall went down for the year with a torn Achilles. This anomaly for a Mike Zimmer-led defense is sure to be heavily addressed this offseason.

There is no better way to address this need than by taking Alabama safety Mark Barron in the 2012 NFL Draft. The two-time National Champion is a four-year senior who was the leader of arguably the best secondary in the nation last season.

Barron is an aggressive safety standing at 6’2” and weighing in at 218 pounds. He is stout in run support and does a good job of reading a quarterback’s eyes and playing efficiently in coverage. During his senior campaign, Barron racked up 63 tackles, one sack and an interception.

[...]

Barron could come to Cincinnati and start from day one. If Mike Zimmer is still around, he would be able to mentor Barron into potentially an elite safety. With the magic Zimmer has worked in recent years with no “big-name” players, gifting him with someone like Barron would be the smartest thing the franchise could do.

The Bengals need to extend their recent trend of great drafts this April. Last April, the Bengals hit a home run with a one-two punch on the offensive side of the ball. This time the Bengals need to get a great one-two punch on the defensive side of the ball in the first round—and it starts with Mark Barron.

2012 NFL Draft: Why the Cincinnati Bengals Can't Pass on Alabama's Mark Barron | Bleacher Report

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh yes bleacher report. And I mocked Barron to the Bengals in a mock before you started your ramblings around here so not sure what you are talking about.

daytonbenglfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LOL at August. Wannabe draft guru. Do you have poster of Mel Kiper in your bedroom that you master ate to every night?

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just put this in another thread but Id rather get a true FS than another in the box guy. Barron is a good player but think he's somewhat of a reach. If they take an interior lineman with the other pick I could live w Barron (clearly an upgrade of Crocker but that aint saying much).

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's my worry too. He seems like an in-the-box, better against the run, safety. Paired with Nelson, who can't cover mud, it's not what we need.

augustisback003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
LOL at August. Wannabe draft guru. Do you have poster of Mel Kiper in your bedroom that you master ate to every night?

So if Tubbs post just as much about the draft as I do what does that make him? My protege? Intern? Or is he just a wanna be Mel Kiper Jr-jr?

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See there is a HUGE difference between me and you behold I talk about the draft a lot I also talk about general bengals stuff, game day threads, off season moves, etc. You are a one trick pony with nothing more that a few draft links. That is why you are Kiper and why you are a joke.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like August's draft posts. I may not agree with him but I'll read'em.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll read them, but I'll also debate them when I don't agree. However I don't like being called a person who is a one trick pony.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
See there is a HUGE difference between me and you behold I talk about the draft a lot I also talk about general bengals stuff, game day threads, off season moves, etc. You are a one trick pony with nothing more that a few draft links. That is why you are Kiper and why you are a joke.

????