• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

well...

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'll advise to put your $ on the cards. Did the bengs get a new OL? No

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Funny the difference a week makes. I went from thinking the Bengals would be picking top 5 to thinking they have as good a shot as anyone at the division.

Burrow looked 100 percent healthy, he even ran for a first down without a limp. I thought this injury might linger the entire season

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny the difference a week makes. I went from thinking the Bengals would be picking top 5 to thinking they have as good a shot as anyone at the division.

Burrow looked 100 percent healthy, he even ran for a first down without a limp. I thought this injury might linger the entire season
The thing that told me he was back was his pocket movement when he got sacked. That huddle, turn, jump and then getting sacked....that takes a ton of balance and strength to do all those consecutively. That play right there told me...he might just be back, but how much is he just trying to prove to people he can still start right now and he isn't really healthy? So the other scramble rollout, and then the two QB runs told me, he isn't just pretending right now damaging himself more, he is literally getting healthier now. Also, that throw to Chase for the long TD required him to really dig in and push off his back foot to get that enough distance.

I am more encouraged now. Glad he didn't get ruined getting to this point though.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last TD drive looked like vintage Burrow. Several scrambles for yards, and a 1st down. Moving in the pocket. Threaded the needle on a couple of throws....and did all 3 of those things on the TD pass...was able to roll to his right to avoid pressure, threaded the needle to Chase for the TD.

For all Burrow does well, he excels when he's able to move around in the pocket. The OL hasn't helped, but when teams know your QB can't move...it makes it really tough. I though overall, not just best week from Burrow, but thought overall on offense the X's and O's were much better. A lot of different routes, hitting the middle allowed for those out-routes to get open more - and they stuck with getting balls over the middle. Still a few things (blitz routes are still too long in developing - need more safety valve options). As much as I harp on Taylor, I thought this was one of his better called games.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cards suck worse than the Bengals.

so do the Bears, and Broncos, and some other teams I'm not sure about.
we're certainly not on par with the leagues elite teams for sure.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Tee's an awesome number 2 but watching the offense operate with Chase and a relatively healthy Burrow you can see they can't afford to give any other WR the 20 million/year Tee probably gets if he hits open market.

I'd tag and trade him if possible unless he wants to be here on a very team-friendly deal

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tee's an awesome number 2 but watching the offense operate with Chase and a relatively healthy Burrow you can see they can't afford to give any other WR the 20 million/year Tee probably gets if he hits open market.

I'd tag and trade him if possible unless he wants to be here on a very team-friendly deal

Tee and Boyd are gone next year. Charlie Jones is here to replace Boyd. Io needs to step up, or we will spend a draft pick on Tee's replacement. I think next year the Bengals will go light on free agency.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. And I think yesterday highlights the major differences between Tee and Chase. With Chase, he can beat you in a lot of different ways - Even when the D is focused on his every move. They did a good job scheming different routes for him and capitalizing on the short game to let him run a little. Then he popped the big one. Chase could be a problem every week if the coaches use him correctly.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really amazing how much different this team looks when Burrow is healthy and in rhythm. He was up to all of his usual tricks yesterday and was in complete control of the offense. I wouldn't say he was as sharp as he can be as he still misssed on a few passes, but this is definitely the guy we're used to seeing.

The D had some great moments yesterday, but they also benefited from some curious coaching decisions from the Cardinals. Throwing over the middle with your backs to the goalline was an interesting decision. The 4th down run with Josh Dobbs was also a weird decision and effectively ended the game after the Bengals went on a long drive. It looks like Battle replaced Scott. I wonder if this is going to be permanent. There are a lot of missed assignments on crossing routes and I wonder if Nick Scott is getting the blame for some of this. I've also noticed that our back-up ends don't do as good of job setting the edge. Ossai was definitely guilty of letting a guy get out yesterday for a big gain. This unit will be tested by Seattle and SF - Both teams can run it and have weapons that can beat you in a variety of ways. Lou needs to keep working.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really amazing how much different this team looks when Burrow is healthy and in rhythm. He was up to all of his usual tricks yesterday and was in complete control of the offense. I wouldn't say he was as sharp as he can be as he still misssed on a few passes, but this is definitely the guy we're used to seeing.

The D had some great moments yesterday, but they also benefited from some curious coaching decisions from the Cardinals. Throwing over the middle with your backs to the goalline was an interesting decision. The 4th down run with Josh Dobbs was also a weird decision and effectively ended the game after the Bengals went on a long drive. It looks like Battle replaced Scott. I wonder if this is going to be permanent. There are a lot of missed assignments on crossing routes and I wonder if Nick Scott is getting the blame for some of this. I've also noticed that our back-up ends don't do as good of job setting the edge. Ossai was definitely guilty of letting a guy get out yesterday for a big gain. This unit will be tested by Seattle and SF - Both teams can run it and have weapons that can beat you in a variety of ways. Lou needs to keep working.
Scott came back after Battle was out for the 1st defensive drive of the 2nd half. Then Scott replaced him. Maybe just trying to work guys in and out. Not a bad idea.

Some of the edge stuff is also due to younger DB's and Safeties. No more Apple. No more Bates. No more Bell. I agree that the edge guys lose contain too often for my liking, but what helped cover a lot of that over the last 2+ years was the experience of the DB's.

The one thing that I'm noticing more - a lot of missed tackles. Guys are willing to hit, but they aren't tackling. Gotta get that back in order. I couldn't care less about hitting a guy - doesn't mean a thing if he doesn't go to the ground.

I think the youth of the DB's is also evident on the crossing routes, as you pointed out. I had mentioned this against the Rams. When they went trips, or had middle crossing routes - guys are getting lost. Need to really polish that up in practice and in the film room. They have to start knowing that when guys go in motion who has whom...

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott came back after Battle was out for the 1st defensive drive of the 2nd half. Then Scott replaced him. Maybe just trying to work guys in and out. Not a bad idea.

Some of the edge stuff is also due to younger DB's and Safeties. No more Apple. No more Bates. No more Bell. I agree that the edge guys lose contain too often for my liking, but what helped cover a lot of that over the last 2+ years was the experience of the DB's.

The one thing that I'm noticing more - a lot of missed tackles. Guys are willing to hit, but they aren't tackling. Gotta get that back in order. I couldn't care less about hitting a guy - doesn't mean a thing if he doesn't go to the ground.

I think the youth of the DB's is also evident on the crossing routes, as you pointed out. I had mentioned this against the Rams. When they went trips, or had middle crossing routes - guys are getting lost. Need to really polish that up in practice and in the film room. They have to start knowing that when guys go in motion who has whom...
The good news with the DBs is that they all seem to have talent and they all seem to have good futures in the league. Hill has definitely flashed a lot this year and I think he'll keep getting better with experience. Turner's speed is evident on the TV. He did some nice things. He was also out of position here and there. I think that's par for the course for your first year so it's hard to criticize him. He definitely looks like he belongs though. CTB still messes up here and there but he is a super physical guy that plays with tons of passion. I'm not sure he is a CB1, but if he is CB2 you are likely in good shape. Battle seemed to do a few nice things yesterday as well.... I guess he's a little more physically limited than the others, but he looks like a good pick.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last TD drive looked like vintage Burrow. Several scrambles for yards, and a 1st down. Moving in the pocket. Threaded the needle on a couple of throws....and did all 3 of those things on the TD pass...was able to roll to his right to avoid pressure, threaded the needle to Chase for the TD.

For all Burrow does well, he excels when he's able to move around in the pocket. The OL hasn't helped, but when teams know your QB can't move...it makes it really tough. I though overall, not just best week from Burrow, but thought overall on offense the X's and O's were much better. A lot of different routes, hitting the middle allowed for those out-routes to get open more - and they stuck with getting balls over the middle. Still a few things (blitz routes are still too long in developing - need more safety valve options). As much as I harp on Taylor, I thought this was one of his better called games.
I watched part of the game last night with SF and Dallas. I saw a stat how much motion they put in their offense, and the other top motion teams in the NFL...Miami, SF and Philly were in the top 5, and 3 of the top 5 offenses as well. The way we moved Chase around really made the offense look like a different animal. It opens him up so much more, and he is electric with the ball in his hands.

Need to keep creative and put defenses on their heels. Having a healthy Burrow will do that as well.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good news with the DBs is that they all seem to have talent and they all seem to have good futures in the league. Hill has definitely flashed a lot this year and I think he'll keep getting better with experience. Turner's speed is evident on the TV. He did some nice things. He was also out of position here and there. I think that's par for the course for your first year so it's hard to criticize him. He definitely looks like he belongs though. CTB still messes up here and there but he is a super physical guy that plays with tons of passion. I'm not sure he is a CB1, but if he is CB2 you are likely in good shape. Battle seemed to do a few nice things yesterday as well.... I guess he's a little more physically limited than the others, but he looks like a good pick.
Agreed. Talent is there. Just need more experience...so you live with some growing pains. Just didn't help that Burrow couldn't be himself for the first quarter of the season to help on the offensive side...

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched part of the game last night with SF and Dallas. I saw a stat how much motion they put in their offense, and the other top motion teams in the NFL...Miami, SF and Philly were in the top 5, and 3 of the top 5 offenses as well. The way we moved Chase around really made the offense look like a different animal. It opens him up so much more, and he is electric with the ball in his hands.

Need to keep creative and put defenses on their heels. Having a healthy Burrow will do that as well.
I have a man-crush on the Miami offense. I think it's one of the most innovative in the NFL. WR's are all over the field. The run to the middle, outs, digs, fly...out of every spot and each WR lines up everywhere.

Taylor's big fault, IMO, is that he has an approach and doesn't want to veer from "his" preferred approach. Chase plays "here". Higgins plays "here". We run out of "this" set, etc..etc...and, it will work on many days because Burrow, Chase, Higgins and at times Mixon are that good that it looks like it is really a good scheme. In reality, IMO, it is buoyed by several all NFL talents and a defense that, typically, allows the offense the time and drives it needs to put up points. Even last year during the long stretch of wins...offense would stagnate way too often. Too many 3-outs and inability to help flip the field battle relying on the defense to hold the water in the dam until the offense could get clicking.

Yesterday was a really good step in the right direction for getting a bit more creative. But, we've seen this in the past - and then Taylor reverts back to what he prefers...the real next step in the evolution of this team is Taylor continuing to look in the mirror and realize that the NFL has caught on to his scheme, and now he needs to adapt (like every team). That is, IMO, the biggest factor on whether this offense can truly reach its ceiling. Burrow, Chase, and Higgins will continue to do great things...but I fear there will always be a lack of consistency as long as Taylor continues to stubbornly continue pushing square pegs into round holes because that's "his" preferred approach.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. And I think yesterday highlights the major differences between Tee and Chase. With Chase, he can beat you in a lot of different ways - Even when the D is focused on his every move. They did a good job scheming different routes for him and capitalizing on the short game to let him run a little. Then he popped the big one. Chase could be a problem every week if the coaches use him correctly.
he is a freakishly built athlete. how in the world we have days where he doesnt' contribute is beyond my comprehension.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saw this today from the presser and remembered the post:

DC Lou Anarumo on Nick Scott and rookie Jordan Battle: “Keep rotating those guys. See how it plays out. I could see them both playing going forward.”

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
saw this today from the presser and remembered the post:

DC Lou Anarumo on Nick Scott and rookie Jordan Battle: “Keep rotating those guys. See how it plays out. I could see them both playing going forward.”
I'm glad Battle is progressing. Nick Scott needs to stop missing tackles if he wants to stay on the field.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad Battle is progressing. Nick Scott needs to stop missing tackles if he wants to stay on the field.
Can't tell you how tired it is watching guys "hit" and not "tackle". A hit is nice, but what does it do if the guy doesn't go down on the ground...seen that multiple weeks now against the RB...guys have got to wrap up.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't tell you how tired it is watching guys "hit" and not "tackle". A hit is nice, but what does it do if the guy doesn't go down on the ground...seen that multiple weeks now against the RB...guys have got to wrap up.