• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What is your Criteria for MVP

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had a vote, I'd vote CP3.
For MVP yes, but only in your split world where there's an MOP too. Maybe that's Curry this year, or Embiid. Do injuries count against the MOP?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For MVP yes, but only in your split world where there's an MOP too. Maybe that's Curry this year, or Embiid. Do injuries count against the MOP?

Even in the non-split world, I'd vote CP3.

Curry would be the leader in the clubhouse for MOP.

Injuries would count, but not as much as they do for MVP.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even in the non-split world, I'd vote CP3.

Curry would be the leader in the clubhouse for MOP.

Injuries would count, but not as much as they do for MVP.

Is he the most valuable player?

I don’t think it is his play as much as his leadership.

He almost deserves coach of the year more than MVP.

His play is good. But he isn’t an MVP level player anymore.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he the most valuable player?

I don’t think it is his play as much as his leadership.

He almost deserves coach of the year more than MVP.

His play is good. But he isn’t an MVP level player anymore.

There is a lot more to value than play.

His numbers are pretty much in line with what he's done his entire career. The Suns have gone from 10th in West last year to 2nd in the West and may well end up with the best record in the league. CP3 is the difference.

The Suns likely would have finished higher than 10th in the West this year just off of the natural improvement of a young team. But CP3 has them looking like contenders.

Imo, leadership is just about as important for the MVP as play.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The value one brings to the ability of his team to win. A player on a last place team cannot be MVP

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expectations vs results

Julius Randle
MVP

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His numbers are pretty much in line with what he's done his entire career. The Suns have gone from 10th in West last year to 2nd in the West and may well end up with the best record in the league. CP3 is the difference.

The Suns likely would have finished higher than 10th in the West this year just off of the natural improvement of a young team. But CP3 has them looking like contenders.

Yes, I agree with you.

However, since the Bill Russell days, that has never been what the award is about.

Much harder to quantify leadership. You see a guy posting 30/10/8 on a really good team and the value is more obvious.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The value one brings to the ability of his team to win. A player on a last place team cannot be MVP
With you completely here.

Willing to add a player on a non playoff team cannot be MVP. That players value being subtracted is irrelevant. Therefore, so is the value.

Most impact on a team with a fighting chance for a title when the regular season ends is all I’d look at.

First, second, sixth, just need a seed and a chance.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I agree with you.

However, since the Bill Russell days, that has never been what the award is about.

Much harder to quantify leadership. You see a guy posting 30/10/8 on a really good team and the value is more obvious.

Well, it's my imaginary vote and I'm using it on CP3.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

By these criteria wouldn't LeBron edge him out? He's better statistically, and really, where would the Lakers be without him (as we are seeeing)?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By these criteria wouldn't LeBron edge him out? He's better statistically, and really, where would the Lakers be without him (as we are seeeing)?

Imo, Lebron would be out of it for this year because of games missed. Plus, AD has been out as well. While the Lakers would be better with Lebron and no AD, they would be better with AD and no Lebron than they are without both of them. Imo, if you removed CP3 from the Suns, they are, at best, fighting to stay out of a play in game instead of fighting for the #1 seed.

But yeah, by that criteria, Lebron could arguably be the MVP virtually every year. Which would be fine with me. If a guy is the MVP, he's the MVP, I don't care how many times he may have won it before.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jokic is going to be the MVP. I don't think there is much question about that.

But I would say the big difference between them is that Embiid is an elite defender at a position where defense is critical where as Jokic is a sub-par defender at that same position. So as players, I think Embiid is the more impactful. But he misses too many games.
at this point I probably agree.

Id rather have Embiid for one game or a season. I think he is the better player. He does it on both ends instead of just on offense like Jokic- but 18 is a lot of games to miss.

If he just missed 12 id say it would be close

but with resting the rest of the way he could miss 20 and in a shortened season thats probably too many to get him there.

Jokic is only good on offense though which i do think hurts him to a certain extent.

and Curry? ive seen turnstiles play better defense- esp. at this point in his career.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My vote would go to Jokic or Embiid

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As great as Curry has been his team is .500. Lebron didn’t win MVP when his team was winning 50+ games while playing on worse teams. I don’t get the hype of giving a player a MVP for barely getting his team in the playoffs. If so, Lebron would have 10 MVP’s.

Jokic or Embiid but I’m giving it to Embiid as of right now, they struggle a ton when he isn’t on the floor. When he is, best record in the NBA. If he doesn’t win it, I don’t know what to say

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As great as Curry has been his team is .500. Lebron didn’t win MVP when his team was winning 50+ games while playing on worse teams. I don’t get the hype of giving a player a MVP for barely getting his team in the playoffs. If so, Lebron would have 10 MVP’s.

Jokic or Embiid but I’m giving it to Embiid as of right now, they struggle a ton when he isn’t on the floor. When he is, best record in the NBA. If he doesn’t win it, I don’t know what to say

What do you think the Nuggets record without Jokic would be? WC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> EC. Jokic plays in the much tougher conference. He has been dependable all season long. Embiid hasn't, he's missed 18 games.

"if he doesn't win it, I don't know what to say"

I know what to say. If Jokic wins it the right player will get POY.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think the Nuggets record without Jokic would be? WC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> EC. Jokic plays in the much tougher conference. He has been dependable all season long. Embiid hasn't, he's missed 18 games.

"if he doesn't win it, I don't know what to say"

I know what to say. If Jokic wins it the right player will get POY.

To properly contextualize those 18 games Embiid has missed.....

LeBron has also missed 18 games. He was the front runner before he got injured and now he isn’t even mentioned as a serious contender.

So why is Embiid still in the running with 18 games missed?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LeBron has also missed 18 games. He was the front runner before he got injured and now he isn’t even mentioned as a serious contender.

Not sure why Embiid is still in the running. In just about any other year if an MVP candidate missed that many games they would be outta the running for the award.

The only thing I can think of that's keeping him in the race is the year the 76ers are having. But like I said WC > EC. Here's the difference between the two.

WC

2 teams playing .700 ball. 2 teams playing .600 ball. 6 teams playing .500 ball.

EC

No teams playing .700 ball. 3 teams playing .600. And 4 teams playing .500 ball.

So as of right now that's 10 teams in WC playing at .500 or better. And only 7 teams in the EC playing at .500.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He’s not going to win because of those 18 games but he’s getting mentioned because he’s been the most dominant two way player in the league this year.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Paul has really gotten in the conversation