• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why not rotisserie format?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At 2-4 my fantasy team is in eighth place in a ten team league, despite my team having scored more points than all but two other teams in my league. Moreover, such a situation is typical of my experience in playing fantasy football for each of the past four years.

On the other hand, though I think I know far less about MLB than I do the NFL, my fantasy baseball teams have won their rotisserie leagues each of the past two years. That observation made me wonder why rotisserie scoring isn't used in fantasy football. Is that an interesting question or merely sour grapes?

Raid

Hoopla Cash
$ 21.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My league has a payout for the top points scorer as well as the champion (head to head).

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rotisserie doesn't work for a simple reason, there just isn't enough categories... Are you going to make defense categories equally important to offensive, while you own a majority of offensive players...

Even IDP, each defensive player does different things, lineman don't often get interceptions!!!

You would need a very deep IDP just to make the categories balanced, and even then it just seems too much...

What I think you really want is to do the league by points and not H2H... That is more doable... My money league we do both, Overall points and H2H, and I love that we do that...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or have multiple opponents each week.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the "breakdown" or "all-play" stat - your record if you would have played every other team that week - is to me the best indicator of the quality of a team.

It does feel a little more clinical and less fun than straight H2H, though - where your nine players are matching up against another nine players, so a great/terrible game by somebody on another team can give you that thrill of victory or agony of defeat in addition to your own guys.

So I like H2H as the basic game, but I think breakdown record should be rewarded as well. (PF doesn't show consistency - you can be mediocre generally but have a couple of insane weeks and win PF.)

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my league, we play 2 opponents each week. It helps to get a more accurate team standings and helps keep the bottom teams in the playoff race longer. Keeping them managing their teams normally rather than giving up wins for lack of managing their team because they are out.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At 2-4 my fantasy team is in eighth place in a ten team league, despite my team having scored more points than all but two other teams in my league. Moreover, such a situation is typical of my experience in playing fantasy football for each of the past four years.

On the other hand, though I think I know far less about MLB than I do the NFL, my fantasy baseball teams have won their rotisserie leagues each of the past two years. That observation made me wonder why rotisserie scoring isn't used in fantasy football. Is that an interesting question or merely sour grapes?

I have thought about this before.

I think it could work in an IDP league, but you would need to start as many defensive players as offense.

Cats could be: Rush yards, pass yards, receiving yards, total TDs, FGs made
Tackles, sacks, fumble recoveries, interceptions, and points allowed for a team defense.

At e end of the day thoug, points leagues just make more sense in fantasy football. The craziness of a Sunday with a head to head match up creates a level of excitement that roto can't match.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My league has a payout for the top points scorer as well as the champion (head to head).

We (my money league, which is a yardage league.)pay out three division winners,(also second place) points winner,(down to fourth place)best record,(down to fourth place)playoff and runner winner and breakdown winner(record against every team- every week.)

League champ is team with the most winnings.

Best overall team always wins. Unlike real life.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my league, we play 2 opponents each week. It helps to get a more accurate team standings and helps keep the bottom teams in the playoff race longer. Keeping them managing their teams normally rather than giving up wins for lack of managing their team because they are out.

We play all three divisional opponents on odd weeks and two out of division opponents on even weeks. It affects draft strategy with bye weeks.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I play in a keeper league (head to head) & a roto league.
Doesn't do it like our base ball league but uses total points.
in fact I am in 1st place in my roto league right now. (12 teams)

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We play all three divisional opponents on odd weeks and two out of division opponents on even weeks. It affects draft strategy with bye weeks.

off topic: but this post made me ask something... Does bye week really ever affect the way you draft??

I mean its one thing to make sure you have your backups not have the same bye week as your starters... But do you really strategize that much??

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
off topic: but this post made me ask something... Does bye week really ever affect the way you draft??

I mean its one thing to make sure you have your backups not have the same bye week as your starters... But do you really strategize that much??

Depends on the format.

Most leagues, bye weeks are an afterthought for me. In suicide though, it is a central part of my strategy.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It does when you play your entire division every other week. You can't set yourself up with QBs, running backs etc all being odd week bye weeks. Lot of money on the line for division wins. I've seen people win overall points and the championship game and not win the league because they finished third in their division. (Everyone makes the playoffs in this league.)

In general though, no. I don't pay any attention to bye weeks when drafting in standard leagues. Suicide, Coma and my IDP money yardage league I sure do though.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolutely I do. I don't let it dominate my strategy, but those later mid rounds, and generally the last pick or 2 (other than the kicker) are generally nothing but looking for bye week replacements for me. Usually that determines which sleepers I'll end up taking a shot with.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did mean to comment on this then forgot...

I wouldn't mind trying a rotisserie league. It'd be different. Did a rotisserie hockey league one year and did pretty well (2nd). But it as a lot of work throughout the week managing your players (who had league-imposed game limits).