• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 7: Pitt @ Virginia Tech, Saturday 12:00 PM on ESPNU

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Wang must be made out of tissue paper. I think he was wearing a blue jersey his first day on campus

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Any score predictions? 9 point chalk, O/U 42.5

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If the running game doesnt show significant improvement this week then you always have to worry aboiut time of possession being a factor when facing an offense that can put up points. Having said that, I think the running game continues to improve this week and the Hokies defense holds Pitt to around 17ish. If we get Trey and JC going I can see this as a rout but if we're one dimensional (as improved as our passing attack has been) I can see a 27-17 finish. In that scenario, the Hokies are relying on a couple FG's to solidify the lead which makes it difficult to lay the points.

Having said that Kyshoen Jarrett had a big game against Pitt last year playing against some of the same players he saw in high school and had his longest punt return as well. I have a feeling the defense is up to the task after last year and wouldn't be surprised if it gets a little chippy. Pittsburgh will pull out all the stops and as long as the Hokies take care of the football and are able to establish control of the LOS (which will take a running game) the Hokies win safely 34-17.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT 24 Pitt 14....so take VT and the under.

I think we're 1-4-1 vs. the Over, so the Under is the smarter play... unless our defense or SP score and screw it up.

Much like Baylor vs. the Over this year. They're good for 60+ pts themselves. Hard to play an under ever against them.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the running game doesnt show significant improvement this week then you always have to worry aboiut time of possession being a factor when facing an offense that can put up points. Having said that, I think the running game continues to improve this week and the Hokies defense holds Pitt to around 17ish. If we get Trey and JC going I can see this as a rout but if we're one dimensional (as improved as our passing attack has been) I can see a 27-17 finish. In that scenario, the Hokies are relying on a couple FG's to solidify the lead which makes it difficult to lay the points.

Pitt's offense has put up big points against New Mexico and Duke. Their offense scored 13 against FSU, and 14 against UVA. Expecting our D to hold them to 17 or less is definitely feasible.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
French had a very interesting article talking about our running game. From his perspective, the poor running stats in the last couple games are largely due to what the opponent's defense dialed up (which is what allowed the passing game to take off) and some missed reads by running backs, not the OL doing a bad job blocking. Definitely worth reading. I hope Shane can help our young RBs make those reads better. I'm not terribly impressed with him as a RB coach to-date. A Critical Win: UNC Film Review | The Key Play

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have controlled the clock with the short passing game. Even if we struggle to run the ball more it is because they are stacking the box. We should be able to sustain 4-6 minute drives if not 6-8 minutes

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
French had a very interesting article talking about our running game. From his perspective, the poor running stats in the last couple games are largely due to what the opponent's defense dialed up (which is what allowed the passing game to take off) and some missed reads by running backs, not the OL doing a bad job blocking. Definitely worth reading. I hope Shane can help our young RBs make those reads better. I'm not terribly impressed with him as a RB coach to-date. A Critical Win: UNC Film Review | The Key Play

The things he helps coach like ball security has been good this year but I am not sure if he will be able to teach vision. That is something guys either have or don't and what separates good RBs. He will be able to teach things like if unsure, get north and south but true vision is unteachable.

Its hard to say how well of a job he has done with the RBs since none have separated from the others.

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Pitt's offense has put up big points against New Mexico and Duke. Their offense scored 13 against FSU, and 14 against UVA. Expecting our D to hold them to 17 or less is definitely feasible.

Annnd our defense last year. Although I agree with your point, which is I way i think the latter scenario is my post is more likely. I also liked French's analysis, which is a good breakdown about our playcalling (veer vs. ace formation that we saw against Bama). Our o-line definitely hasn't been the problem (for the most part), and it's important to point out how different the RB reads out of the backfield are for Trey as opposed to what he saw in high school. He is getting better each week but he made a few poor decisions on holes vs. UNC that could've been biiiiig gains. I think that is why you see JC having a little more success out of the inverted veer right now but you see Trey performing better out of the Ace (see Alabama).

I disagree about the vision statement in regards to our backs though; French does a great job of explaining how running backs in the inverted veer have to make reads similiar to QB's--something that is very foreign to Trey. That doesn't mean he'll never be able to do it.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, I think there is a difference between vision (as an intangible attribute that you just have or don't have) and reads (which can be taught/learned). Coaches also have to find the right balance with their guys of emphasizing things like "get north/south". Over-emphasize that and you see guys not trusting their vision. Under-emphasize that and you see guys trying to make bigger plays than are there. It's easy to just put it all on the backs, but there is certainly some coaching that goes into this as well, as I'm sure Shane would be the first to tell us.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this game is close. Revenge, at home, Offense and LT starting to hit its stride. Don't think those are good combos for the Panthers.

Eye test--Florida St. pounded them 41-13. They had to outscore one ACC bottom feeder (Duke) 58-55 and beat another one (UVA) 14-3 despite having 3 turnovers and 199 total yards, inluding only 8...YES 8!!! yards rushing.

LPD feasts on this patsy of a team holding Pitt to 50 yards rushing and having multiple sacks and TOs, Offense continues on the same upwards trajectory--running the ball better than they have since the 'Bama game.

I am gonna say something like 31-6.

EDIT: And oh yeah....Maryland takes out their FSU frustrations by beating the ever living shit out of Wahoo Nation (haha, is there even a wahoo nation???). They drop 40+ on them and win by at least 3 TDS

Last edited by a moderator:

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Man that would be a perfect weekend. I think Maryland has it in them, i just hope they can find it on gameday haha.

Agree that the running game will make some strides this week, and think Cline will have some opportunities in the passing game as well.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this game is close. Revenge, at home, Offense and LT starting to hit its stride. Don't think those are good combos for the Panthers.

Eye test--Florida St. pounded them 41-13. They had to outscore one ACC bottom feeder (Duke) 58-55 and beat another one (UVA) 14-3 despite having 3 turnovers and 199 total yards, inluding only 8...YES 8!!! yards rushing.

LPD feasts on this patsy of a team holding Pitt to 50 yards rushing and having multiple sacks and TOs, Offense continues on the same upwards trajectory--running the ball better than they have since the 'Bama game.

I am gonna say something like 31-6.

EDIT: And oh yeah....Maryland takes out their FSU frustrations by beating the ever living shit out of Wahoo Nation (haha, is there even a wahoo nation???). They drop 40+ on them and win by at least 3 TDS

this is my gut feeling as well.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far Tyler Boyd and Brandon Facyson are the front runners for ACCPOY....should be a good battle this weekend. Although I too think VT will get after Savage and cause some errant throws.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far Tyler Boyd and Brandon Facyson are the front runners for ACCPOY....should be a good battle this weekend. Although I too think VT will get after Savage and cause some errant throws.

I think you mean rookie of the year. I don't see how Facyson can be a front runner over Fuller, with his own coaches putting Fuller on the field first, but he's certainly right up there.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3