• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Western Conference Finals: OKC Thunder VS Golden State Warriors

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A quick view at the stats so far and the two areas that Golden St has the advantage on is Blocks + Steals and Interior FG% so I think when you are talking about the Warriors winning, the +/- to look out for is easy buckets. Warriors have given up a lot fewer easy buckets than the Thunder. Its the issue Barkley has always had with OKC - they need ways to get easy buckets.
For OKC to have any chance Westbrook and KD has to out perform Curry and Thompson because GS is deeper and their role players will score more. I just don't see that happening for OKC. Maybe 1 or 2 games but that is it.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think KD at the 4 would be a nightmare for him with Dray guarding him.

IMO, KD is one of the worst matchups for Draymond. He's too quick, and too long. KD is even tough for Iguodala to guard because of his length. The best thing the Warriors can do is force the ball out of his hands and try to make Westbrook into a high volume shooter.

Iguodala guards Lebron far better than KD because Iguodala's defense is based on body positioning and quick hands. He's also really strong and can't be really bullied. But KD presents a different challenge because he can simply shoot over guys.

Not saying Draymond and Iguodala can't get it done, but just saying the best course of action would be to not rely on a single person to guard him straight up.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For OKC to have any chance Westbrook and KD has to out perform Curry and Thompson because GS is deeper and their role players will score more. I just don't see that happening for OKC. Maybe 1 or 2 games but that is it.

Agree. I honestly don't think they can do it (at least not enough to win the series). I don't think they play off of one another as well as Curry and Thompson. There are too many times when KD or Westbrook (usually Westbrook) tries too much iso/hero ball.

Reactions: LAD

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, KD is one of the worst matchups for Draymond. He's too quick, and too long. KD is even tough for Iguodala to guard because of his length. The best thing the Warriors can do is force the ball out of his hands and try to make Westbrook into a high volume shooter.

Iguodala guards Lebron far better than KD because Iguodala's defense is based on body positioning and quick hands. He's also really strong and can't be really bullied. But KD presents a different challenge because he can simply shoot over guys.

Not saying Draymond and Iguodala can't get it done, but just saying the best course of action would be to not rely on a single person to guard him straight up.
I disagree in this regard:

True KD has a length advantage over Dray-but that is usually the case when Dray is guarding PFs so nothing new for him. The problem for KD is his ball handling skills and the fact that he's not as effective shooting his jumper with a guy on him defending like Dray does. Not saying Dray will completely shut him down but he should be able to slow him down and that's all anyone can really ask.

If anything I think they should double RW which will force the others to step up-because KD can't beat them alone.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, which is why I say GS in 6.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we're talking about straight offensive numbers, they can outplay them. If it is overall performance/level of play then yeah it would be tough for this to happen.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree in this regard:

True KD has a length advantage over Dray-but that is usually the case when Dray is guarding PFs so nothing new for him. The problem for KD is his ball handling skills and the fact that he's not as effective shooting his jumper with a guy on him defending like Dray does. Not saying Dray will completely shut him down but he should be able to slow him down and that's all anyone can really ask.

If anything I think they should double RW which will force the others to step up-because KD can't beat them alone.

The difference I see in Dray guarding PF's is that none of them possess the perimeter skills and all world shooting ability of KD. There's a huge difference between guarding Blake Griffin and KD. Even KAT gave Draymond real problems and he doesn't have the ball handling skills that KD has, nor is he as great of a shooter yet as KD.

I think Draymond would find a way to give KD a challenge, but still think KD is one of, if not the worst matchup for Draymond in the NBA.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be a great series....

I knew OKC would make it a series after game 1 vs SA....I just can't believe how many people were writing off the Thunder.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about OKC is that Westbrook/Durant are usually good enough to win 2 games without much help. The question is can their supporting cast help them in winning another 2?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Thunder, IMO, are at their WORST when Russ is trying to be the primary scorer. It's at the Warriors advantage to try to make Westbrook attempt to take over games and make KD a backseat passenger. Klay has been probably one of the tougher defenders on Westbrook historically. Here were Westbrook's numbers against him this year:

8-22, 27 pts, 3 TO's
10-29, 26 pts, 7 TO's
8-24, 22 pts, 2 To's.
Overall FG 34.6%

Conversely here are KD's stats:

12-25, 40 pts, 5 TO's.
13-26, 37 pts, 5 TO's.
11-17, 32 pts, 9 TO's.
Overall FG 52.9%

While KD's TO rate is significantly higher, his field goal percentage is still above miles above Westbrook's. Doubling Westbrook, IMO would be a terrible idea. Doubling KD, would be optimal.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference I see in Dray guarding PF's is that none of them possess the perimeter skills and all world shooting ability of KD. There's a huge difference between guarding Blake Griffin and KD. Even KAT gave Draymond real problems and he doesn't have the ball handling skills that KD has, nor is he as great of a shooter yet as KD.

I think Draymond would find a way to give KD a challenge, but still think KD is one of, if not the worst matchup for Draymond in the NBA.

When I said I thought Durant would play at the 4 more than previous series -- I was mainly thinking of how OKC could slow down the Curry/Green pick&roll when they are alone on 1 side of the court. (especially on right side of court) That is really tough to guard because the big guy has to come out on Curry -- and the guard has the tough switch on Green. (or is a step behind him on the roll) And help is too far away.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Thunder, IMO, are at their WORST when Russ is trying to be the primary scorer. It's at the Warriors advantage to try to make Westbrook attempt to take over games and make KD a backseat passenger. Klay has been probably one of the tougher defenders on Westbrook historically. Here were Westbrook's numbers against him this year:

8-22, 27 pts, 3 TO's
10-29, 26 pts, 7 TO's
8-24, 22 pts, 2 To's.
Overall FG 34.6%

Conversely here are KD's stats:

12-25, 40 pts, 5 TO's.
13-26, 37 pts, 5 TO's.
11-17, 32 pts, 9 TO's.
Overall FG 52.9%

While KD's TO rate is significantly higher, his field goal percentage is still above miles above Westbrook's. Doubling Westbrook, IMO would be a terrible idea. Doubling KD, would be optimal.
I think doubling KD is the wrong move because if he's the only scorer he can't beat GS by himself. Some things you have to live with and his scoring is probably one of those things. But, RW is waaaaay more aggressive than KD which is why I think RW is the one they want to double. But we'll see how it all plays out. Will be fun to watch.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is this series not starting until Monday..... yet the Cavs Raptors would start Sunday if the Raptors win tonight? :scratch:

Should've started this series tomorrow. No games tomorrow. :sigh:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is this series not starting until Monday..... yet the Cavs Raptors would start Sunday if the Raptors win tonight? :scratch:

Do something with your Saturday.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh stop it Gordon. We can ask the same question about why the first round was changed from the Cavs starting first to the Warriors starting first. The Cavs have gotten more rest this post season than any of the other teams.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh stop it Gordon. We can ask the same question about why the first round was changed from the Cavs starting first to the Warriors starting first. The Cavs have gotten more rest this post season than any of the other teams.

@gordontrue point just went over your head

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I honestly wasn't trying to infer anything about rest or anything. I'm actually eager for the Cavs to start playing.

It was more about being excited to see this series get going and being confused about why the delay.