• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What I think should be done for expansion

Big Z 1990

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, it's been 6 years since the Sonics left Seattle for OKC. And a new arena is coming soon to Seattle. So I think soon the Sonics will return.

At the same time, the NBA would want to have a second expansion team join, so that the NBA can continue to have all of its teams play on the final day of the regular season like it has since 2005 to give all playoff teams equal preparation time for the playoffs.

As for who should get #32, well, based on the geographic distribution of the current 30, I think Vancouver should get that team. Yes I realize the Grizzlies failed there, but now several precautions can be taken to prevent a repeat of that - the most important being that the new Vancouver team be community-owned, like the NFL's Green Bay Packers.

So, both Seattle and Vancouver would join the Northwest Division. This would allow Minnesota to move to the Central Division (and the Eastern Conference), and Oklahoma City to move to the NBA's toughest division, the Southwest Division.

Having geographic balance in the league is very important. Especially given the new schedule format I proposed.

All 32 teams would play every non-division foe, even those in the same conference, twice each (home and road) every year. For members of the 5-team divisions, that's 54 games. For members of the 6-team divisions, that's 52 games.

The remainder of each team's schedule is played within the division -

members of the 5-team divisions play 28 division games (7 against each team), and
members of the 6-team divisions play 30 division games (6 against each team).

This new schedule format would foster regional rivalries and reduce travel costs. Overall, I think it's the perfect solution. All divisions would now only span between 1-2 time zones, which was what the NHL aimed for in its realignment last season.

Tell me your thoughts on how expansion should be handled.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My vote would be Seattle and Kansas City if they had to expand.

I think most fans would want contraction, though. As long as it wasn't their team, of couse

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you've clearly put some thought into it. Your proposition looks like it would workfor an expansion.

But first.... why expand? What are the reasons to expand? I imagine many NBA fans would be against it. I think you'd find more fans that would support contraction than would support expansion.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see expansion happening for at least another decade if ever.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you've clearly put some thought into it. Your proposition looks like it would workfor an expansion.

But first.... why expand? What are the reasons to expand? I imagine many NBA fans would be against it. I think you'd find more fans that would support contraction than would support expansion.
The argument for expansion would simply be looking at how deep the West is right now. There is plenty of talent in the league.

The argument against expansion would be the Miami Heat making 4 Finals in a row because they made a Big 3

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The argument for expansion would simply be looking at how deep the West is right now. There is plenty of talent in the league.

The argument against expansion would be the Miami Heat making 4 Finals in a row because they made a Big 3

Makes sense.

I guess, from a money side, NBA franchises everywhere are only going up in value and the sports is doing very well right now.

An appealing side of expansion to fans would be a smaller percentage of teams that make the playoffs.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vancouver getting a team over Nashville? Not even.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is interesting about the Miami Heat is that 'super teams' grow the league which create expansion. There would likely be a lockout before an expansion because the owners are going to want protection against losing their best players in increasingly restrictive fashion.

Nashville? Over Kansas City? No chance.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is interesting about the Miami Heat is that 'super teams' grow the league which create expansion. There would likely be a lockout before an expansion because the owners are going to want protection against losing their best players in increasingly restrictive fashion.

Kansas City couldn't even keep the Kings. You can see all KC has to offer in 15 minutes, and it's not much.

Desean12345

#What is Hashtag?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No need for expansion. Too many crappy teams and not enough NBA quality players.

Big Z 1990

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Nashville gets a team because Tennessee isn't that populous a state to support two NBA teams. Nashville roots for the Grizzlies just as much they do the Preds and Titans.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not sure how an NBA team would fare in Nashville but I do know that the Predators draw good crowds, even when they haven't been in playoff contention. So it would be possible that a franchise could thrive there.

However, I believe that a couple teams relocating to different cities has a better chance of happening than 2 additional teams being added to the league.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas City couldn't even keep the Kings. You can see all KC has to offer in 15 minutes, and it's not much.
I'm a STL person and not a KC person but they have a huge basketball following around there because of the Big 8 basketball teams (notably KU)

Tennessee already has Memphis and thats more of a basketball culture than Branson, Tennessee

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would expect contraction over expansion. The NBA this past season had less average attendance as a league than MLS. There are far too many teams that struggle to attract fans to attend games for there to be a need to add more teams. The NBA as a whole is really watered down.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would expect contraction over expansion. The NBA this past season had less average attendance as a league than MLS. There are far too many teams that struggle to attract fans to attend games for there to be a need to add more teams. The NBA as a whole is really watered down.

I wish

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Nashville gets a team because Tennessee isn't that populous a state to support two NBA teams. Nashville roots for the Grizzlies just as much they do the Preds and Titans.

There are well over 1,000,000 people in the greater Nashville area and trust me, Nashville does NOT support the Grizzlies like they do the Titans and Preds. NBA or MLB would be standing room only every game.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I absolutely agree with this. I think the NBA would be much healthier by contracting the Hornets or Pelicans. Both are jokes anyway.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle

Is the only market in U.S. that probably should have an NBA team that doesn't right now.

Born and raised in TN, great places to visit there. Nashville is not the country bumpkin of a town that it used to be, but it's not 3 pro sport team town imo. And no...Memphis and Nashville, in spite of only being separated by roughly 2.5 to 3 hours drive time, they do not support each other's pro sports teams much...the only reason the Titans get any support from Memphis is the team came to the city on the bluff 1st.

I agree with contraction over expansion...New Orleans is not a great NBA city...Charlotte...still growing...great basketball in that state but college BB will always be king.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem the NBA has is that people are going to watch the games on TV and not pay to see them in person. The NFL would have the same problem if people weren't so obsessed with football and tailgating.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem the NBA has is that people are going to watch the games on TV and not pay to see them in person. The NFL would have the same problem if people weren't so obsessed with football and tailgating.

The reason people are not going to NBA games is because the product the NBA puts forth is not worth paying to see. The league is too diluted & the game has changed so much to it's own detriment, that it only appeals to a certain demographic. It no longer has a broader appeal to fans. When you have the same few teams recycled in the finals & a third of the league tanking almost every single season, you have a problem. And to add to that, the NBA has lost it's market share in the USA & only is thriving in the oversees markets.

Last edited by a moderator: