• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

who compete with Mach Brown for UT HC

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When that vacancy happened way back when, what other names was Texas looking at?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When that vacancy happened way back when, what other names was Texas looking at?

Scott Frost!!!

Scott Frost I tell you!!!!

Scott Frost!!!!

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quack, Quack, Quack

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mack Brown was not the first choice. The leading candidate was actually Gary Barnett back then, when he was at Northwestern.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack Brown was not the first choice. The leading candidate was actually Gary Barnett back then, when he was at Northwestern.

interesting, was Mack choice #2? Or did Texas go through a few coaches first?

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dennis Francione

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeLoss wanted Barnett, but the cigars picked Brown.

Bingo! We have a winner. That's the problem. The Cigars have got to go!

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which you know will never happen....

Until it does, Texas will not be a perennial winner again, nor any school for that matter. You can look at many examples throughout the years of cronyism that kept a school from winning. We even have examples in the NFL with the old Atlanta Falcons before the team was sold to the owner of Home Depot. The Dallas Cowboys are a good example now with Jerry not keeping his nose out of what goes on and he ran off coaches who told him to keep his nose out and let them run the team and staff.

Teams with true success have a coach who runs the team and his staff, has say in all matters concerning that part and an AD that keeps the Administration and boosters out of the workings of the team.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until it does, Texas will not be a perennial winner again, nor any school for that matter. You can look at many examples throughout the years of cronyism that kept a school from winning. We even have examples in the NFL with the old Atlanta Falcons before the team was sold to the owner of Home Depot. The Dallas Cowboys are a good example now with Jerry not keeping his nose out of what goes on and he ran off coaches who told him to keep his nose out and let them run the team and staff.

Teams with true success have a coach who runs the team and his staff, has say in all matters concerning that part and an AD that keeps the Administration and boosters out of the workings of the team.
-
Pretty much happens everywhere. Not to mention this does not seem to have been a terrible call. One of the bigger influences was DKR himself in that decision. Large boosters will always have their say at every school. The issue is when their voice drowns out all reason. I dont think Texas is much worse in the area than most. Auburn is a prime example of boosters done wild.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Pretty much happens everywhere. Not to mention this does not seem to have been a terrible call. One of the bigger influences was DKR himself in that decision. Large boosters will always have their say at every school. The issue is when their voice drowns out all reason. I dont think Texas is much worse in the area than most. Auburn is a prime example of boosters done wild.

Sure boosters get to make some calls and it does happen at every school. My point was more to what happens within the program itself, the recruiting, coaching and players. I have been very lucky to have seen some really good years at Alabama and the recent run is attributed to the AD and coach being on the same page and keeping the boosters out of decision making for the school's football team. Having a coach who says "hands off, its my team and my way" is what its going to take at Texas to make an impact in the next few years and the "cigars" could make the search a difficult one.

I liken this to when "The Bear" left Alabama. His choice of successor was not Ray Perkins(who got the job due to the University President and boosters) but was Gene Stallings. Stallings did eventually get hired and lead the team back to a title in 1992, proving that he was a good choice by the Bear all along.

If I was going to replace Mack, i would be asking his opinion of who he thought was good for UT football and go with his choice or choices.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure boosters get to make some calls and it does happen at every school. My point was more to what happens within the program itself, the recruiting, coaching and players. I have been very lucky to have seen some really good years at Alabama and the recent run is attributed to the AD and coach being on the same page and keeping the boosters out of decision making for the school's football team. Having a coach who says "hands off, its my team and my way" is what its going to take at Texas to make an impact in the next few years and the "cigars" could make the search a difficult one.

I liken this to when "The Bear" left Alabama. His choice of successor was not Ray Perkins(who got the job due to the University President and boosters) but was Gene Stallings. Stallings did eventually get hired and lead the team back to a title in 1992, proving that he was a good choice by the Bear all along.

If I was going to replace Mack, i would be asking his opinion of who he thought was good for UT football and go with his choice or choices.

Agree. Right now Bama boosters have probably their smallest influence over the program in 20 yrs. That is a function of the power of Saban. Texas is in a troubling spot. AD leaving and a coach expected to leave. There is a power vacuum at the top currently. A lot of the future will depend on how strong the new AD will become. One bad initial hire and you could see the boosters run a muck.