• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's ahead for the 2014 Pittsburgh pirates and will they take a step further?

CincyMan339

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NL Central race will again be tight next year, and I fully expect the Pirates to come out just like they did last year, and expect them to improve.

I was at the Wildcard game in October, PNC Park was going insane. I hated the Reds lost but to see that park alive was fantastic. I hate to say it, but I'm glad Pittsburgh is competitive again.

FreddyS4MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird, the link just takes me to his page. He posts under "soxfan1468927."

Yeah, I don't understand why it won't me let do anything besides post on these boards. Does he even post a lot? I wouldn't know because it won't let me check anything.

The NL Central race will again be tight next year, and I fully expect the Pirates to come out just like they did last year, and expect them to improve.

I was at the Wildcard game in October, PNC Park was going insane. I hated the Reds lost but to see that park alive was fantastic. I hate to say it, but I'm glad Pittsburgh is competitive again.

I honestly don't see how the Pirates are going to repeat last years success. I hope I'm wrong though. However, the crowds at PNC park should be better than previous years. I actually didn't even go to a pirates game last season.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't understand why it won't me let do anything besides post on these boards. Does he even post a lot? I wouldn't know because it won't let me check anything.

I honestly don't see how the Pirates are going to repeat last years success. I hope I'm wrong though. However, the crowds at PNC park should be better than previous years. I actually didn't even go to a pirates game last season.

Probably because you're a new account.

FreddyS4MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think that's the reason. Its dumb because I can't do anything besides post.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't think that's the reason. Its dumb because I can't do anything besides post.

They are also really careful with registered sex offenders on this site

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Marte's progress (or lack thereof) is a huge factor in their season.

i think the biggest factor for pittsburgh this season is their rotation... i think the over achieved last year with the likes of liriano and aj burnett... But if the pitching staff can pitch anywhere near they did last season then they will be a good team...

Making the playoffs is another story, since there are a lot of teams like pittsburgh in the NL...

I dont know if i would call them a better or worse team than STL,CIN,WAS,ATL,LAD,SF,AZ...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually a little shocked STL is the favorite after losing Beltran. Cards and Pirates were neck and neck last year and last years RISP hitting isnt sustainable. The Central is absolutely a 3 team race though I do suspect the Cardinals will have the best pitching

DieHardForever397

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pirates are undefeated in spring training so far, does this mean the bucs are definitely poised for an amazing 2014 season if they go undefeated in spring training?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If their top 2 pitching prospects are ready the Pirates will make a lot of noise this season.

I guess you are talking about Taillon and Glasnow?

Taillion(along with Polanco), barring injury/sucking at AAA, will come up after super 2 is out of the way. Its kinda obvious we left holes for them to fill, time will tell what Snider/tabata do in rf and what the 5th starter does the first 2-3 months.

Not the ideal way to compete this season, but we cant let bluechip prospects linger in AAA and it can pay off huge in a couple years.

Glasnow along with Hanson and Kingham, looks like July 1 2015 eta.

DieHardForever397

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say the pirates have a successful record in spring training, will that mean the bucs are favorite to win the pennant and World Series? What if they finish like 19-2 in spring training? Then are they bound for WS?

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will finish 4th in division.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very intrigued to see how the battlin' Bucs do this year. As the Nats found out last year, it's a lot harder going from being the hunter for so many years to all of the sudden being the hunted. That division is a nightmare too, of course there's STL/Cincy but the Brewcrew will be better than they were last year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cardinals are clearly the more talented team, but Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are about even in terms of talent overall. The Brewers are the next step down, and then there's the Cubs.

I suspect Pittsburgh and Cincinnati will again be two of the most major players in the Wildcard race, with not much chance at the division unless a lot of players get hurt for St. Louis. But Washington will be making strides this year, as well, to add to the depth of the Wildcard race.

I saw a figure putting the Pirates at a 25% chance to make the postseason. As the roster stands right now, I tend to agree with that. But production out of Lambo, a trade for a guy like Carp, and/or Taillon and Polanco coming up and contributing the way many scouts/fans/the Pirates seem to believe they can could really push that number in the right direction.

It will be an interesting year, though, either way, especially to see how Cole and Marte move forward, in particular, and to see if Pedro's playoff performance last year will jettison him into a breakout season.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol...your aberration of a season was last year. Back to the doldrums for the Pierats

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably regress some from last year but McCutchen is already in mid-season form.

Can't wait to see Palanco make his major league debut at some point in June if all goes well.