• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which trophies will call Iowa City their home this year? Cy-Hawk Trophy has already.

Which trophies will call Iowa City their home this year? Cy-Hawk Trophy has already.

• Total voters

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which trophies will Iowa bring home this year?

The only trophy Iowa has seen in the past 2 seasons is the pig. The only rivalry Iowa won last season was against Minnesota, but lost all the other ones and failed to make a bowl game.

Cy-Hawk Trophy - So far, the only trophy secured for a year. Iowa had already beaten Iowa State.

Floyd of Rosedale - Iowa plays Minnesota tomorrow afternoon. Will the little pig stay in his pasture in Iowa City?

Heartland Trophy - Past few years, there's no doubt by any Iowa fan that Wisconsin would have destroyed Iowa, but Wisconsin lost their coach and Iowa seems to look a little better. These 2 teams have not met since 2010 where Wisconsin won by 1 point in a bruiser of a game. Could Iowa get them this season?

Heroes Trophy
- The only one of these rivalry trophies Iowa has failed to get. It has only been in existence for 2 seasons and Nebraska won both. Could Iowa be ready to take it out of Memorial Stadium on Black Friday?

Bowl Game - I will leave this off of the poll because Iowa hasn't made it, and even if they do, they don't know who they will play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of the above. Maybe next year guys.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Iowa will get the pig back and the Hearland. I kinda believe they will win the Heroes, but I am not that confident in it.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2008, Rivals.com named Floyd of Rosedale the top rivalry trophy in college football. It is one of the oldest rivalry trophies out there and due to the nature of it's beginning, maybe one of the most important as Iowa stood up for it's black player against the racist Gophers back then. Unfortunately Iowa is still down in the overall series, but I hope the spirit of Ozzie Simmons carries the day for the Hawkeyes on Saturday.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2008, Rivals.com named Floyd of Rosedale the top rivalry trophy in college football. It is one of the oldest rivalry trophies out there and due to the nature of it's beginning, maybe one of the most important as Iowa stood up for it's black player against the racist Gophers back then. Unfortunately Iowa is still down in the overall series, but I hope the spirit of Ozzie Simmons carries the day for the Hawkeyes on Saturday.

I didn't realize they had it above The Paul Bunyon Axe between Minnesota and Wisconsin.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They win the pig tomorrow. And if Nebraska is in the Interim stage they win the Hero's.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
I didn't realize they had it above The Paul Bunyon Axe between Minnesota and Wisconsin.

I didn't know that myself. I always figured since the badger/Gopher was the oldest rivalry, it was also the oldest trophy game.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Minnesota- Win. Minnesota is one dimensional on offense, and Iowa is tough against the run.

Wisconsin- Toss up. Anyone who believes that Wisconsin would have "killed" Iowa the last two seasons, knows nothing about the series. This game is always close, regardless of either teams skill set.

@Nebraska- Toss up. Nebraska is a hard team to read, they look like a top 15 team at times, but then they look horrible at times also. I won't be betting for or against Nebby this year.

IMO Iowa will take home 3 of the 4, beating ISU, Minny and splitting the other two.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if Nebraska is able to pass, Iowa is in trouble. I think they will contain Martinez, because Iowa is really good at that, but if they can pass, Iowa is screwed.

Iowa's offense isn't what I hoped it would be. I expected it to be the strong point of the team, and the offense has struggled IMO. I could see this game being a low scoring game if Nebraska cannot pass.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JohnRandle, the Pig isn't the oldest trophy, I believe the oldest one is actually the trophy between Arizona and ASU, Territorial Cup or something like that, the Axe is a bit older. Minny actually is up on us for the whole rivalry by about 20 wins due to the long dry spell Iowa had in the 30's, 40's, most of the 50's, etc...but it carries such a story behind it that it is always in the top 5 of the rivalry trophies. It's a cool read if you have never looked it up, essentially Minny tried to kill Ozzie Simmons, a black player on Iowa's squad back in the '30s...yes Iowa was ahead of its time and it was quite a story.

Ozzie Simmons belongs in Iowa's Ring of Honor IMO

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Paul Bunyon Axe is not the oldest trophy (started in 1948) and is really not the original trophy in the rivalry. The Slab of Bacon was the original trophy in 1930. But the rivalry is the most played rivalry in FBS.

and according to Wikipedia, there are 2 FBS rivalries on the most played rivalries list that started before the Minnesota-Wisconsin rivalry.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most played and longest uninterrupted rivalry in all of Division I is "The Rivalry" between Lehigh and Lafayette.

Played 148 times from 1884-2012 (1896 was the only year during that time they did not play).

Only Harvard-Yale Rivalry is older, which started when American football was more like rugby.

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon - Oregon State are one of the longest as well...

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Iowa Michigan State game really needs a trophy...it's always a fun game to watch and the teams are usually pretty evenly matched...SparHawk trophy?

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SparHawk??? How about EyeTans Trophy, lol.

I think these trophies are starting to get a little old. One or two a year is enough, imho. Beyond that it's overkill. If you make one up just to make one up with no history or reason behind it (ala Floyd) it's a bit frivolous. The Iowa/NE trophy is a good example of something just kind of made up for teams with no real history behind their "rivalry", if you can even call it that.