• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Western Conference Final - Colorado Avalanche vs. Edmonton Oilers

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't see either of these teams winning the Cup with questionable goaltending. Vasilevshiy or Shesterkin will be the difference.

The two best goalies remaining in the playoffs are in the Eastern Conference final, there is no doubt about that. Over a short series though, if a goalie gets hot, a team can ride him to success.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avs have the speed to compete long term in a track meet with the Oil. Flames got suckered into trying to out chance the Oil and lost all their structure especially defensively.

I am curious to see if Avs will be now running their backup for the rest of the series. I know Kemper went out when they had a lead last night but still strange for a conference final. This could be the highest scoring conference finals we have had since the 80s

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can see why there is a debate on this one now. I still say offside as in the spirit of the play he has full control here .. but again I see why they did on side

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am curious to see if Avs will be now running their backup for the rest of the series. I know Kemper went out when they had a lead last night but still strange for a conference final. This could be the highest scoring conference finals we have had since the 80s
Keumper apparently exited with an upper body injury is what they called it. He may sit out 1 game(maybe 2) but I think he’ll be back by game 4(even if his play warrants him to be benched the remainder of the series).

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keumper apparently exited with an upper body injury is what they called it. He may sit out 1 game(maybe 2) but I think he’ll be back by game 4(even if his play warrants him to be benched the remainder of the series).
He took two pucks off the face and asked to be taken out. If it's a concussion, he could be gone a while.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is an excerpt from the 2021 NHL Rulebook Video that illustrates the exact play with Makar and Nichuskin last night. The rule is a little weird but they clearly got the call right, it was on side and a good goal.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Walker didn't agree with the call, so that seals it for me that the right call was made.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screenshot 2022-06-01 143748.png

sure looks like he is touching there....

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, if Mike Smith could make a big save in game 1, this is all a moot point.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
amazing (or fluke) that the linesman got it right in real time.

I would argue that we should do away with replay with the exception of determining if a puck entered the goal. The last two controversial calls in these playoffs were called correctly by the on-ice officials with the first one being overturned after several minutes that seemed to be looking for a way to overturn the on-ice call. The thing is slow-motion has a way of distorting what happened at actual game speed.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would argue that we should do away with replay with the exception of determining if a puck entered the goal. The last two controversial calls in these playoffs were called correctly by the on-ice officials with the first one being overturned after several minutes that seemed to be looking for a way to overturn the on-ice call. The thing is slow-motion has a way of distorting what happened at actual game speed.
OK but if we didn't review this everybody would've thought it was fucking crazy that we didn't review this no?

I'm fine with replay. Just do it faster. The second a goal is scored have the ops room review it so if the refs make a call they can give an answer quickly.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK but if we didn't review this everybody would've thought it was fucking crazy that we didn't review this no?

I'm fine with replay. Just do it faster. The second a goal is scored have the ops room review it so if the refs make a call they can give an answer quickly.

My point is calls are missed or the wrong call is made numerous times during a game. Referees miss penalties or make bogus call yet none of those are reviewed and overturned (except for high sticks or to determine if a major should be called or not). More often than not the right call is made regarding offside and if a potential kick-in goes to review, there's no guarantee that the review room is going to get it right. If replay can't get it right, then I'd rather not even bother with plays being reviewed.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is calls are missed or the wrong call is made numerous times during a game. Referees miss penalties or make bogus call yet none of those are reviewed and overturned (except for high sticks or to determine if a major should be called or not). More often than not the right call is made regarding offside and if a potential kick-in goes to review, there's no guarantee that the review room is going to get it right. If replay can't get it right, then I'd rather not even bother with plays being reviewed.
I'm always in favour of more review, I just always believe there's a faster way to do it than most sports currently employ.

I also believe all officiating should be done by video and referees should only be on the playing surface to transmit calls and keep the peace.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm always in favour of more review, I just always believe there's a faster way to do it than most sports currently employ.

I also believe all officiating should be done by video and referees should only be on the playing surface to transmit calls and keep the peace.

I guess I should say that I would have no problem with video review if I knew there were competent people performing the review. There also doesn't seem to be any consequences when these people botch the review. I also know video review isn't going to go away, it's just frustrating when they don't get it right.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O/U is at 7.5