• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where does John Elway rank among GMs?

Where does Elway rank among NFL GMs?

• Top 5

• Top 10, he's good but I want to see him do it for longer

• Middle of the pack, too many mistakes

• Near the bottom, he just got lucky with Manning

Results are only viewable after voting.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then tell me why he picked Denver?
I already have.

1. Good oline
2. A young receiver he trusted
3. A defense that was good enough to take a scrubby Tebow +/- some players to the playoffs
4. Trusted that Elway would work with him to get the right guys
5. Worried his arm was dead and thought that playing in Denver could help extend his career.

I think they were all factors.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, elway did a 180 from his teams focus and style of play, rather quickly after failing in a Brady 07 like manner. Offensive juggernaut to defensive focused and offensive game management. Not many gm's hsve or can do that quickly with such success.
And i hate elway.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ozzie Newsome has to be in the discussion, although it took him 10 years to win a Super Bowl after becoming gm.

He became GM in 1996. He won a Super Bowl 2001.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already have.

1. Good oline
2. A young receiver he trusted
3. A defense that was good enough to take a scrubby Tebow +/- some players to the playoffs
4. Trusted that Elway would work with him to get the right guys
5. Worried his arm was dead and thought that playing in Denver could help extend his career.

I think they were all factors.
The last point is ridiculous, altitude has essentially no factor for a qb.

That defense that was good enough to take Tebow to the playoffs was built by Elway. Like I said, they were the worst defense in the NFL when he got there.

The o-line was considered a good run blocking unit but a poor pass blocking one. The only stud on the line was Clady, who pre-dated Elway and the previous regime (Clady was a Shanahan pick).

The good receiver thing I'll give you, although as I said, DT didn't really become the DT we know today until 2012.

As someone who followed the Manning free agency very closely, I'm just telling you you're seriously underselling the impact Elway had on Manning's decision to sign with Denver. It just wasn't happening without Elway.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, elway did a 180 from his teams focus and style of play, rather quickly after failing in a Brady 07 like manner. Offensive juggernaut to defensive focused and offensive game management. Not many gm's hsve or can do that quickly with such success.
And i hate elway.
Getting Harris and Von Miller back healthy had to matter, too, considering how important Miller was to that team.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last point is ridiculous, altitude has essentially no factor for a qb.

That defense that was good enough to take Tebow to the playoffs was built by Elway. Like I said, they were the worst defense in the NFL when he got there.

The o-line was considered a good run blocking unit but a poor pass blocking one. The only stud on the line was Clady, who pre-dated Elway and the previous regime (Clady was a Shanahan pick).

The good receiver thing I'll give you, although as I said, DT didn't really become the DT we know today until 2012.

As someone who followed the Manning free agency very closely, I'm just telling you you're seriously underselling the impact Elway had on Manning's decision to sign with Denver. It just wasn't happening without Elway.
For the record, I ranked Elway #4 on my GM list. I dont think Im seriously underselling him at all.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I ranked Elway #4 on my GM list. I dont think Im seriously underselling him at all.
If you ranked him 4th, you've undersold him.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Peyton was persuaded by a team going from 32nd to 20th in defense over a team like Arizona that had Larry Fitzgerald and a good defense? If thats what you want to believe but you certainly aren't going to change my opinion with that.

I think it will always be a combination of the two. Elway had a very good first draft that produced quite a few starters. He also hit FA pretty hard that year. In the 1st year as GM almost 20 roster spots completely changed from the regime before. By 2012 when Manning signed with the Broncos another 15 had changed. So over half the roster just in a matter of 2 off seasons had already changed from what the regime before had done. So while they get some credit for guys like DT, Decker, Clady, Bruton, Bailey, and a few others this truly has become Elway's roster and for the most part already was when Manning signed with us.

I think right now the only players still left from the last regime are Clady, Bruton, Colquitt.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just curious but which of the following GMs do you place him ahead of.

Ted Thompson, Bill Bellicheck, Ozzie Newsome, John Schneider, Gettleman, Kevin Colbert, Steve Keim?

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ted Thompson, Bill Bellicheck, Ozzie Newsome, John Schneider, Gettleman, Kevin Colbert, Steve Keim?
I think he meant he ranked him as 4th for the reason that Manning came to Denver. If not, I retract my previous post.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Its in the thread thats two threads down. Copy paste..

Just throwing darts out there but..

1. Schneider
2. Bellichick
3. Keim
4. Elway
5. Colbert
6. Dorsey
7. Spielman
8. Brown
9. McKenzie
10. The guy who ignores Jerry Jones
11. Newsome
12. Thompson
13. Maccagnan
14. Snead
15. Mayhew

The old Carolina GM that built the team would probably be top 5 if he was still in the league

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its in the thread thats two threads down. Copy paste..

Just throwing darts out there but..

1. Schneider
2. Bellichick
3. Keim
4. Elway
5. Colbert
6. Dorsey
7. Spielman
8. Brown
9. McKenzie
10. The guy who ignores Jerry Jones
11. Newsome
12. Thompson
13. Maccagnan
14. Snead
15. Mayhew

The old Carolina GM that built the team would probably be top 5 if he was still in the league

Wow. Pretty rough on Thompson and Newsome.

Thank goodness you didn't put Reese on your list like that Chronicle article did.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Pretty rough on Thompson and Newsome.

Thank goodness you didn't put Reese on your list like that Chronicle article did.
Newsome is tough to rank because he rebuilt his team and it tanked. The Ravens are in a tough spot where they arent going to be good at passing and they aren't that good at defending the pass. He does have a legacy of drafting well but I think he has built the worst kind of team right now.

Ted Thompson was one of the best until about 2012. Its hard to name just about anything the Packers have done right recently.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newsome is tough to rank because he rebuilt his team and it tanked. The Ravens are in a tough spot where they arent going to be good at passing and they aren't that good at defending the pass. He does have a legacy of drafting well but I think he has built the worst kind of team right now.

Ted Thompson was one of the best until about 2012. Its hard to name just about anything the Packers have done right recently.

Packers have had a pretty rough brain drain recently. Tough to replicate what they had going for a while- Ted Thompson or not.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers have had a pretty rough brain drain recently. Tough to replicate what they had going for a while- Ted Thompson or not.
How many more years so the Packers have of just relying on Aaron Rodgers to save the day? I doubt he'll be pulling a Peyton and trying to extend his career as long as possible. Its pretty easy to see him riding off into the sunset with Olivia Munn in a couple of years around 2019. Thats a fairly small window.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think with the Packers coach actually calling out the GM for being so stuck in his ways that should be an indication that there is some divide going on with that team. They have been very good at drafting for a lot of years but they are definitely seeing what happens when you don't draft well and refuse to go out into FA to help bolster the roster. I would say a lot of the mistakes of the past couple of years have been overshadowed by the shear fact that they have the best QB in the league but we saw this year that can only do so much.