• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What exactly do you guys want college football's postseason to look like?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA has nothing to do with it unless they take control of the playoff, which they haven't done yet. The other conferences could damn sure exclude ND if they wish. Hell, look how the BCS excluded a lot of teams.

:L

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 team playoff. Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12, SEC and ACC conference champs are in, along with 3 at-large teams.

Not a bad idea, but here would be some potential complaints:

2012 Wisconsin at 8-5, 2011 Clemson at 10-3, 2005 Florida State at 8-4, and 2001 LSU at 9-3. Giving automatic playoff spots for the major conference champions means a 3 to 5 loss team COULD get into the playoffs. It doesn't happen often, but it could happen.

Do you think the mid-majors would demand that at least 1 of their conference champions gets an automatic spot in the playoffs?

What is going to happen if a 6th major conference emerges? Do we have to expand the playoffs?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 team playoff is fine by me just have the semis played 2 wks after the conference title games. waiting over a month to play the semis is fucking stupid imo

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2012 Wisconsin at 8-5, 2011 Clemson at 10-3, 2005 Florida State at 8-4, and 2001 LSU at 9-3. Giving automatic playoff spots for the major conference champions means a 3 to 5 loss team COULD get into the playoffs. It doesn't happen often, but it could happen.

Do you think the mid-majors would demand that at least 1 of their conference champions gets an automatic spot in the playoffs?

What is going to happen if a 6th major conference emerges? Do we have to expand the playoffs?

I don't have a problem w/that b/c you will rarely have a 3 + loss conference champ, & if there is, so be it. This system has worked just fine in the NFL. One thing for sure, you have to add more teams to the playoffs.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, the big 5 needs to break away. Form their own division again.

5 champions, 3 at large.

You can keep the old bowl system for the non 8 playoff teams.
Notre dame, gotta join a conference or they are not part of the playoff but eligible for old bowl system. If it's good enough for their Olympic sports they can do it with football.

Now that you have just the 5 supers, it needs to be split evenly. The prolly means adding a few programs to round the number at 70. That's 14 per conference and they follow an equal format.

The 5 winners and 3 at large fight it out for national champ.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 team playoff is fine by me just have the semis played 2 wks after the conference title games. waiting over a month to play the semis is fucking stupid imo

Check out my earlier post in this thread under Choice 2...

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

THis is one reason I prefer an expanded playoff with conference winners getting home games. You reward conference champions, but you allow for teams to erase any fluke results. Additionally unbalanced schedules have the potential for wide degrees of in conference SOS that could skew results.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't believe that a mid-major Champ should be auto'ed into the playoffs, unless it goes to 16 games. One could make the argument that an undefeated(or with a good or better record as the 5 auto's) mid-major CC with a Top 10 SOS would be one of the at-large picks.

A 6th major conference will not emerge unless a major conference splits into 2 conferences. I don't see that happening. So, no on the last two questions.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like it was before this travesty thrust upon us except have a plus one if there are multiple undefeated teams.

If 4 than two games. If 3 the #1 gets a bye and winners of 2-3 play 1.

If there aren't multiple just play 1 v 2

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why we can't keep the current bowl system and they have an four team playoff between the winners of the Rose, Orange, Tostito and Sugar Bowl. There is no way university presidents are going to go for something like the playoff system in the lower levels of small college football.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since it is the truth about how the BCS excluded some teams and gave special exemptions to ND what makes you think the tables couldn't be turned. Especially if the SEC and a couple other conferences have a huge say in the rules...ND needs to be in conference completely.

The BCS only excluded only the "non-BCS conferences", and even at that some teams from non-BCS conferences have still been able to play in BCS bowls.

Also, whether anyone likes it or not, Notre Dame is an entity unto themselves and will never be excluded from any playoff whether they are in a conference or not. Their fanbase is far too large, travels too well and has too much money.

Notre Dame is the only school that can still have major influence on what happens in college football even when their team in not relevant.

Not sure I agree about them having to be in a conference. They do very well outside of a conference. I don't see where them not being in a conference has hurt them and it's not like they don't have to earn their way to a BCS bowl or the playoff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why we can't keep the current bowl system and they have an four team playoff between the winners of the Rose, Orange, Tostito and Sugar Bowl. There is no way university presidents are going to go for something like the playoff system in the lower levels of small college football.

That said the Big 12 and SEC agreed to Champion Bowl or whatever the hell they will call it and decided to run it themselves. So there is evidence out there that conferences are not completely satisfied with the bowl system.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That said the Big 12 and SEC agreed to Champion Bowl or whatever the hell they will call it and decided to run it themselves. So there is evidence out there that conferences are not completely satisfied with the bowl system.

That maybe true to an extent, but university presidents are worried about revenue loss if the current bowl system is scrapped for a playoff system.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That maybe true to an extent, but university presidents are worried about revenue loss if the current bowl system is scrapped for a playoff system.
-
What they are worried about is the NCAA getting involved and taking a cut. I have a suspicion that most Presidents realize a playoff would bring in more money, but why mess with a good thing and take the risk the NCAA would get involved.