• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 12: UMD @ Virginia Tech, Saturday 11/16/13 12:30 PM on ACC Network

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I am curious as to why we did not POUND the ball wihth Edmunds. They do not have the depth that we do. We should have been playing physical and pounding the ball from the start. Two yard gains eventually gives way to 5-7 ypc - we just need a commitment to stick with our power running game.

I know the OC gets a pass this year I guess, but his calls are plain silly and head scratching at times. He shows a stubborness with our offense that we have seen now for quite some time.

Also our ST has been worse this year than any other year that I can remember (since 1993). Feel bad for the senior, hopefully we regroup for the UVA game.

what power run game? i haven't watched every minute this year, but i dont think we've run out of the I or even a single back with LT under center, more than a dozen or so times this year.. i think it's worked just about every time, but i haven't seen them call a power running game all season.. biggest problem i've had with the offense this year aside from LT being erratic every couple of weeks.. people complain about a lack of running game, but they never give the run game a chance.. edmunds starting 3-5 yards behind the line of scrimmage with no momentum is, and has been, a disaster.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pulling Bud (and any existing coach) out of the equation, VTSparks and I talked about this a week or so ago and I think that Cutcliffe would be a good hire ... realistic, clean, ... a lot of the same GREAT qualities that we have in CFB

Not having thought about it too much, I'd go along with that.

Time to make a move, before he has to completely start from scratch at VT or someone else gets him.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go along with Foster, or someone really good from somewhere else, with a proven record.

I am all for change, but someone really good from somewhere would likely be ...

A) Someone who has had some success as a head coach, and someone who would also likely want to bring in his own staff and potentially piss or run Bud, TG, and Wiles off ... our best coaches on what is unequestionably the strength of this team for the last 10 years.

or

B) A hot shot Non-AQ level HC or AQ Offensive Coordinator that has had great success at the respective school they come from. BUt would that necessarily be an upgrade or better than Foster??

I'd be okay with Bud if it meant Torian Gray moved to DC. It's only a matter of time before he gets a DC offer somewhere else.

Yes, VT could very well lose Gray at some point. I think TG and Wiles being Co-DC might work and keep everyone happy. Wiles is Fosters' boy. I think he would prolly be next in line. It has been widely specualted that CW would leave with Bud and become his DC if he took another job.

Maybe I am a bit too biased or loyal to many of the coaches already on staff. Maybe VT will never reach the peak with the guys we have on staff..I don't know. I just don't think wholesale changes are really needed. Frank will be leaving this program behind in good shape for the next man. Sometime the grass isn't greener on the other side. An exciting hire for an up and coming coach who has tremendous upside and energy and "WILL" take the program to the next level ... well, it doesn't work out probably more often than it does ... See UVA.

Last edited by a moderator:

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hiring the correct AD is going to be very important. To be blunt, the current state of VT football is a far cry from what it was 3 or 4 years ago. If things continue to go like this between now and Frank's last year, VT is going to be a fraction of the 'national brand' it was. I don't think our football program is one that could stand a (maybe two) bad hires. UVA and WVU are both prime examples of regionally decent programs that have been forced back to mediocrity because of poor coaching decisions.

Because of this risk, I can't see Frank's replacement being anyone outside of the current family. It's tough to say whether that will be good or bad at this point, but just knowing the nature of the VT athletic department, there won't be a risky hire made.

A new President and AD make all this fairly impossible to predict, though.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what power run game? i haven't watched every minute this year, but i dont think we've run out of the I or even a single back with LT under center, more than a dozen or so times this year.. i think it's worked just about every time, but i haven't seen them call a power running game all season.. biggest problem i've had with the offense this year aside from LT being erratic every couple of weeks.. people complain about a lack of running game, but they never give the run game a chance.. edmunds starting 3-5 yards behind the line of scrimmage with no momentum is, and has been, a disaster.

You explained it better than me. We NEED a commitment to our (power) running game. I think too much thought is placed in us not being able to (for this to happen). But everytime we have run out of that formation we get decent yardage. Hell, Edmunds hits the whole out of the gun and still gets decent yardage. So this issue confuses me and when we lose (while not giving this a legit shot) I get very very angry, drink and fuck shit up.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You explained it better than me. We NEED a commitment to our (power) running game. I think too much thought is placed in us not being able to (for this to happen). But everytime we have run out of that formation we get decent yardage. Hell, Edmunds hits the whole out of the gun and still gets decent yardage. So this issue confuses me and when we lose (while not giving this a legit shot) I get very very angry, drink and fuck shit up.

exactly.