• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Weeks DFA'd

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I didn't see that SeattleCoug already mentioned this on the Silver Lining thread. I was just excited to see it I had to post it w/o checking elsewhere.

I wonder who they will call up this weekend/early next week to replace WeAks?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured use it as a silver lining because nothing else is. :suds:

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better late than never. I'd feel alot better about this if someone siginificantly better was going to get his at bats. I suppose that will be Ackley and/or Trumbo, and neither one is much better.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He never should have been signed in the first place. Glad he's gone.

Just another one of those "We have nothing to lose signings' that we always seem to lose on in the end. Chris Young was one of the few times it worked.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just another one of those "We have nothing to lose signings' that we always seem to lose on in the end. Chris Young was one of the few times it worked.

Wasn't Wolff the actual just another one of those signings and Young was just available for his spot?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Wolff the actual just another one of those signings and Young was just available for his spot?

Young did replace Wolf, but on the same exact no guarantee contract that Wolf walked on so to me it was still a nothing to lose signing and not a guy they actually targeted and thought would be a contributor long term.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young did replace Wolf, but on the same exact no guarantee contract that Wolf walked on so to me it was still a nothing to lose signing and not a guy they actually targeted and thought would be a contributor long term.

Ya, I just guess Young doesn't follow the general Jack move because Young fell onto Jack's lap instead of his usual signing and promoting that player X is going to be a big part of the team. Such as Weeks was going to be the everyday starter in left against RHP. Even when Young took over his spot I don't recall Jack trotting out to media about him being penciled into the rotation.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, I just guess Young doesn't follow the general Jack move because Young fell onto Jack's lap instead of his usual signing and promoting that player X is going to be a big part of the team. Such as Weeks was going to be the everyday starter in left against RHP. Even when Young took over his spot I don't recall Jack trotting out to media about him being penciled into the rotation.

Ya I get what you are saying and you have a valid point on that.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess what I'm getting at is I don't feel that Young is the exception to the rule on Jack's moves as opposed to an accidental mistake and Jack's rules of low risk low reward guys is still the rule of not helping the team. Still don't understand why he wasn't resigned. Two of the most successful pitchers from last years in Young and Beimel weren't even really pursued by Jack, not as though either got lucrative contracts from the teams they signed with.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I got that on your last comment and I think you are right after reading what you said there.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, it was about time... 2 weeks too long but none-the-less, at least they finally pulled the triggered and severed the cord between he and Lloyd

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the "nothing to lose" signs or mentality if your just going to keep them on the roster when they don't deserve to be. Because there IS something to lose, ballgames. I think Rickie Weeks made the team/roster weaker just being on it. To me this sign was dumb from the beginning served zero purpose and only shows the lack of knowledge Jack Z has when constructing a successful 25 man roster. Congrats Jack Z you just payed Rickie Weeks more money per game played than Kyle Seager.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But M's are on a tight budget so this is what to expect more of when two of your guys make about 40% of your total payroll.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the "nothing to lose" signs or mentality if your just going to keep them on the roster when they don't deserve to be. Because there IS something to lose, ballgames. I think Rickie Weeks made the team/roster weaker just being on it. To me this sign was dumb from the beginning served zero purpose and only shows the lack of knowledge Jack Z has when constructing a successful 25 man roster. Congrats Jack Z you just payed Rickie Weeks more money per game played than Kyle Seager.

I don't think Weeks is washed up... I think he can be a strong contributor on another team... I don't think he was brought into Seattle for the correct role... He was misused and the team obviously didn't have a strong plan or the right plan in place on how they were going to utilize him...

If I was Weeks, i'd be ecstatic that they DFA'd me...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think WeAks is done like Hart. May hang on with a team for awhile, but not going to be much more than a replacement type value at best.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Weeks is washed up... I think he can be a strong contributor on another team... I don't think he was brought into Seattle for the correct role... He was misused and the team obviously didn't have a strong plan or the right plan in place on how they were going to utilize him...

If I was Weeks, i'd be ecstatic that they DFA'd me...

I agree he was misused and that the team didn't have a good plan for him. But that to me is exactly why the signing was dumb. He took up a roster spot that could have been used on a much more useful player and a player that could have given the team more flexibility with the 25 man. That is why he made the team worse IMO. I viewed Weeks as dead weight on the Mariners roster ever since they signed him.

I do think he could latch on with another team that has more use for his limited skill set, but I don't think he is anything more than a bench guy at this point.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if Weeks is done like Hart but he brought zero to the Mariners. He provided nothing but just a bat against a lefty except he had no position. He is not an OF and proved that nearly every time he was out there. Hope he finds a team that he has place on it but Jack was retarded for A. giving him a spot on the roster B. Not DFA'ing him the moment they decided Cruz wasn't going to be the every day DH. The bottom part of your roster needs to compliment everything else, like lefties vs righties in the bullpen but when you have a bench player who has no power, little speed, only looks MLB level defensively at the one position that the starter will never get pulled, there is no role. Generally your bench should be lacking offensively but are versatile defensively and on the bases which Weeks was neither.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree he was misused and that the team didn't have a good plan for him. But that to me is exactly why the signing was dumb. He took up a roster spot that could have been used on a much more useful player and a player that could have given the team more flexibility with the 25 man. That is why he made the team worse IMO. I viewed Weeks as dead weight on the Mariners roster ever since they signed him.

I do think he could latch on with another team that has more use for his limited skill set, but I don't think he is anything more than a bench guy at this point.

Agree with the fact that he's nothing more than a bench player... I do think he could contribute for another team who needs a backup 2B and be a decent contributor coming off the bench... I by no means believe he's a starter anywhere... When I said contributor, I mean a guy coming off the bench...