• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why is Germain Ifedi still starting?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it, the Seahawks invested substantial draft capital in him.

But wasn't the modus operandi of the Seahawks during the peak of our run that competition is everything? That they ran on a meritocracy?

Not only has Germain Ifedi been an awful pass protector, he was the most penalized player in the NFL last year and once again I believe he had a flag or two against the Broncos.

He did go up against one of the best pass rushers in the NFL, but how much worse can you do than 3 sacks? I'd give him a pass if this wasn't a routine occurrence.

The Seahawks really need to replace him. I don't see a reason to keep him starting. He doesn't show any flashes to me, and his penalties are drive killers. Hell, even if it's not an improvement in pass protection or run blocking, as long as his replacement hopefully wouldn't commit even half the amount of penalties.

I honestly don't believe I've ever seen a Seahawks RT play this poorly over a 30 game stretch in my entire time watching the team. I don't think that I'd be exaggerating by saying that Germain Ifedi is the worst tackle I have seen start for 3 straight years.

End of rant.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never did i once suspect the Hawks were going to play him as a tackle when they drafted him. His play there in college was BAD but at guard he showed something. Now at guard in the pro's he was bad but no where near as bad as he is at Tackle. Fant has to be a better option. I mean he just has to be, we saw him play there before and all though not pretty it was Better than Ifedi.

Still i think changing away from Cable was with out a doubt the right move and can see the improvement all ready. They will get better with coaching up now that they are getting game film. Something Cable COULD NOT DO!

Ifedi another first round flop, no wonder they trade away their 1st all the time, lets hope Penny doesn't fall into that also.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it, the Seahawks invested substantial draft capital in him.

I don't get it... We gave up on Darboh and Odhiambo fairly quickly with them being 3rd round draft picks... He's more of a guard than he is a tackle so not sure why they keep hanging onto him as a tackle... He'll probably go to a team and be a very good RG some day...

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ifedi really stood out today. I just wish he stood outside the stadium

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never did i once suspect the Hawks were going to play him as a tackle when they drafted him. His play there in college was BAD but at guard he showed something. Now at guard in the pro's he was bad but no where near as bad as he is at Tackle. Fant has to be a better option. I mean he just has to be, we saw him play there before and all though not pretty it was Better than Ifedi.

Still i think changing away from Cable was with out a doubt the right move and can see the improvement all ready. They will get better with coaching up now that they are getting game film. Something Cable COULD NOT DO!

Ifedi another first round flop, no wonder they trade away their 1st all the time, lets hope Penny doesn't fall into that also.

James Carpenter, John Moffitt and Germain Ifedi are three reaches we made on the offensive line while Tom Cable had a lot of influence.

If my memory serves me correctly, Carpenter had a 2-3 round grade, as did Ifedi. Moffitt was taken in the 3rd round and most had him going in the 5th.

Seahawks have reached a lot for offensive linemen. Cable was high on all these guys who offered size over production and have all failed in the NFL.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get it... We gave up on Darboh and Odhiambo fairly quickly with them being 3rd round draft picks... He's more of a guard than he is a tackle so not sure why they keep hanging onto him as a tackle... He'll probably go to a team and be a very good RG some day...

I think Odhiambo was another reach on a poor experiment.

The Darboh situation is a bit different. He looked like he could come in and be a productive NFL WR. He had the size (6'2 214lbs), the 4.45 40 yard dash and played for Michigan. Despite being active for 16 games, he only had 8 catches for 71 yards. Never really showed up in practice or in the preseason. With David Moore and Brandon Marshall showing up in practice, made sense he was the odd man out.

Either way, I think the Seahawks need to stop with these "experiments"

Seahawks seem to focus on hit or miss prospects. Hasn't really worked well for us lately.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Odhiambo was another reach on a poor experiment.

The Darboh situation is a bit different. He looked like he could come in and be a productive NFL WR. He had the size (6'2 214lbs), the 4.45 40 yard dash and played for Michigan. Despite being active for 16 games, he only had 8 catches for 71 yards. Never really showed up in practice or in the preseason. With David Moore and Brandon Marshall showing up in practice, made sense he was the odd man out.

Either way, I think the Seahawks need to stop with these "experiments"

Seahawks seem to focus on hit or miss prospects. Hasn't really worked well for us lately.

Agreed. It's time they start taking best avail.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Carpenter, John Moffitt and Germain Ifedi are three reaches we made on the offensive line while Tom Cable had a lot of influence.

Moffitt was weird. He just quit the game. He lost interest in playing. James Carpenter is STILL a starting RT in the NFL after 8 years. He may taken a while to become competent but in hindsight we probably should have kept him.

Ifedi can't seem to keep his head in the game.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's already overweight and looked like absolute shit in Denver.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ifedi has definitely been a disappointment, but I'm not downgrading more after just 1 game vs Von Miller. He actually did show some improvement during pre-season after Fant came over to compete, so I would like to see if that was accident or an upturn. Of course, up next is Khalil Mack.....

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s Petes baby, if that’s what he wants that’s what he’s gonna get .. He’s been making some questionable decisions lately... Wins and losses are gonna be the final judge though as the season rolls on..

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF actually has him ranked as average after the Denver game. Hmmm....

Germain Ifedi | Seattle Seahawks RT | NFL and PFF stats | Pro Football Focus

This is what drives me crazy about PFF. They don't understand the schemes. One great example is what Von did against Ifedi. The Broncos used a controlled pass rush to make sure that Wilson couldn't escape the pocket. So at times it might look like Ifedi did his job when in reality the Broncos did exactly what they wanted to do.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PFF actually has him ranked as average after the Denver game. Hmmm....

Germain Ifedi | Seattle Seahawks RT | NFL and PFF stats | Pro Football Focus

It's in the "average" category because over the course of the season, there are generally around 100 different tackles that start due to injuries and the fact that RT and LT is pooled together in their tackle ratings.

He was ranked 60th of all tackles as you can see in the link you provided. 32 NFL teams, 64 tackles, (idk about injuries so maybe it was more like 70 tackles who played enough snaps to be ranked). Therefore they graded him around 60 out of 64-70 tackles that played last weekend.

It only comes out as "average" in their categories because those categories are based on the entire season in their category. When you're 60th out of 100 tackles, that's close to average.

Either way their grade is accurate saying he's 60th out of 64-70 graded tackles. The ones graded worse than him probably put up a similar performance against worse pass rushers.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's in the "average" category because over the course of the season, there are generally around 100 different tackles that start due to injuries and the fact that RT and LT is pooled together in their tackle ratings.

He was ranked 60th of all tackles as you can see in the link you provided. 32 NFL teams, 64 tackles, (idk about injuries so maybe it was more like 70 tackles who played enough snaps to be ranked). Therefore they graded him around 60 out of 64-70 tackles that played last weekend.

It only comes out as "average" in their categories because those categories are based on the entire season in their category. When you're 60th out of 100 tackles, that's close to average.

Either way their grade is accurate saying he's 60th out of 64-70 graded tackles. The ones graded worse than him probably put up a similar performance against worse pass rushers.

Yah well thanks for the further depression hawksfan....

giphy.gif