• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What browser do you use?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been using firefox mostly, but that going to change. Opened up my browser today and my bookmarks and speed dials don't show, also it been taken for ever to connect to a URL. I'm guessing some kind of update gone wrong. Going to try some others for a bit, right now using Pale Moon, it's a firefox browser, but a bit different.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tried a new one today, it was a built in browser for Bodhi Linux. Different is all I can say. Mostly I use Maxthon or Opera, though I still have Firefox and of course IE which works best for some Microsoft stuff...

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, Firefox 29 moved everything as far as bookmarks and stuff. Click on the star next to the Chrome like menu to access bookmarks. Not sure about speed dial as I thought that was only in Opera, though the new tab function of Firefox looks the same to me.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Firefox is up to 29 now? :L I have zero interest in that soap opera.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, Firefox 29 moved everything as far as bookmarks and stuff. Click on the star next to the Chrome like menu to access bookmarks. Not sure about speed dial as I thought that was only in Opera, though the new tab function of Firefox looks the same to me.

They did, seems like they were trying to copy chrome look, but I added back every thing I wanted thru add on. Was working fine until today. Did not make any changes for the few weeks so I still going with a buggy update.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chrome for most of the sites I view. It presents flash content for these pro guitar tab websites I use to learn songs the best. IE would choke on 30% of them and not want to load in full screen mode. Drove me nuts. Chrome. No problem.

The only thing I weary about is keeping my gmail and youtube, etc...accounts auto logged in on Chrome. Google is a fine company, but the amount of personal information they collect on you and use to target you with ads and content is staggering.

People can rag Microsoft all they want, but honestly, they're privacy policies are light years better than Google when it comes to collecting personal information about you online.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chrome for most of the sites I view. It presents flash content for these pro guitar tab websites I use to learn songs the best. IE would choke on 30% of them and not want to load in full screen mode. Drove me nuts. Chrome. No problem.

The only thing I weary about is keeping my gmail and youtube, etc...accounts auto logged in on Chrome. Google is a fine company, but the amount of personal information they collect on you and use to target you with ads and content is staggering.

People can rag Microsoft all they want, but honestly, they're privacy policies are light years better than Google when it comes to collecting personal information about you online.

Chrome works well, but I avoid it, because like you said, they love collecting your info and against that as a policy.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Try the Ghostery add on, it'll stop a lot of that.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought IE was only for downloading other browsers? :noidea:

I kid of course...I hafta use it for my work, but would rather roll around in broken glass with Magic Johnson, than use it to actually search the web.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I kid of course...I hafta use it for my work, but would rather roll around in broken glass with Magic Johnson, than use it to actually search the web.

IE 11 is the most secure browser according to tests, it still lacks in a lot of other areas though. And add on toolbars are the bane of IE, they cause more problems with IE than they are worth. I tell people not to install any toolbars in IE, learn to use the built in features instead as a lot of those toolbars do more damage than good.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harold, if you upgraded to 29 some add-ons may not work even after installing them again. Try this add-on to force Firefox to allow you to use any add-on you want. Be advised it may lead to security issues on some sites.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/checkcompatibility/?src=ss

I think I'm done with firefox for now. The upgrade to 29 happened a while ago, I then went with a bunch of add ons that restored the old look and feel. These add ons worked for a few weeks. Time to try some other or others browsers once again. That is kind of fun any way.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'm done with firefox for now. The upgrade to 29 happened a while ago, I then went with a bunch of add ons that restored the old look and feel. These add ons worked for a few weeks. Time to try some other or others browsers once again. That is kind of fun any way.

I never did get the status bar add on to work without reconfiguring at each start up of Firefox, finally just said fuck it and moved on. I don't get why Firefox took out the status bar, I want it in any browser I use.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Downloading a new browser is step one. I actually use IE just for checking my bank account after step one. It is OK for that.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chrome for me. Have it on all of my systems and on my phone. Just don't sign up for the gmail tracking garbage and use a different search engine than google. It's lightweight, super fast at loading pages, typically more stable for me than FF and IE and it's so fast and easy to setup on user computers. I can have it up in seconds, activate the ad and popup blockers, and send them on their way.

IE? They have messed that thing up so badly. Only use it on sites with active X. I'm sick to death of having to add a dozen things to 'compatibility mode' every damn time they come out with a higher version.

Opera? It's ok. I don't have anything against it. Just Chrome is so fast and easy to setup.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a site needs compatibility mode with IE it's probably not an up to date site to start with. And you'd be surprised how many government and banking sites still use IE 6 for their standard. The whole point of compatibility mode is to get sites up to the newer standards at which IE handles quite well, especially HTML 5.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I know those sites are not updating their stuff, but when you support upward of 20-30 people who use it and end up having to fix their browser every time they update you can't help but blame them as well for not implementing a better system for dealing with older sites. Just read the metadata and auto set it. Not that complicated.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used Firefox for years....but it got all buggy and after several attempts to uninstall/reinstall I switched over to Chrome and haven't looked back.