• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's ahead for the 2014 Pittsburgh pirates and will they take a step further?

DieHardForever397

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Morneau,Jones, and Byrd departing how much will this affect the pirates come the start of next season or will it not hurt at all? Also here's an article previewing the pirates upcoming 2014 season, what do you expect? Tell me if you agree with the article. It's by David schoenfield
MLB Why the Pirates are likely to decline in 2014 - ESPN

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they can replace those three without too much trouble, although I think Morneau still has something left. Where did he go?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they can replace those three without too much trouble, although I think Morneau still has something left. Where did he go?

Colorado, to replace Helton.

FreddyS4MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can honestly care less that both Morneau and Garrett Jones is off the team. Morneau was on a hot streak before the Pirates traded for him and once that happened he absolutely did awful. Now, Marlon Byrd on the other hand I wanted the Pirates to keep him bad, even if they would of been payed a little too much. He was a valuable asset to the team. On the bright side as long as minor league CF Gregory Polanco does well enough to warrant a call up he'll be placed in RF and hopefully he'll do well. The offensive has to improve a lot for me to think that they will make the playoffs.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can honestly care less that both Morneau and Garrett Jones is off the team. Morneau was on a hot streak before the Pirates traded for him and once that happened he absolutely did awful. Now, Marlon Byrd on the other hand I wanted the Pirates to keep him bad, even if they would of been payed a little too much. He was a valuable asset to the team. On the bright side as long as minor league CF Gregory Polanco does well enough to warrant a call up he'll be placed in RF and hopefully he'll do well. The offensive has to improve a lot for me to think that they will make the playoffs.

I remember you from ESPN.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Byrd plays like he did last year, then I agree that he's a tough loss. I just have a hard time believing that he's suddenly for real.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Polanco, marte, and McCutchen would make a great defensive OF... The only question is will the pirates have enough power to win the games where small ball is not enough...

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can honestly care less that both Morneau and Garrett Jones is off the team..

If you can care less, that means you do care some.... I think you meant: 'you cannot care less' - which means you already do not care at all...

Wait! Who called the grammar police!

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can care less, that means you do care some.... I think you meant: 'you cannot care less' - which means you already do not care at all...

Irregardless of your comments, I agree. :rollseyes:

FreddyS4MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember you from ESPN.

I just miss those old message boards that were worth posting on, the last version they had before the shutdown had to be the worst message boards I have ever posted on. It just wasn't the same to me after most of the regulars left, or the fact that the people who posted a lot in the past posted less and less, because the boards were not as appealing as before. Sure, we had our fair share of trolls and all of that good stuff, but you can't beat the golden years on that board. It is like they ruined the boards on purpose to eventually have a reason to shut it down permanently. But, yeah I hardly posted on the new boards and it has been a while since I even bothered checking that site. Just like a week ago I found out that the ESPN message boards had been shut down. Which boards did you post? Your name doesn't sound familiar, but you could be under a different name.

If Byrd plays like he did last year, then I agree that he's a tough loss. I just have a hard time believing that he's suddenly for real.

I think the Pirates should have tried harder to retain him. It's not like the Pirates are making any major moves whatsoever. They could have taken a risk. It just makes me sick they are barely doing anything in the offseason to improve their team. A.J. Burnett's status is up in the air, but they did sign Edison Volquez, but I'm not too optimistic. The Pirates have brought in A.J. Burnett and Liriano, and they both have had success so hopefully the pirates pitching coach can lead Volquez to a decent year, because they are going to need him, or someone else to step up.

Polanco, marte, and McCutchen would make a great defensive OF... The only question is will the pirates have enough power to win the games where small ball is not enough...

That would be an incredible defensive outfield, but I'm not too sure if Polanco will get a call-up other than September. Polanco has been beyond stellar since coming to the Pirates organization. Jose Tabata doesn't look like he's ever going to be the answer, I have been disappointed with him ever since the Pirates acquired him. I really thought he was going to be a decent outfielder once he matured.

Let me just say it is indifferent to me whether either are on the team. I cannot stand to see Garrett Jones' swing and misses all the time its just an ugly sight. His home runs are nice to see but he needs to hit way more for me to think its worth it. Garrett Jones was beloved by a lot of the fans here in Pittsburgh. What he did for the city will never be forgotten, so I do thank him in that capacity. Now, Morneau was just a short-term answer which didn't work out and his play was just atrocious and I don't want to see him back in Pittsburgh.

P.S. give me a break! I was posting very early in the morning on no sleep! I realize I made some errors, but it should of been bearable enough to read! Plus I was posting from my iPhone!

Irregardless of your comments, I agree. :rollseyes:

Hey, I will not be a poor sport, and I will agree... But you only get one!

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Getting on base was the Pirates weakness, they finished fairly high in ISO (3rd) and HR's (4th) in the NL.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freddy - Just a little grammar humor, which is thankfully pretty rare around here. I just couldn't resist Steveringo's post. :suds:

FreddyS4MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freddy - Just a little grammar humor, which is thankfully pretty rare around here. I just couldn't resist Steveringo's post. :suds:

I usually don't knock anybody's grammar or spelling, because I understand not everyone is brought up and raised the same. Not everyone has the same level of education. Plus, English isn't everyone's first language, so I don't expect everyone to be perfect. I speak English, but I do have decent knowledge of the Spanish language. I can also speak some French and understand it, but its by far my weakest language.

Steveringo is definitely a character that personifies the importance of being a grammar police. We got to have one somewhere on these boards! I am more critical towards people's spelling than their grammar. Especially if the word isn't too difficult its just a pet peeve of mine. It doesn't bug me to see people misuse there and their or too and to. I see the easiest words being misspelled and I don't understand. I do agree that it is rare to see anyone have a good sense of humor anymore when it comes down to little things. I mean we are posting on message boards, might as well have some fun with it.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just miss those old message boards that were worth posting on, the last version they had before the shutdown had to be the worst message boards I have ever posted on. It just wasn't the same to me after most of the regulars left, or the fact that the people who posted a lot in the past posted less and less, because the boards were not as appealing as before. Sure, we had our fair share of trolls and all of that good stuff, but you can't beat the golden years on that board. It is like they ruined the boards on purpose to eventually have a reason to shut it down permanently. But, yeah I hardly posted on the new boards and it has been a while since I even bothered checking that site. Just like a week ago I found out that the ESPN message boards had been shut down. Which boards did you post? Your name doesn't sound familiar, but you could be under a different name.

I think the Pirates should have tried harder to retain him. It's not like the Pirates are making any major moves whatsoever. They could have taken a risk. It just makes me sick they are barely doing anything in the offseason to improve their team. A.J. Burnett's status is up in the air, but they did sign Edison Volquez, but I'm not too optimistic. The Pirates have brought in A.J. Burnett and Liriano, and they both have had success so hopefully the pirates pitching coach can lead Volquez to a decent year, because they are going to need him, or someone else to step up.

That would be an incredible defensive outfield, but I'm not too sure if Polanco will get a call-up other than September. Polanco has been beyond stellar since coming to the Pirates organization. Jose Tabata doesn't look like he's ever going to be the answer, I have been disappointed with him ever since the Pirates acquired him. I really thought he was going to be a decent outfielder once he matured.

Let me just say it is indifferent to me whether either are on the team. I cannot stand to see Garrett Jones' swing and misses all the time its just an ugly sight. His home runs are nice to see but he needs to hit way more for me to think its worth it. Garrett Jones was beloved by a lot of the fans here in Pittsburgh. What he did for the city will never be forgotten, so I do thank him in that capacity. Now, Morneau was just a short-term answer which didn't work out and his play was just atrocious and I don't want to see him back in Pittsburgh.

P.S. give me a break! I was posting very early in the morning on no sleep! I realize I made some errors, but it should of been bearable enough to read! Plus I was posting from my iPhone!

Hey, I will not be a poor sport, and I will agree... But you only get one!

I used to post under evanREDSOXnave.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't recall? Just kidding haha. How have you been man? By the way, what ever happened to bosox?

I've been good. I still miss the old MLB boards, but SportsHoopla's a cool site. At least there's still some familiar usernames on here as well.

He's here.

FreddyS4MVP

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been good. I still miss the old MLB boards, but SportsHoopla's a cool site. At least there's still some familiar usernames on here as well.

He's here.

"FreddyS4MVP, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Log Out Home"

When I clicked the hyperlink you gave me that's what popped up. Anyways, I miss the old MLB boards to as you known. There are familiar names here, but I've never talked to a lot or them, if at all.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"FreddyS4MVP, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Log Out Home"

When I clicked the hyperlink you gave me that's what popped up. Anyways, I miss the old MLB boards to as you known. There are familiar names here, but I've never talked to a lot or them, if at all.

Weird, the link just takes me to his page. He posts under "soxfan1468927."