• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

who are your fantasy busts??

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basing this on ADP value
C- Salvador Perez- he has played so many games in the previous seasons, that he is not as young as he seems, and there are rumors that they want to cut down on his starts this season...

1B- Jose Abreu- He is very good, but he does not have much room for improvement... He had an unreal HR/flyball rate last season... With him on the decline, being picked as the best or even 3rd best 1B is just over paying for him...

2B-Jose Altuve- he is drafted in the first or early 2nd round... As great as he is, he does not walk enough, so unless he hits over .330 again he will be a major disappointment in draft return... And do to a lower OBP, don't be surprised if his SB and runs are down too...

3B-Pablo Sandoval- I will give you that this bust was harder because I like almost all the top 15 3B at their value... I just picked Sandoval because he is now getting the red sox hype... He is still a big fat man, still injury prone, and still changing leagues... Changing leagues always needs an adapting...

SS- Hanley Ramirez- I am VERY low on him this season... Maybe its my yankee fandom, but I never trust players going to a new position, AND going to a new league... Not to mention he is no longer a spring chicken and has already had some major injuries...

OF- Bryce Harper- He is still being drafted because of his ceiling, and not because of his previous seasons... He hasn't stayed healthy yet... I still consider him a prospect...

OF- Adam eaton- I love watching him play, but he is one of those players who plays TOO hard... and because of that he will never stay healthy... Hopefully he doesn't get too injured this season... But even if he plays, he is basically a good OBP player with above average speed and below average power... and the speed is nothing SPECIAL...

SP1- Max Scherzer- he is being drafted as the number 2 SP in baseball... I just don't understand this... I don't even have him being top 5... He is now 30 years old and had his first good season at the age of 28, yes that season was the CY year and was great, but last season he had only a very good season for the value... He had a 3.1 ERA, when we are in the years of pitching, that is just not good enough for an early stud... And Now he is changing leagues, yes it is the National league and yes he is going to a pitching ballpark and yes he will face 3 bad offenses a lot... But is that enough to make him the 2nd pitcher?? I am just not a fan!!!

SP- Corey Kluber- Yes he was the CY last season, but he came from nowhere, can he really be trusted in the early rounds???

SP- Matt Harvey- Coming back from tommy john should be enough for him to be on my bust list... But it is more than that... I don't trust young pitchers who have not yet seen extended failure... Harvey has not yet had a terrible game and has not had two bad games in a row... I would like to see how the young kid could handle failure... We should see soon since normally pitchers need to work themselves back to game form after tommy john...

Honorable mention Degrom, Tanaka, Anthony Rendon, Dee Gordon

Last edited:

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to see some proof about the hitters changing leagues = bad. Pitchers I get, but I don't see what effect it has on hitters. I think Hanley has a good year in power, and an injury-free season in the easiest position in baseball ...literally, LF in Fenway is the easiest place to play defense in baseball.

Agree with Perez, Abreu (I'd rather Rizzo), Altuve and Harper.

Panda and Eaton go late enough where I don't consider it a bust.

And I'm all over Mad Max and Harvey. Power pitchers in the weakest division (offensively) in baseball.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to see some proof about the hitters changing leagues = bad. Pitchers I get, but I don't see what effect it has on hitters. I think Hanley has a good year in power, and an injury-free season in the easiest position in baseball ...literally, LF in Fenway is the easiest place to play defense in baseball.

And I'm all over Mad Max and Harvey. Power pitchers in the weakest division (offensively) in baseball.

Might be easy to play LF in fenway, but if he is not at full comfort then he is risking injury more so than playing SS... Also will his defense affect his mindset... Change in position there are just so many variables, that I can not say the player is the same as if he was back at his normal position... Not saying he will be bad, I just am more hesitant in picking him than normal...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCutchen is my bust. He's just not the 30-20 type guy anymore. Not even 25-15. If he gets to 10 SB, I'll be mildly shocked. I really don't see much difference between him and Kemp anymore.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCutchen is my bust. He's just not the 30-20 type guy anymore. I really don't see much difference between him and Kemp anymore.

I was thinking about him, but didn't mention him... Mostly because he was never really a 30 HR guy... He was always an OBP guy first who was way above average in everything else...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't really say never. 31a couple years back.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bust was a bust last year and became my sleeper this year and now may turn out to be my bust:

Jedd Gyorko

However, I believe he may also have plenty of company in San Diego.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prince Fielder will get a bunch of suckers this year.

VMart will hit 20 hr if he actually makes it through the season.

Matt Shoemaker- back to obscurity

Brandon Finnegan- too much post season hype

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about busts, but guys I'm not touching in any drafts(Or only taking if they slip significantly.) include:

Andrew McCutcheon
Max Scherzer
Adam Jones
Craig Kimbrel
Billy Hamilton
Jeff Samarjahoweveryouspellit
Matt Kemp
Jayson Werth
Jimmy Rollins
Albert Pujols
Kris Bryant
Phil Hughes

Guys I think might regress, or again fail to perform at a high level, or get hurt again, but Im targeting anyway, just in case:
Yordano Ventura
Bryce Harper
Jonathon Lucroy
Victor Martnez
Mat Latos

I disagree with the OP on Kluber. Drafted him in 5 out of 7 leagues last year, I believe. Wasn't planning on CYA numbers, but was expecting him to jump into the top tier (20-30) of power righties. Definitely not out of nowhere last year.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Guys like Harvey and Jose Fernandez are scary to me. Haven't drafted either of them. I just don't see them returning to form without a year of bounce back. Tanaka I should have included in that targeting anyway category, but I don't know why he doesn't scare me more, since his elbow is bound to give out sooner rather than later.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kris Bryant is going to be sick in Wrigley.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Abreu could have a step back season as well, but you cite his higher hr to fly ball rate. I think the reason it was so high was because Abreu is probably the most powerful hitter in the MLB. His HRs pop off the bat like no other in the mlb. I think he'll still get around 30-35 hrs, but his average will drop because pitchers will catch onto the fact that he can't hit a slider to save his life, but also can't keep himself from swinging at them.