• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Gaming Consoles Did You Grow Up With?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems as though a lot of people value their nostalgia with the increasing popularity of indie titles. I'm a young guy so most of the consoles and games I played as a kid are relatively new, I'm sure there are a couple of you out there who have been gaming for considerably longer, in order of oldest to newest my personal list goes:

1. Sega Genesis (wasn't old enough to play games correctly yet but I had a ton of fun) - Anything with Sonic
2. N64 (probably my favorite console of all time, spent many afternoons after school playing with friends) - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, too many to list.
3. Gameboy Color/Advance (played constantly) - Anything with Pokemon
4. Gamecube (yes, i chose this instead of xbox, didn't regret it one bit) - Resident Evil 4, Paper Mario, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Animal Crossing
5. Xbox 360 (had to send it in for repairs multiple times but it had the best selection of games during the last generation) - Gears of War, Halo Reach, Fallout 3 and New Vegas

What consoles and games do you have fond memories of?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got an NES when I was 3 or 4. I stuck with all the Nintendo systems till the Gamecube came out (didn't like it). Then I converted to the Xbox and have stayed with Microsoft ever since.

Trevler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first system was called the Telstar Arcade. That thing was great for a kid in the 1970's.
I later got an Atari 2600 and a little latter a Colecovision. I bought an NES but never played it much. I lost interest in video games after that until I had kids. We now own a Wii, Wii U, XBox One and a recently purchased GameCube. The Wii U is my favorite console that we currently own.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atari when I was a wee little one and Nintendo when I was a teenager....

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I spent hours playing Super Mario.....8-9 hours straight sometimes when I wasn't in school. That was almost as addictive as sports to me.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Intellivision. Yea, I'm kinda old.

934175intellivision1.jpg

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had a Commodore 64 after my brother and I broke the Atari and after the C64 was nothing until Sega Genesis. Mom never got us an OG Nintendo because everyone else had one so we got to play almost as much as if we had one. Honestly, I really liked the C64 because there were 1000s of bootleg games my Dad got off of a guy he worked with at the Power plant. My brother and I would dig through the game list for months and always find new games we hadn't played before on those old floppy discs that were actually floppy. There were some really fucked up games for that C64 that were so weird, it scared me.
dsc02573.jpg

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting gaming Age Of Empires 2 on PC. PS3 was first official console although I moved to XBOX360 because of friends but we've moved to PS4 for the next gen.

Since I am making decent money I'll grab a Xbox1 because I'm a Halo fan boy (more campaign then online).

Shit AoE is still playable and fun as shit!

Owned a PSP but the only fun game on it was Madden 06. The spin move was so OP it was ridiculous lol.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting gaming Age Of Empires 2 on PC. PS3 was first official console although I moved to XBOX360 because of friends but we've moved to PS4 for the next gen.

Since I am making decent money I'll grab a Xbox1 because I'm a Halo fan boy (more campaign then online).

Shit AoE is still playable and fun as shit!

Owned a PSP but the only fun game on it was Madden 06. The spin move was so OP it was ridiculous lol.

I had a 360 but I sold it years ago, been rolling with PC ever since and haven't looked back. I had a PSP too, got it for a birthday present and had it stolen by a family member within a week. Good times.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only console we owned when I was a kid was the Atari 5200.
It was fairly powerful system for the time, but never really caught on and the titles available for it were fairly limited. It had innovative controllers with a 360 degree joystick, but they were not durable and we had to buy new ones all the time. The stupid fire buttons were the big problem, they would quickly get to a point where only I knew where and how hard to press them and my friends couldn't even use them. We also bought a track ball for it, mostly to play Centipede (or Millipede?), but it was also a piece of crap and the ball would constantly get big streaks of grease on it from inside.
My favorite games for it were Miner 2049er, Space Dungeon, Countermeasure (tank game), Defender, and some game where you flew a helicopter or plane through a cave and blew stuff up (there was also an arcade version). My dad gave it to a coworker when I was in college, even though I told him the controllers we had were totally shot and it would be useless without new ones that might be hard to find...he said it was OK, the guy had really little kids and he thought they'd just like to see all the colors and hear the sound effects.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None. The Pong game in post #11 didn't become commercially available til I was around 10 years old.

We played street hockey, pond hockey, schoolyard football and baseball and a little basketball.

SilverFalco8

TXOD BX 507
Hoopla Cash
$ 87.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEGA GENESIS with CD

Nintendo 64

Nintendo Gamecube

Xbox

Dads PS2

Xbox 360

PS4 (Got tired of Microsoft's BS so I made the switch, plus liked the console only releases better on PS4 especially MLB the Show)

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Used to love going to my grandparents house because my uncle had left his atari 2600 (I think) there when he went to college. Space invaders was awesome, but playing for free at home instead of $.25 a play was the greatest thing ever.

My parents had an Apple IIe, and we had 10-15 games for that, on those actual floppy disks somebody mentioned.

When I was 9, my brother was 6, and our youngest brother was 3 we pooled all of our birthday, first communion, allowance, and every penny we had 3 very gotten our hands on and bought a NES with super Mario, duck hunt and a gun, and this big foldable pad that looked like twister and was for a track and field game. I played the hell out of Tecmo Bowl and Tecmo Super Bowl, but player Mike Tysons Punch Out twice as much. But I must have played 4 hours of the original Final Fantasy for every hour I played any of those games.

Got a super NES when that came out several years later. At some point got a Sega Genesis just to play altered beast. My parents were both teachers, and both hippies. They loved to just pack everything into a big full size conversion van, tow a camper on the back and just drive across the country for a month or two every summer. So we got a ton of use out of the original Gameboy. Thing was the size of 3 DVD cases, had about 2 hours of battery life, was only black and white, and could produce about 4 different tones of beep. God did I play a lot of Tetris on that thing.

Got a brand new Playstation right before I went to college, which I took with me. I was all about the Final Fantasy Tactics, but there was about 30-40 other great RPG's for that system that I loved to play. Including my favorite game to this day, Brigandine The Legend of Forsena. Unfortunately my 3 roommates my freshman year all smoked pot nearly all day long. While playing Goldeneye on the Nintendo 64 and never leaving to go anywhere. Until they got too high to function, then they would play Mario Kart 64, but only "Rainbow Road" they loved the pretty colors. I got an hour or two at a time to play my ps one maybe twice a month that whole year. But I got really, REALLY good at Goldeneye and Mario Kart.

Only got Xbox of the next generation. Didn't get ps2 until ps3 was already getting old. It felt like a made a gigantic mistake for a long, long time. Then KoToR came out and made everything all better.

Never got an Xbox 360 or ps 3. Just skipped a generation. Did go back and buy a really cheap GameCube just to play a couple Fire Emblem games. I just like turn based strategy, and they don't make many these days.

Bought a ps4 on launch day. I was newly divorced and annoyed that I had mostly given up gaming for that botch. I maybe played 20 hours on the stupid thing until Destiny came out, and quit that game before the first expansion came out.

Have played more hours on PC than all the systems combined at this point though. I remember when you could only access a game called Runescape on a domain called Fred's Friends. I was the 3rd person from the US to play the game (after my brother and his best friend) and all 3 of us were within the first 200 people to ever play. I see now that it's like the most played online game ever.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Intellivision. Yea, I'm kinda old.

934175intellivision1.jpg
My buddy and I would play the football game every night.............had 2 pretty much unstoppable plays.............I think they were 9-1-4-2 and 9-1-3-2 or some shit like that...............good times.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My buddy and I would play the football game every night.............had 2 pretty much unstoppable plays.............I think they were 9-1-4-2 and 9-1-3-2 or some shit like that...............good times.

Football was great. And it was as good as that football game you saw at the arcade. It was that table with the ball controller. A big favorite in my house was Tron.

But there was a game that I played that without question affected my life to this day.

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. That game planted the seed that had me playing MMO's (as soon as they were invented) I think it was about 1988 I was playing The Kindom of Drakkar. One of the first MMO's ever. It was a dial up and it was I think 2 bucks an hour to play.

Soon to follow after that EQ1, SWG, EQ2, EVE online.