• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What program does the most with the least / least with most?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine. But you at least have the guts to write who should be up there, TE seems to only put who does the least with the most, but of course can't admit that his team only has had two good years, based on his criteria of 12+ win seasons, in 15 years despite having top 5 recruiting nearly half the time.

Once again, I've stated Texas is an underachiever if we're starting at 2010, prior to that, Texas was competing for the BCS title and Big 12 title on a consistent basis. Ok, MSU has had 2 good years since 2010, but do 2 good years automatically put MSU as doing more with less? Plus, MSU only has Michigan to compete with in state for recruits, so in reality, MSU should be much more successful than just 2 good years out of the last 25, especially since the school claims 6 NC's; and really, Texas's problem has been coaching since 2010 and it looks like the school has taken the right steps to fix that problem. Hey, I like Dantonio, he's a natural born Texan and can coach some defense. But to answer your question, I don't think there is a program out there who's "doing more with less" on a consistent basis. For fuck's sake, somebody mentioned Duke's fluke season implying that Duke is doing more with less just b/c they didn't finish last in the ACC for a change. Again, KU went 12-1 and won a BCS bowl back in '07; I sure as hell wouldn't suggest KU is "doing more with less".

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt put MSU on this list, because it is kind of insulting. MSU has a solid history that stretches decades. When a think less with more, I think of no tradition, marginal facilities, and poor access to recruits. That isnt MSU. They are just a solid program hitting their stride. If the win a title, it wont be there first. Less with more would be Kansas State.

Many people consider Michigan State to be a second or third tier program, myself included. Our last national title was almost 40 years ago now and was around the time that some of our players parents were born. I have accepted that after we have a less than impressive season this year, that everyone will put us back at 4th or 5th in our division, just like most were predicting for us last season. Texas has been a top tier football program for decades and will continue to do so for decades. Hopefully your new head coach will stop pushing away heisman quarterbacks or telling them they need to be a defensive back.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many people consider Michigan State to be a second or third tier program, myself included. Our last national title was almost 40 years ago now and was around the time that some of our players parents were born. I have accepted that after we have a less than impressive season this year, that everyone will put us back at 4th or 5th in our division, just like most were predicting for us last season. Texas has been a top tier football program for decades and will continue to do so for decades. Hopefully your new head coach will stop pushing away heisman quarterbacks or telling them they need to be a defensive back.

GMAFB, the only coach in the entire country who wanted RGIII to play QB and not DB was Art Briles, it wasn't just Mack Brown. Regarding Manziel, he was an ass hair away from signing a schollie with UT-San Antonio after decommitting from Oregon before Sherman offered him a schollie at the last minute. JF was a 3 star recruit coming out of high school who wasn't recruited heavily. I like how people forget that Mack Brown also recruited 2 QBs who were Heisman finalists, both led the school to play for the BCS title and one helped Texas win the BCS title.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree. I think more like that 2nd/3rd tier. Biggest issue has been taking a back seat to Michigan and OSU. I dont think it is a shocker that MSU's greatest season in the last 20 years has happened as Michigan is teying to remove its head from its ass and OSU had NCAA issues a couple years ago. Those cracks left an opening, it will be interesting to see if MSU can hold on to those gains

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, I've stated Texas is an underachiever if we're starting at 2010, prior to that, Texas was competing for the BCS title and Big 12 title on a consistent basis. Ok, MSU has had 2 good years since 2010, but do 2 good years automatically put MSU as doing more with less? Plus, MSU only has Michigan to compete with in state for recruits, so in reality, MSU should be much more successful than just 2 good years out of the last 25, especially since the school claims 6 NC's; and really, Texas's problem has been coaching since 2010 and it looks like the school has taken the right steps to fix that problem. Hey, I like Dantonio, he's a natural born Texan and can coach some defense. But to answer your question, I don't think there is a program out there who's "doing more with less" on a consistent basis. For fuck's sake, somebody mentioned Duke's fluke season implying that Duke is doing more with less just b/c they didn't finish last in the ACC for a change. Again, KU went 12-1 and won a BCS bowl back in '07; I sure as hell wouldn't suggest KU is "doing more with less".

Yes, and Michigan is what, 10th when it comes to talent in state. And who does Texas have to compete with. Pretty much anyone they want, they can get in state. That is what Michigan has over Michigan State. Very few MSU players had offers. And we have Ohio State just south of the border taking what little talent is left after Michigan is done. Notre Dame taking what they leave behind. You have no one in state to compete against and one school out of state to compete with (Oklahoma) in the richest talent pool in the world and can only manage one national title in 30 years in a two team conference. I guess Oregon State is an underachieving team since they only have one team to compete with in their state, by your standards.:L And for fucks sake, we are a basketball school.

Again, please since this is the third time I have asked you, and you still can't sack up ONE SINGLE TEAM to list, who are your most with the least.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GMAFB, the only coach in the entire country who wanted RGIII to play QB and not DB was Art Briles, it wasn't just Mack Brown. Regarding Manziel, he was an ass hair away from signing a schollie with UT-San Antonio after decommitting from Oregon before Sherman offered him a schollie at the last minute. JF was a 3 star recruit coming out of high school who wasn't recruited heavily. I like how people forget that Mack Brown also recruited 2 QBs who were Heisman finalists, both led the school to play for the BCS title and one helped Texas win the BCS title.

So Mack Brown was taking his highly rated quarterbacks and pulling in mediocre seasons means that he was "coaching them up"? Again if they bar is only having 1 loss seasons, Texas is a mediocre program by the bar you are setting. Because Michigan State's two 11 win season are being marginalized, so should Texas's 10 and 11 win seasons in the the early 2000's.

And Rapist Winston?

Last edited by a moderator:

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I am more sold on Boise State now, but I am not that sold on TCU. TCU was one of the top mid-major recruiting classes and above many major conference teams quite often.

Boise State

2002 Recruiting Class - 74th (13th among mid majors)
2003 Recruiting Class - 100th (30th among mid majors)
2004 Recruiting Class - 99th (15th among mid majors)
2005 Recruiting Class - 64th (5th among mid majors)
2006 Recruiting Class - 70th (9th among mid majors)
2007 Recruiting Class - 68th (6th among mid majors)
2008 Recruiting Class - 89th (24th among mid majors)
2009 Recruiting Class - 72nd (12th among mid majors)

And those eight recruiting classes that you mentioned won 2 BCS bowl games and had several top 5 and top 10 finishes. Pretty much all two and three stars with a few unrankeds sprinkled in there for good measure.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And those eight recruiting classes that you mentioned won 2 BCS bowl games and had several top 5 and top 10 finishes. Pretty much all two and three stars with a few unrankeds sprinkled in there for good measure.

To me, it's not what they did vs the top programs, BCS appearances, or top 5-10 finishes. If they consistently had one of the top 5 recruiting classes among midmajors and had around #40-50 in recruiting overall, I would expect them to dominate midmajors and get good rankings.

But they really didn't have good recruiting among midmajors, so, I will put them among the top for doing most with least. I compare them to midmajors because around 90% of their wins were vs midmajors.

brin3535

moose twit!
Hoopla Cash
$ 955.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh so now you love Mack Brown, eh? Fuckin' faggot, I hate you.

brin3535

moose twit!
Hoopla Cash
$ 955.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, it's not what they did vs the top programs, BCS appearances, or top 5-10 finishes. If they consistently had one of the top 5 recruiting classes among midmajors and had around #40-50 in recruiting overall, I would expect them to dominate midmajors and get good rankings.

But they really didn't have good recruiting among midmajors, so, I will put them among the top for doing most with least. I compare them to midmajors because around 90% of their wins were vs midmajors.

You forgot to mention Iowa in this post. You're slipping, jerms.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There may or may not be a poster in this thread who should have his screen name changed to Homerism Hyperbole. :whistle:
Highly entertaining.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with disagreeing, all I ask is for you to bring facts instead of biases. Use facts to prove Texas is the most underachieving program in college football that trumps the facts I just showed. If you can't or don't care to, then I will shut up and realize you aren't trying to have a real discussion. I've got no problem with a little trolling of a rival. It thats what this is, than cool.

read the entire damn thread. There is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said.

You don't want to have a real discussion or you would read what has been said and realize WHY people say it.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, and Michigan is what, 10th when it comes to talent in state. And who does Texas have to compete with. Pretty much anyone they want, they can get in state. That is what Michigan has over Michigan State. Very few MSU players had offers. And we have Ohio State just south of the border taking what little talent is left after Michigan is done. Notre Dame taking what they leave behind. You have no one in state to compete against and one school out of state to compete with (Oklahoma) in the richest talent pool in the world and can only manage one national title in 30 years in a two team conference. I guess Oregon State is an underachieving team since they only have one team to compete with in their state, by your standards.:L And for fucks sake, we are a basketball school.

Again, please since this is the third time I have asked you, and you still can't sack up ONE SINGLE TEAM to list, who are your most with the least.

Did you just really ask who Texas has to compete with for recruits? Try 5 major FBS programs to start with and the entire SEC conference. Aggy is killing it in recruiting right now, which they should. Texas definitely gets its share, but it sure as hell isn't as easy as you think. John Mackovic used to have an arrogant attitude about how top Texas recruits should WANT to come to UT & did not get aggressive about it, the way Mack did. Hence the reason RC Slocum always had better recruiting classes while at A&M.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you just really ask who Texas has to compete with for recruits? Try 5 major FBS programs to start with and the entire SEC conference. Aggy is killing it in recruiting right now, which they should. Texas definitely gets its share, but it sure as hell isn't as easy as you think. John Mackovic used to have an arrogant attitude about how top Texas recruits should WANT to come to UT & did not get aggressive about it, the way Mack did. Hence the reason RC Slocum always had better recruiting classes while at A&M.

You consider Texas Tech, Baylor and TCU as major programs? Texas gets whoever they want. They get top 5 recruiting classes and have trouble finishing in the top 25. For every recruit out of the state of Michigan there are nearly 7 recruits in the state of Texas. So when we are competing against 3 other MAJOR programs with 1/7 the size of talent pool, we should be top 10 every year and winning conference titles every other year, right? If you are counting TTU, BU, and TCU, I guess I should be counting Purdue and Cincinnati.

Aggy is killing it because, in recent years, Texas can't hack it.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
Most with the least (and I'll probably get shit for this) Boise State.

The least with the most (and I'll probably get shit for this as well) LSU

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
Most with the least (and I'll probably get shit for this) Boise State.

The least with the most (and I'll probably get shit for this as well) LSU

LSU, two national titles in the last eleven seasons and an appearance in the NCG three years ago after dominating the regular season. Wow. Interesting choice.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You consider Texas Tech, Baylor and TCU as major programs? Texas gets whoever they want. They get top 5 recruiting classes and have trouble finishing in the top 25. For every recruit out of the state of Michigan there are nearly 7 recruits in the state of Texas. So when we are competing against 3 other MAJOR programs with 1/7 the size of talent pool, we should be top 10 every year and winning conference titles every other year, right? If you are counting TTU, BU, and TCU, I guess I should be counting Purdue and Cincinnati.

Aggy is killing it because, in recent years, Texas can't hack it.

Lot of truth in that. Mack's demise weighed on recruiting the last few years. There have been a lot of questions about the program the last few year. I do believe things are changing, but it takes time. 6 months and 0 games in is not enough to see any evidence. Texas is like the state of FLorida, every major program recruits it to some extent. Even MSU recruits Texas. People forget about SEC, especially LSU. There are a lot of Katrina transplants in Houston and the surrounding areas that have more ties to SEC schools than Texas schools. A strong Texas can fend that off pretty well, but you are seeing what happens when they slip.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of truth in that. Mack's demise weighed on recruiting the last few years. There have been a lot of questions about the program the last few year. I do believe things are changing, but it takes time. 6 months and 0 games in is not enough to see any evidence. Texas is like the state of FLorida, every major program recruits it to some extent. Even MSU recruits Texas. People forget about SEC, especially LSU. There are a lot of Katrina transplants in Houston and the surrounding areas that have more ties to SEC schools than Texas schools. A strong Texas can fend that off pretty well, but you are seeing what happens when they slip.

We may recruit Texas, but we aren't pulling anything from there. Of the 22 recruits in the 2014 class, none lived Texas, 3 had Ohio State offers, 2 of those had Michigan offers. Nick Foles was the last recruit we got out of Texas and that was 2007 and he did not play a single down for us. Transferred after his freshman year. According to Rivals, since 2002 he is the only recruit out of Texas to choose Michigan State

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We may recruit Texas, but we aren't pulling anything from there. Of the 22 recruits in the 2014 class, none lived Texas, 3 had Ohio State offers, 2 of those had Michigan offers. Nick Foles was the last recruit we got out of Texas and that was 2007 and he did not play a single down for us. Transferred after his freshman year. According to Rivals, since 2002 he is the only recruit out of Texas to choose Michigan State

I have seen several offers from MSU to Texas kids. The pt wasnt that MSU is pulling kids from Texas, but that pretty much everyone recruits Texas. There are so many kids here, a lot is simple population, that it behooves schools to send guys down here and to establish relationships with coaches. So it is not as simple as saying Texas gets to pick and choose. There is a lot of competition in TExas for recruits. Unlike some other states it is not just for national recruits. 3 star kids have offers from all over.