• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why oh why....

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do people insist Los Angeles can't support a team? Is it just ignorance or trolling?

Al Davis moved the Raiders from Los Angeles to Oakland because the Coliseum was and is a dinosaur when it comes to NFL stadiums. I remember it quite well because at the time I worked for the Glendale News-Press and used to go to Raider games at the Coliseum.

Davis got frustrated because repairs weren't made to make even more money (PSL's and such) and part of the reason why the city didn't repair the Coliseum was because of the Northridge earthquake that took place.

LA is huge and there are enough Raider fans there to easily a team/or the Raiders should they move back.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LA can absolutely support an NFL team.

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LA is ready to join the NFL party imo.. Build a 2.3B dollar stadium, and Raider Fans would fill it.. Shoot, LA is going to build the BEST stadium in the NFL when its all said and done.. Get all the TOP FAs etc..
Some hot shot movie guy, to one of the top FAs.. Hey we want you in this movie, but need you here year round!!
Ok, i will just sign with the team there.. OAKLAND is first!! But LA is second!! OAKLAND RAIDERS, nothing sounds as sweet as that does!!

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, LA can support an NFL team, particularly the Raiders. The question I have is why they continue to wait for a commitment before moving forward with the construction, the Raiders deal is about up in Oakland, and it doesn't seem like they will be able to get a new deal done, so what do they do while waiting for the new stadium to be ready?

Oakland is the traditional home of the Raiders, but no one wants to ante up so they must go where the money is, and that is definitely LA.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be ironic if the Raiders and Rams both moved to LA just at the time when both teams were becoming contenders. Can you imagine an all LA Superbowl? In the words of Judy Tanuda, "it could happen".

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the NFL enjoys having the threat of LA more so than an actual team in LA at this time. Any time a stadium issue comes up all the NFL has to do is say "fine you don't want to build a new stadium then we will just move the team to LA." Now while LA is a huge market and one I do think the NFL will take more advantage of at this time until LA is ready to actually put the money forth to build a stadium it just makes for some nice threats.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the NFL enjoys having the threat of LA more so than an actual team in LA at this time. Any time a stadium issue comes up all the NFL has to do is say "fine you don't want to build a new stadium then we will just move the team to LA." Now while LA is a huge market and one I do think the NFL will take more advantage of at this time until LA is ready to actually put the money forth to build a stadium it just makes for some nice threats.

That seems to be the scenario we are in right now, LA seems all too willing to bide their time. It appears Oakland will sign on for another year, and I know there has been some discussion of rebuilding a stadium complex on the current site, but there are some strong headwinds against publicly financing the effort in Alameda County.

In the midst of a major overhaul, the Raiders have the potential to become playoff contenders in the near future, and a ready-made fanbase in So Cal, I think they have to be one of the top candidates for an LA residence.

Financing would seem to be the major hurdle to overcome, and it's fairly obvious that the deep pockets are in the South, LA has to be the odds on favorite. On the other hand, with the fortunes of the NFL and the Raiders on the cusp, Oakland might be convinced that the Raiders are worth the effort to make a play for. Losing the Raiders to LA (again)and watching the champagne flow down south (again)would be a bitter end for Oakland after so many years of futility.

It's really a compelling story, I think the Raiders stand to benefit which ever way the wind blows.