• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why I still think Iowa can make the Sweet 16.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa had a weird stretch of games here at the end of the season, since Indiana game was cancelled and postponed.

They had 4 games in just over a week.

where they were in Indiana (only to not play the game)
then home vs Wisconsin (which was not a bad game)
then went to Minnesota
then went to Indiana 2 days later
home vs Purdue (Iowa won 3 days after Indiana reschedule)

I would think they missed some classes for Indiana to not play and miss more for the game they actually played when they weren't expecting it. It's easy for us to see it as no problem because we don't have to worry about classes, but these boys do have other things to worry about than basketball and may have had a hand in it.

Iowa's defense hasn't done too bad either. Their rebounds has been better or very close to their opponent. The last two games, Iowa's offense did terrible and the defense dominated. Iowa kept Illinois and Northwestern under 70 points. Iowa scored less than 70 both times (way lower than season average).

Iowa now has time off and have time to focus. If they force turnovers like these last 2 games and not force too many fouls, then I think Iowa can make the Sweet 16 by doing good shooting. I still think if Olaseni, White, and Oglesby shoot good (assuming Marble continues his strong play), Iowa can beat anybody. Iowa hasn't played focused for some time.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you're right, but I thinks you're crazy.

Dude, we got bet by Northwestern!

This team is so mentally out of it, I think it will take the entire summer to recover.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone see Jeff Horner's tweets on this? Interesting that he implies he doesn't know for sure but has speculation on what is going on behind the scenes...well he would know having been through it.

I personally felt they hit the wall, got to the point where fatigue from season set in til I saw those tweets in the story on Hawk Central (I am not on twitter myself, just read the article) so I am wondering internally if they have someone with a giant ego (figure Marble) and the other guys have just sort of given up.

However, seeing his potential getting more realized, I am thinking next year Woodbury will be a monster, put him in there with Olesani, Gesell, White and Jok and they should be formidable, esp with Uthoff and Oglesby still around. What do I know though, I would never have thought they would fall so far so fast this year.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IJerms,

Love your optimism!! But I don't see Iowa making a run in this tournament. Worst case scenario, Iowa doesn't get in, and goes back into the NIT.

Iowa probably lands as a #10, #11, or a #12 seed. I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa gets a play-in game in Dayton to start the tournament.

Come on Hawks!! Get it together and win some games fast!!!!

From time to time, coaches lose their team...teams split...and the locker room gets divided. Guys hit the wall - maybe the European trip broke the legs of this team and this juncture of the season. Girlfriends and classes are always full of adventures as well. All-in-all, this season is just about over.

Any run that this team makes will remind us of just how close this team is to winning a regular season (and conference tournament) championship. At that point, anything could happen in the Big Dance!!!!!!

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is absolutely no communication between the players...Dan Dakich pointed out some things in Thursdays game that I hadn't been paying attention to...and I'm sure Marble is a bit of a prima donna...his dad is at every game probably chirping in Fran's ear...if you notice Marble is the only one on the team who's numbers are staying the same if not getting better...we play horrendous perimeter D and at least one guy 6 out of the last 7 games seems to have a career night...we are finished and don't deserve a spot in any post season tourney

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will personally be shocked if Iowa gets a bid today. I don't think Iowa deserves it based on their play this past month. If we had beaten Northwestern and made a game of the MSU game, that would have put us on the bubble but losing to Northwestern and only scoring 62 point? Nope, not deserving of a bid.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even after I saw that Iowa got the pigtail, I still have them in the Sweet 16 and losing to Michigan.

I think Tennessee will be a tough one for them and Iowa will squeak by. Probably a comeback by Tennessee. The winner of that game (I'm predicting Iowa) will easily beat UMass IMO. ESPN Insider help has Tennessee/Iowa winning it. If Iowa does that, I can see them beating Duke in a shootout. Michigan will know how to get Iowa.

*Communication for Iowa can be fixed easily. So is fatigue.

*One thing I like about March Madness is that they don't go by "What have you done for me lately?" approach. They look at the entire resume.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerms,

Tennessee is a physical team...Iowa isn't. If Tenn. comes out and punches Iowa in the mouth a few times, the head will fall and Marble will be a no show - again.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the MSU Michigan game, it really showed why teams need big kids...it's not the 50's anymore, you have to get 6'5" guards that go 210 and big men down low that go 240 or more but are still quick...MSU just dominated Michigan and you could see it was the physical play. The sooner Fran can bring in some of those kids or get them over to Doyle, the better...I would love to see Uthoff and Woodbury and the whole team add 10 lbs of muscle each this summer, skip the overseas tour and hit the weight and food rooms.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So happy to be wrong! Here's to hoping whatever the fuck is wrong with this team magically goes away in the next 2 days and they play like the team that was close to leading the nation in scoring for portions of this year.

GO HAWKS!

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nicely stated Clem!

I hope the team gets it together and plays a solid 40-minute (or more) game. Losing stinks!! Playing well and losing still stinks!! But playing poorly and losing is the worst!!!

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better figure it out quick. Tennessee can make you look silly in a hurry. They have an RPI of 41 and BPI of 31.
Key wins:
Xavier by 15
Virginia by 35
@LSU by 18
S Car by 20
Mizzu by 27