• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which Ms player(s) get off to a hot start ... who struggles?

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread was intended for batting - hitters.... but feel free to include hot pitching starts if you wish. Its all about thoughts predictions and maybe the 'whys' if you wish to include them

I will list in any random order:

1. Dan Vogelbach - starts hot. If any player is poised to stay hot it is him ( what a spring ! )
2. Cano - he has to be at peak health early in the season. he is a seasoned veteran and delivers early months
3. Zunino - fingers crossed here ... but I think this is the year. May as well start hot - had a great ST

Gordon and Segura deliver steady .300 numbers ( hot for others - them its the norm )

Cruz I think struggles as does Seager again ( typical slow starter in April )

Pitching:

I am big on Gonzo and Paxton. paxton same hot start as last year - Gonzo impresses with multiple solid outings

Felix - sadly I think struggles and dissapoints with more sub par outings than good ones. Alot of hitters looking forward to evening the score against him in his declining years

thats all i got .... your take on things and why ??

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Struggles early:Healy, Haniger, Hernandez

Hot early: Gordon, Seager, Diaz

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My expected struggles:

- Mitch Haniger
- Kyle Seager
- Guillermo Heredia

My hopeful and expected hot starts:

- Mike Zunino
- Dan Vogel-bomb
- Dee Gordon

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I didn't even list Ichiro due to the fact that I do not consider him a part of the team.

Whether he somehow backdoors his way onto the 25 man roster or whatever.

He is irrelevant to me. I hope he fails miserably and quickly, and is on the next flight to Japan as soon as possible.

Last thing the 2018 Mariners need is a 44yo washed up Japanese baseball player in the dugout who can't play and doesn't speak english. Yet is so addicted to the ego rush he gets from the brainwashed Seattle fanboys and Asian hipsters ... he couldn't pass up the chance to be in the lime light again.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really hope Diaz takes the next step and can become a elite closer. That he's gotten his command under control.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My expected struggles:

- Mitch Haniger
- Kyle Seager
- Guillermo Heredia

My hopeful and expected hot starts:

- Mike Zunino
- Dan Vogel-bomb
- Dee Gordon
If you don't mind Seahawks_3, I would like to copy your predictions because those are exactly the same way I would go. Not so sure about Voge though because I think Servais could (will) mess him up big time because he's not going to take advantage of Voge's being on his amazing roll and his positive attitude is just as amazing right now and I think he really needed the "rush" of that opening night fan's excitement @ Safeco and all the stuff that goes along with it to keep that momentum going forward. Seager always starts out slow in April+ and I think Haniger is going to need more play time to get his confidence up and get back on his game. I think the Z man has made the adjustments at the plate and has a better eye to avoid those down and away ones that have killed him in the past.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I didn't even list Ichiro due to the fact that I do not consider him a part of the team.

Whether he somehow backdoors his way onto the 25 man roster or whatever.

He is irrelevant to me. I hope he fails miserably and quickly, and is on the next flight to Japan as soon as possible.

Last thing the 2018 Mariners need is a 44yo washed up Japanese baseball player in the dugout who can't play and doesn't speak english. Yet is so addicted to the ego rush he gets from the brainwashed Seattle fanboys and Asian hipsters ... he couldn't pass up the chance to be in the lime light again.
Gosh, now I hope even more Ichiro does well

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't mind Seahawks_3, I would like to copy your predictions because those are exactly the same way I would go. Not so sure about Voge though because I think Servais could (will) mess him up big time because he's not going to take advantage of Voge's being on his amazing roll and his positive attitude is just as amazing right now and I think he really needed the "rush" of that opening night fan's excitement @ Safeco and all the stuff that goes along with it to keep that momentum going forward. Seager always starts out slow in April+ and I think Haniger is going to need more play time to get his confidence up and get back on his game. I think the Z man has made the adjustments at the plate and has a better eye to avoid those down and away ones that have killed him in the past.

Do it to it new friend!

I agree, Vogel-bomb has "mismanaged" written all over it to start the season. That being said, I hope his new mechanics can break through any BS that the skip has for the early lineups. Dee Gordon has done so well in center field during the spring that anything short from an all-star bid would be a disappointment; I expect a lot from him. Zunino seems to have truly turned the corner when you consider last year, and then coming into spring doing just as well. It's his time! Unfortunately, the three I chose to struggle are mostly based off of the little bit I saw in ST with mechanics and Kyle's typical slow April. I think Haniger & Heredia will be fine in the long term but it's gonna be a slow go if they continue the ugly AB's I saw; something doesn't look right.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do it to it new friend!

I agree, Vogel-bomb has "mismanaged" written all over it to start the season. That being said, I hope his new mechanics can break through any BS that the skip has for the early lineups. Dee Gordon has done so well in center field during the spring that anything short from an all-star bid would be a disappointment; I expect a lot from him. Zunino seems to have truly turned the corner when you consider last year, and then coming into spring doing just as well. It's his time! Unfortunately, the three I chose to struggle are mostly based off of the little bit I saw in ST with mechanics and Kyle's typical slow April. I think Haniger & Heredia will be fine in the long term but it's gonna be a slow go if they continue the ugly AB's I saw; something doesn't look right.
Thank you. Yep, I'm pretty much right there with you. I think we're gonna be seeing Dee going wild on the base path. He's a fast one and he kind of reminds me of Dyson. I'm psyched for the season to get going. I put my vote in for 79 wins in 2018 but I'm hoping I am wrong and they at least break over the .500 mark. Whatever happens I just hope we play decent ball this season.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea how dare I want a Mariners player to do well, lol

Its like taking 1 for the team

The quicker he fails and they give up on this Geritol of an experiment ... the better the overall outcome for the M's as a whole :exploding:

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its like taking 1 for the team

The quicker he fails and they give up on this Geritol of an experiment ... the better the overall outcome for the M's as a whole :exploding:
I wouldnt except Ichiro to be gone till at least Gamel gets back and even after that I doubt they cut him.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt except Ichiro to be gone till at least Gamel gets back and even after that I doubt they cut him.

When he's struggling to get his avg above the Mendoza line in mid to late April ... the M's are going to re-access the Ichiro experiment

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer Heredia myself, hes probably my favorite younger Mariner

I like Heredia - excellent baseball fundamentals and plays a great OF

I just wish he would shorten his swing up some. He is never going to be a HR hitter, yet sometimes / and too often he comes out of his shoes swinging with one of those big boy hacks ( usual swing and miss )

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wish he would shorten his swing up some. He is never going to be a HR hitter, yet sometimes / and too often he comes out of his shoes swinging with one of those big boy hacks ( usual swing and miss )

My words all last year. Contact, contact, contact.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer Heredia myself, hes probably my favorite younger Mariner
I like Heredia too but he has a lot of work to do.. He has talent no doubt but he has some learning to do at the plate. Often he looks clueless at the plate. He has a "swing and a prayer" approach. I really think he needs more at bats.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Heredia too but he has a lot of work to do.. He has talent no doubt but he has some learning to do at the plate. Often he looks clueless at the plate. He has a "swing and a prayer" approach. I really think he needs more at bats.

And he won't get that platooning, which is why I have thought he needs to play everyday in Tacoma. To me, he has the most raw skill out of any Mariners OF.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ichiro will be lucky to bat .200 if given 100 at bats before getting his walking papers

He just looks so unsettled at the plate and out of his comfort zone. He has always had that wierd slap hitter plate approach that is unorthodox compared to other MLB players who sit on pitches and drive the ball.

He appears to not be able to do either in the at bats last nite I saw and his few ST at bats I have seen.

Lets hope this little experiment is over before it gets started and we get Gamel back sooner than later and have a farewell Ichiro nite at Safeco here in another couple weeks. We are a better ballclub without him I am 100% certain

And he won't get that platooning, which is why I have thought he needs to play everyday in Tacoma. To me, he has the most raw skill out of any Mariners OF.

he has the best throwing arm of all of our outfielders and the best nose for the ball. He always gets a great jump and is always taking the direct best line to the ball. Something Gordon failed to do last nite that cost us a run ( bloop hit over the SS and Gordons 1st step was back - that was a catchable ball for him had he made the correct read on the ball )

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early cold: Healy, Seagar, Ichiro
Early hot: Haniger, Gordon, Zunino
Steady: Cruz, Cano, Segura

Ichiro: I doubt if he gets cut. I think, somewhere between late April and mid May they will find an excuse to DL him until the rosters expand in September.

I think at this point, Heredia is what he is: a .250ish hitter who is slightly below average in production (runs scored, RBI). But he is still a better 4th outfielder option than Ichiro. I also have concerns about Gamel. He hit .227 in the second half last year and .188 over the last two months. Early on, he rode an unrealistic BABIP to a high BA but I don't see lightening striking in a bottle for him two years in a row. Mariners may eventually come to realize that they need to go outside the organization to find a quality left fielder.