• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Comic Series, If Any, Are You Currently Reading?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Batman: The Black Mirror: 4/5 stars. Not Snyder's best Batman work, as I don't like Dick nearly as much as I like Bruce, but James was genuinely creepy. About to start Preacher Volume 3 now.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Batman: The Black Mirror: 4/5 stars. Not Snyder's best Batman work, as I don't like Dick nearly as much as I like Bruce, but James was genuinely creepy. About to start Preacher Volume 3 now.

Is that rebirth or New 52 book?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, my bad. The collected volume came out in 2015, but the single comics debuted in 2011-ish I think.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone read The Wake? A couple of years ago, I read the first (or so) collected edition, and did not like it- yet everyone loves it. I'm wondering if I should give it another chance

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Ironman is now a black chick?

Super lame and unoriginal.

Create new characters please.
I actually don't have an issue with it. Its more of a passing of the torch deal like Batman Beyond I'm guessing. A black girl main character in a white male dominated hobby is also a good thing. Most racial harmony these days is between white women and black men while white men and black women pretty much live on different planets.

I also think Robert Downey Jr ruined it for every other white guy. He will always be that iron man and casting someone to replace him would likely fail.

My .02 as a comic outsider.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually don't have an issue with it. Its more of a passing of the torch deal like Batman Beyond I'm guessing. A black girl main character in a white male dominated hobby is also a good thing. Most racial harmony these days is between white women and black men while white men and black women pretty much live on different planets.

I also think Robert Downey Jr ruined it for every other white guy. He will always be that iron man and casting someone to replace him would likely fail.

I've never been a fan of random diversity for diversity's sake.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let me add to it.

These characters, Miles Morales, Female Thor, Riri Williams are way too FORCED simply for being diverse.

Changing characters with hundreds of years of combined background story just for the sake of being PC. It's nonsense.

You want to see how to properly integrate a character? Look at Falcon. That's how you raise a character up.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me add to it.

These characters, Miles Morales, Female Thor, Riri Williams are way too FORCED simply for being diverse.

Changing characters with hundreds of years of combined background story just for the sake of being PC. It's nonsense.

You want to see how to properly integrate a character? Look at Falcon. That's how you raise a character up.
My .02 is that people should write what they know. Obviously with comics and fantasy in general you get to make up whatever you want but truly great writing comes from personal experience. If they want Iron Man to be a black female than they should consider finding a black female to write the comics.*

It is being PC but it can and should be done in my opinion. IRL, my gaming/geek friends have always been diverse. Would I like creative new heroes? Of course but thats not how marketing works. DC and Marvel are in the business of doing 'safe' things that make billions of dollars. Diversity is 'safe' in today's day and age as long as you're still upholding the same ideals. If they really wanted to make money they would've made Iron Man asian because robotics is huge in Japan but at the end of the day its still written by people and not wallets.

*Just googled the topic and found that the writer has adopted two black girls, one african and one african-american. The writing itself almost sounds like a proxy for his own parenthood. I wouldn't immediately dismiss it as an issue.

To me, Marvel has proven they can make money with anything as long as there is quality behind the product with Deadpool movies and Guardians of the Galaxy both doing very well at the movies and Ant-Man somehow becoming relevant again. So they can promote whatever they want as long as the ideals and production values are up to par.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My .02 is that people should write what they know. Obviously with comics and fantasy in general you get to make up whatever you want but truly great writing comes from personal experience. If they want Iron Man to be a black female than they should consider finding a black female to write the comics.*

It is being PC but it can and should be done in my opinion. IRL, my gaming/geek friends have always been diverse. Would I like creative new heroes? Of course but thats not how marketing works. DC and Marvel are in the business of doing 'safe' things that make billions of dollars. Diversity is 'safe' in today's day and age as long as you're still upholding the same ideals. If they really wanted to make money they would've made Iron Man asian because robotics is huge in Japan but at the end of the day its still written by people and not wallets.

*Just googled the topic and found that the writer has adopted two black girls, one african and one african-american. The writing itself almost sounds like a proxy for his own parenthood. I wouldn't immediately dismiss it as an issue.

To me, Marvel has proven they can make money with anything as long as there is quality behind the product with Deadpool movies and Guardians of the Galaxy both doing very well at the movies and Ant-Man somehow becoming relevant again. So they can promote whatever they want as long as the ideals and production values are up to par.

I'm not getting it. Just like I won't get Thor.

Hell if I wasn't such a shameless Superman fan I wouldn't even bother buying Rebirth stuff since it's such a ridiculous trainwreck.

Again, Falcon worked. Dick Grayson worked. You bring them along. That's good writing. You're telling me they couldn't write good stories about the actual Thor, Spider-man or Iron Man?

And I disagree that you need to be a black woman to write this new iron man. That's borderline racist. Imagine swapping those 2 situations around it was a black writer trying to write the REAL iron man and you said something similar....

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished Locke & Key. Just awesome! Anybody else read it?
I did. I really liked the way it started but felt it lost its was as it went on. I did continue liking it enough to finish it.
No. Is it like Y: The Last Man (my favorite series)?
Mine too. Easily the best comic I have read.
Has anyone read The Wake? A couple of years ago, I read the first (or so) collected edition, and did not like it- yet everyone loves it. I'm wondering if I should give it another chance
I liked it, nothing great but good.

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that Snyder's graphic novel?

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How bout Fear Agent? Any fans?