• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's been the best Acquisition of the Off-Season?

Vedder79

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious as to who you all thought has been the best acquisition by the Chiefs this off-season. I feel that they've made a lot of good moves but for me the best addition to this roster has been Andy Reid and all the personnel that he's brought along with him.

After that I love the Shaun Smith signing. We should have a very good secondary with him playing opposite Flowers. Hopefully we've got the second safety position covered as well. Not sure who will play there for the moment but hopefully, whoever it is, they are better than Lewis or at least enough competition to drive him to play better.

Go Chiefs!

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
believe it or not i'm going to go with Alex Smith simply due to the fact that he's an upgrade over Matt Cassell, and let's face it, it's a QB driven league(HATE using that phrase because Colin Cowherd uses it all the time). but let's face it, it's simply WAY too important a position to just plug anybody into...

Vedder79

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
believe it or not i'm going to go with Alex Smith simply due to the fact that he's an upgrade over Matt Cassell, and let's face it, it's a QB driven league(HATE using that phrase because Colin Cowherd uses it all the time). but let's face it, it's simply WAY too important a position to just plug anybody into...

I agree with you that it is a QB driven league but I'm still not sure about the Alex Smith deal. He is certainly an upgrade over Cassel but, let's face it, that's not saying a whole lot. I'm hoping that he proves me wrong but I really do feel that we gave up too much to get a guy who was most likely going to be cut by the 49ers anyway. I have a feeling that in four years we'll be talking about how we passed on Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib and Mike Glennon for Alex Smith.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, and I'm sure that we will be much more competitive with Smith under centre as opposed to the piles of garbage that played there last year but I guess only time will tell as to whether or not Smith was worth the 34th pick and a conditional 2nd or 3rd next year.

Just my thoughts,

Go Chiefs!

P.S. Surprise, surprise! MA back on the Chiefs board! :lol:

Vedder79

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you that it is a QB driven league but I'm still not sure about the Alex Smith deal. He is certainly an upgrade over Cassel but, let's face it, that's not saying a whole lot. I'm hoping that he proves me wrong but I really do feel that we gave up too much to get a guy who was most likely going to be cut by the 49ers anyway. I have a feeling that in four years we'll be talking about how we passed on Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib and Mike Glennon for Alex Smith.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, and I'm sure that we will be much more competitive with Smith under centre as opposed to the piles of garbage that played there last year but I guess only time will tell as to whether or not Smith was worth the 34th pick and a conditional 2nd or 3rd next year.

Just my thoughts,

Go Chiefs!

On that note, At least we signed Bray! My guess is that he'll turn out to be the QB of the future.

Go Chiefs!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just my thoughts,

Go Chiefs!

He wouldn't have been cut, he would have gone to Buffalo for a 2nd and a 6th from what I hear.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On that note, At least we signed Bray! My guess is that he'll turn out to be the QB of the future.

Go Chiefs!

I doubt it, but one can hope that Reid gets him to care and be coachable. Reid gives Bray his best shot, if he grows up. Reid does like to flip QBs. Just hoe the best for Alex Smith and trust Reid will try his best to develop Bray for a draft pick. If Smith struggles, then Reid will keep Bray. Smith will get the first shot and it will be a reuse shot. I only say this because Reid brought Smith in, not Dorsey, IMO. Dorsey was ok risking others would take Bray, but jumped early for Smith for what people say was too much.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I'm not good on mobile posting... I meant "real" not "reuse" shot. Not sure what I typed that was auto corrected to "reuse."

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just my thoughts,

Go Chiefs!

LOL, the boy's always been a rudderless ship without us...

Vedder79

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it, but one can hope that Reid gets him to care and be coachable. I'm glad my Niners have Harbaugh, but Reid gives Bray his best shot, if he grows up. Reid does like to flip QBs. Just hoe the best for Alex Smith and trust Reid will try his best to develop Bray for a draft pick. If Smith struggles, then Reid will keep Bray. Smith will get the first shot and it will be a reuse shot. I only say this because Reid brought Smith in, not Dorsey, IMO. Dorsey was ok risking others would take Bray, but jumped early for Smith for what people say was too much.

Agree with most of what you have to say here and there is no doubt that the first shot will be to Alex Smith. I just feel that 2 or 3 years down the road it will be Bray under center. I like Alex Smith but I'm not sure that he can take a team to the promise land. He will not have the 49ers offensive line protecting him in KC nor their defense keeping them in games. Again, I hope that I'm wrong!

Just my thoughts,

Go Chiefs!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with most of what you have to say here and there is no doubt that the first shot will be to Alex Smith. I just feel that 2 or 3 years down the road it will be Bray under center. I like Alex Smith but I'm not sure that he can take a team to the promise land. He will not have the 49ers offensive line protecting him in KC nor their defense keeping them in games. Again, I hope that I'm wrong!

Just my thoughts,

Go Chiefs!

Looks like your online is getting better as well as your defense. As a Niner and Smith fan I hope Alex does well enough to take advantage of when your OL and defense peaks. I will keep that in mind if Bray gets to benefit from that. Get us Niners that second rounder!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, as a USC Trojan, I was hoping for Cassel to work out better for you guys, but he never played at USC, just backup. So I wasnt that familiar with him nor invested enough to defend him. As far as I'm concerned he was just another student on campus, just alumni support. Matt Leinart allowed Alex to go to my childhood team by staying an extra year. was hoping for Barkley to go to the Chiefs because it would lessen the blow if Alex didn't pan out. But USC QBs haven't panned out. I have confidence that Alex will, but I am biased and don't have ties to the Chiefs, though my uncle followed you guys loosely when he was in law school at St. Louis. The Rams weren't there at the time, I don't think.

Vedder79

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like your online is getting better as well as your defense. As a Niner and Smith fan I hope Alex does well enough to take advantage of when your OL and defense peaks. I will keep that in mind if Bray gets to benefit from that. Get us Niners that second rounder!

The OL is definitely getting better, at least if we can hold on to Albert long term. I'm actually a fan of our Defense and feel that they were put in a very bad situation last year with our offence unable to keep them off of the field and continually turning the ball over inside our own 30.

I think that with Alex Smith at QB, he is a very good game manage and should limit turn overs, our defense should look much better this year. That said, they are not quite on same line as the 49ers and our OL, though improved, is nothing like the 49ers OL. Our OL still needs to add a solid guard as it was mainly the interior of the OL that fell apart last season and though we added Schwartz and I expect Allen to improve drastically I don't feel that we addressed that as much as I would have liked.

I am very much hoping that Alex Smith succeeds in KC as I am a fan; just not at the price we paid.

Just my thoughts,

Go Chiefs!

P.S. I have a feeling that you will get your second round pick next year. Chiefs should be able to finish .500 or better.

chiefbrent58

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im going with Fisher because we need to protect the QB and our line has not been that great in a long time

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that with Alex Smith at QB, he is a very good game manager and should limit turn overs, our defense should look much better this year. That said, they are not quite on same line as the 49ers and our OL, though improved, is nothing like the 49ers OL. Our OL still needs to add a solid guard as it was mainly the interior of the OL that fell apart last season and though we added Schwartz and I expect Allen to improve drastically I don't feel that we addressed that as much as I would have liked.

(This post is not directed at you, just quoted because you use the term.)

Gaah! I hate that term. "Game manager" - it was a derogatory term used to downgrade Smith and now it's caught on. It also downgrades other QBs, too. It's not that it is wholly inaccurate. It's that it originated as an insult, an explanation for why Smith was doing well here by those who were his critics. I'm not saying the term was made for Smith, but rather the connection of that word to him was made by those who in the media felt he could not win at the NFL level. Jamie Dukes, etc. People then repeat it, sometimes not intending the insult.

I'm fine with saying he's an average QB. In fact, I won't argue with those who say mediocre. But, no offense, I f***ing hate the game manager moniker. It's condescending and by definition leaves no room for any credit/worth as a QB. I'd rather people just say he sucks or is a bust. I'd disagree, but then those who didn't agree wouldn't accept it. People accept the game manager moniker because they don't realize it's an insult. (So is bust, but people recognize that as an insult and will chime in if they disagree.)

Aaron Rodgers says the term is condescending and that Smith is more than that.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...That said, they are not quite on same line as the 49ers and our OL, though improved, is nothing like the 49ers OL. Our OL still needs to add a solid guard as it was mainly the interior of the OL that fell apart last season and though we added Schwartz and I expect Allen to improve drastically I don't feel that we addressed that as much as I would have liked.

I am very much hoping that Alex Smith succeeds in KC as I am a fan; just not at the price we paid.

Just my thoughts,

Go Chiefs!

P.S. I have a feeling that you will get your second round pick next year. Chiefs should be able to finish .500 or better.

The price was indeed high for what they could get him for if not for other bidders. Reports I've read said that Buffalo offered a 2nd and a 6th, both in 2013. KC was not told the exact compensation of the offer but knew a single second was too low. Some feel that the wire tapped GM conversation saying that there were no QBs in the draft and picks are so important negates it, but there were also reports that Fitzpatrick was gone regardless. Hello, Alex Smith?

Ultimately, even if the Buffalo offer was wrong, he would have gone somewhere. People act like the Niners would have cut him. No, whoever got Kolb (Buffalo, coincidence?) or the Raiders or somebody. Less than 2 seconds, but he wouldn't have been cut.

Good luck to you, Vedder. If you don't mind (and probably even if you do), I will post here throughout the year on Smith related stuff. I have to be careful as I'm not a Chiefs fan (though they could develop into a secondary team if Alex stays). I won't really be of any use here besides talking about the QB position. I already was QB centric on the Niners board and now my only current interest in the Chiefs is your QB, your CB (Sean Smith was a Utah Ute), and that second rounder.

Good luck!

Vedder79

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your sentiment MHSL82 but my usage was not meant as a derogatory term. My definition of a game manager is someone who, though they are not going to carry a team on their back to victory, works the clock, doesn't turn the ball over and keeps their team in games. Smith is very good at doing these things which in and of it self will help the Chiefs improve drastically over our past seasons' performance.

I suppose it can be viewed as condescending in a way but not how I interpret it. I would never call Smith a bust because I think he's consistently dealt with change throughout his career and has always been solid both on and off the field. He may not have lived up to his number 1 pick overall status but then again, at the time he was drafted, he had no where near the supporting cast that is in San Fran now. I have full confidence that Smith will be good for the Chiefs but I just don't see him as a QB who can take this team to where I would like them to be given the price paid for him.

Again, I hope I'm wrong about this and will be the first to admit it if I am. Smith is a good QB, I just wouldn't call him great. I hear what you're saying about the moniker and perhaps I'll hesitate to use it in the future considering some view it as an insult. That said, I'd take a good game manager, by my definition, over a number of the more highly touted QBs in the NFL.

Anyways,

Just my thoughts,

Go Chiefs!

Vedder79

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The price was indeed high for what they could get him for if not for other bidders. Reports I've read said that Buffalo offered a 2nd and a 6th, both in 2013. KC was not told the exact compensation of the offer but knew a single second was too low. Some feel that the wire tapped GM conversation saying that there were no QBs in the draft and picks are so important negates it, but there were also reports that Fitzpatrick was gone regardless. Hello, Alex Smith?

Ultimately, even if the Buffalo offer was wrong, he would have gone somewhere. People act like the Niners would have cut him. No, whoever got Kolb (Buffalo, coincidence?) or the Raiders or somebody. Less than 2 seconds, but he wouldn't have been cut.

Good luck to you, Vedder. If you don't mind (and probably even if you do), I will post here throughout the year on Smith related stuff. I have to be careful as I'm not a Chiefs fan (though they could develop into a secondary team if Alex stays). I won't really be of any use here besides talking about the QB position. I already was QB centric on the Niners board and now my only current interest in the Chiefs is your QB, your CB (Sean Smith was a Utah Ute), and that second rounder.

Good luck!

Good luck to you and the 49ers as well. I've grown to really like your team over the past few seasons and I guess you could consider them my secondary team as well. I look forward to hearing your thoughts / insight through out the season and am hoping that by seasons end you can tell me "I told you so".

Go Chiefs!

Vedder79

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im going with Fisher because we need to protect the QB and our line has not been that great in a long time

I agree that Fisher will make an instant impact on the team and am very much looking forward to seeing him in a Chiefs uniform for a long time. I guess I just look at the Chiefs and see a team that has vastly under performed over the past few seasons, given the talent on the roster, and do put the vast majority of the blame for this on coaching and front office decisions. Pioli losing his job was probably the highlight for me as a Chiefs fan over the past season which is quite sad.

Either way, I do like the moves that Reid and Dorsey have made to this point. Fisher was as solid as any player to take at number 1, getting Shaun Smith was huge and I like the depth/competition they've added at other areas. I suppose my one question mark was the Kniles Davis pick. Guy has a ton of upside but I think that interior OL would have been a better pick at this point.