• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who to sit? Calvin, Demaryius, Josh Gordon, or Antonio Brown

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, thanks for pretty much the exact opposite of the advice you gave about this a month ago :wink:

Seriously though, there were salary and contract considerations as well. But it wouldn't have mattered, it's just a generally uninterested league, and the handful of owners that might trade were contenders that weren't going to do it with me. But I'm not sure if there's been even a single trade in this league all year

Wrong. Go back and check the tape.

I never told you not to trade Brown. You were trying to trade Calvin when he was injured and I told you not to do that because the return would not have been high enough.

May not have mattered anyway if the other owners are disinterested, but it is really difficult to trade an under performing player in a league like at. The only chance you have is to deal a guy who is red hot.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh my god, someone who knows my pain! I am locked into the 1 seed in my 14 team PPR league but very few people in the league trade, so the deadline came and passed without me being able to deal my depth. So I'll get a bye in the first round of the playoffs and then have to sit two of Calvin, Brown, Hilton, Gordon and Benjamin in the semifinal. Such a waste, but what can I do? You can't force people to make trades, and I didn't get even a single counter offer when offering my WR stable around the league. I shopped them all except Brown, I would have taken a loss on the trade just to get something I could at least use. Still nothing. So frustrating.

Well I was shooting trades to everyone. And usually some are accepted. But this year, nobody wanted to make a trade with me. I won the league last year, so maybe nobody wants to help me out?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I was shooting trades to everyone. And usually some are accepted. But this year, nobody wanted to make a trade with me. I won the league last year, so maybe nobody wants to help me out?

I've never understood that logic. If a trade makes me better, then so be it. I'll worry about you when I play you. I've got to get to the playoffs to worry about you winning anyways.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never understood that logic. If a trade makes me better, then so be it. I'll worry about you when I play you. I've got to get to the playoffs to worry about you winning anyways.

Yeah, it was upsetting. I was targeting running backs though, and my runningbacks now seem to be good enough with Bernard and Anderson, so it probably wouldn't have made me much better.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Depends.

If I know that I will make the playoffs as is, then I will not trade with another contender if I think it helps him more than it helps me.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends.

If I know that I will make the playoffs as is, then I will not trade with another contender if I think it helps him more than it helps me.

well, that also depends on the urgency of the trade.... But i agree with romeo, if my team can get better with a trade, i dont care how much better it makes my trading partner... Because the fear of making another team better only affects you if you face that team later on, and to face them later you will likely need to beat other teams, so why not make your team better to give you the best opportunity to play the team you made the trade with?? and if you are making yourself better and making the other team better too then what would your chances of beating that team if you did not make this trade??

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, that also depends on the urgency of the trade.... But i agree with romeo, if my team can get better with a trade, i dont care how much better it makes my trading partner... Because the fear of making another team better only affects you if you face that team later on, and to face them later you will likely need to beat other teams, so why not make your team better to give you the best opportunity to play the team you made the trade with?? and if you are making yourself better and making the other team better too then what would your chances of beating that team if you did not make this trade??

But in this particular case, he has 4 WR studs. Regardless of who he trades, he would be essentially turning a bench player into a stud at a position of weakness. I have a hard time imagining a scenario where such a trade would help a competitor as much as it would help him.

I think big when it comes to trading. If a deal helps another team more than it helps me, then I would be reluctant to do it. I play to win, not just to get there. Creating a powerhouse would hurt my overall chances to win even if it improves my team marginally.

Now, if I were on the playoff bubble, I might do it anyway. If I have a good record and have an inside track to the postseason, then there is no way I help my opponent create a dream team.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But in this particular case, he has 4 WR studs. Regardless of who he trades, he would be essentially turning a bench player into a stud at a position of weakness. I have a hard time imagining a scenario where such a trade would help a competitor as much as it would help him.

I think big when it comes to trading. If a deal helps another team more than it helps me, then I would be reluctant to do it. I play to win, not just to get there. Creating a powerhouse would hurt my overall chances to win even if it improves my team marginally.

Now, if I were on the playoff bubble, I might do it anyway. If I have a good record and have an inside track to the postseason, then there is no way I help my opponent create a dream team.

But again, if you are making yourself better you are giving yourself the best opportunity to face this Powerhouse you created, with a chance that another team could have taken down this powerhouse... Also, what is the chances of beating this powerhouse team you created if you did not make the trade??

So much happens in football week to week, that i never focus on other teams, i only try to make my team better... Maybe thats just me, but i just dont see how making another team better affects me at all...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i am assuming fair trade, not just any trade...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But again, if you are making yourself better you are giving yourself the best opportunity to face this Powerhouse you created, with a chance that another team could have taken down this powerhouse... Also, what is the chances of beating this powerhouse team you created if you did not make the trade??

So much happens in football week to week, that i never focus on other teams, i only try to make my team better... Maybe thats just me, but i just dont see how making another team better affects me at all...

My chances would be much better if he was not a powerhouse.

Let's say that this team with D. Thomas, Megatron, Brown and Gordon was also starting Frank Gore as his RB2.
If he traded Thomas for Lacy, that would make his team infinitely better. If I needed to make a deal like that to make the playoffs, I would do it.

If you lose sight of all the variables in a trade, you could cost yourself a title shot. Unless I could get him to substantially overpay, I would not make an even trade with a team like that.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My chances would be much better if he was not a powerhouse.

Let's say that this team with D. Thomas, Megatron, Brown and Gordon was also starting Frank Gore as his RB2.
If he traded Thomas for Lacy, that would make his team infinitely better. If I needed to make a deal like that to make the playoffs, I would do it.

If you lose sight of all the variables in a trade, you could cost yourself a title shot. Unless I could get him to substantially overpay, I would not make an even trade with a team like that.

yes, but if you focus too much on the variables then you may lose the opportunity to strengthen your team... and you may need that strength to beat some other teams!!!!

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
plus, if my team is so deep that i can make that type of trade, who is to say i am not a powerhouse now too??

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
plus, if my team is so deep that i can make that type of trade, who is to say i am not a powerhouse now too??

Because it is very rare to have 4 studs at 1 position like he does. Unless his trade partner had the opposite issue with great backs and crappy WRs, it does not make sense.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

yes, but if you focus too much on the variables then you may lose the opportunity to strengthen your team... and you may need that strength to beat some other teams!!!!

You are missing the key here.

If I have one of the best teams, I am not helping him out unless it helps my team more. Every point I made is assuming I already have a playoff team.

By the way, I could care less about finishing second.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are missing the key here.

If I have one of the best teams, I am not helping him out unless it helps my team more. Every point I made is assuming I already have a playoff team.

By the way, I could care less about finishing second.

if it is not the best team then how else are you going to make it better?? Unless you are already the best team, making another team better should not be your worry...

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's ten team. Three of my top four picks were Calvin, demaryius, and brown. My third pick was gio.

That still is crazy.

I picked up Antonio with the 24th pick overall. That means he had to have went 40+ in your league.

What in the HELL was everyone thinking in your league not drafting him?!!!!

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That still is crazy.

I picked up Antonio with the 24th pick overall. That means he had to have went 40+ in your league.

What in the HELL was everyone thinking in your league not drafting him?!!!!

He went 34 I think, Calvin was 7, demaryius was 14, gio at 27, and brown at 34. He was overlooked by many. Nobody though he'd be a number 1 in this league.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if it is not the best team then how else are you going to make it better?? Unless you are already the best team, making another team better should not be your worry...

There are a lot of ways to make a team better. Why do I have to trade with 1 specific team?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of ways to make a team better. Why do I have to trade with 1 specific team?

not sure, but i was under the impression in this hypothetical that this was the only way to get him better...