• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 12: UMD @ Virginia Tech, Saturday 11/16/13 12:30 PM on ACC Network

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It is so frustrating to watch this team go out and lose to a Maryland team plagued by injuries. I don't understand how we can go to Miami, put up 500 yards of offense, come back to Lane and just play like shit on senior day no less. I wonder if it was a motivation issue. Lets face it we are turning into a mediocre program. The offensive line gave up 6 sacks, LT made bad decisions again, we had success running the ball early, i don't know why we too Edmunds out on some 3rd and short plays, the defensive line did not play well today which was shocking, and f course our world famous special teams stunk it up once again. We play down to our competition, and if we play down to the level of ACC cellar living UVA, we'll lose to them too.

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Is any of this on the coaches or are we worse than Maryland? This is a serious question.

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nevermind. Beamer says the Maryland punt return for TD was AJ Hughes's fault for punting it too low.

My bad.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You have to give partial credit to special teams.

You can't afford your special teams to spot other teams seven points.

It used to be Virginia Tech got spotted seven points per game. This year, they're doing their best to give all those points back.

There is no excuse for that game being tied at the end of regulation.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I am curious as to why we did not POUND the ball wihth Edmunds. They do not have the depth that we do. We should have been playing physical and pounding the ball from the start. Two yard gains eventually gives way to 5-7 ypc - we just need a commitment to stick with our power running game.

I know the OC gets a pass this year I guess, but his calls are plain silly and head scratching at times. He shows a stubborness with our offense that we have seen now for quite some time.

Also our ST has been worse this year than any other year that I can remember (since 1993). Feel bad for the senior, hopefully we regroup for the UVA game.

mad4comp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. He does, any other questions?

Yea great win today.

Love the way they showed a wide open receiver on a replay while Lt locks onto a receiver down field and eventually gets sacked. Just face it, the guy is mediocre at best. Time to plan for next year.

Fetti

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cvillehoops is looking more and more right every year. I personally cant read it anymore though. Im going to try to find something positive to do today instead of further witnessing the meltdown.

Losses to Duke, Maryland, and BC, is a fireable offense at any elite program. This proves we aren't elite, but I guess we knew that. I just wanted to believe we were headed there damnit.

Castanza

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a guy who played Football at Auburn and he warned me about the Loeffler hire. Losing at home to Duke and Maryland should get members on this staff on the Hot Seat no excuses. I'm very glad we have a new AD coming in February it's very clear that Beamer is coaching like a 67 year old Coach he doesn't have it anymore.

JP to VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to give partial credit to special teams.

You can't afford your special teams to spot other teams seven points.

10 points counting the missed FG.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terps are riddled with injuries at major spots, the team is about to lay down and take it for their dick-faced HC .. They are in major meltdown mode right now (comparable to UVA). We're coming off a HUGE curb-stomping against the next-best team in the coastal, it's senior day and the last time many of our best players will ever play again in Lane. If we come out flat and lose this game, I will seriously yell out loud WHAT. THE. FUCK. and seriously start questioning the team's weekly preparation, state of mind, and offensive gameplan. Anything less than total domination against these last two teams is unacceptable after what I saw Saturday night. You can "usually" expect a good game against the rival Hoos --- but Maryland? hell no

That being said ... I expect us to run the Terps back home cryin to their mamas. I feel a strong close coming on.

Been down this road too many times myself. You're setting yourself up for lots of stress my friend. Buy yourself some extra beers and have your favorite movie loaded up as an escape just in case.

I hate to say I told you so but...I told you so. (Also, does the mult-quote button not work anymore? I had to copy and paste the above quotes)

Went to the game today. Reading through the comments in places and what I saw in person it seems like everything was depicted accurately. We just collectively got our asses handed to us because our guys put up a half-assed effort. It's not surprising because its happened a few too many times in recent years. This game was a bit different though because it wasn't just one or two players or one unit, you can place blame pretty much every where. The only player who I thought played well for the entire game was Trey Edmunds. When given the chance, he ran hard and smart.

Defense played very poorly for 2.5 quarters. It wasn't what Maryland was doing so much as it was just laziness on our end. Lots of halfassed arm tackles instead of driving thru your man and quite of few of our linemen and backers took poor pursuit angles which allowed MD's QB to burn us a ton. That I don't understand because I'm pretty sure people know he can run so there's no reason other than poor fundamentals to have all our defenders crashing down to one side leaving daylight everywhere else. We made it easy for him. I'm sure having Kyle would have helped today but its not like it was just our replacement guys messing up, it was almost everyone. They finally settled into a groove and shut MD down from the 3rd quarter on up until that OT TD.

Offense was hit or miss both in execution and play calling. The running game worked very well all game with Edmunds like I said earlier. But for whatever reason, he'd get taken out for JC Coleman who went nowhere. And I don't know who's decision it is (Shane or Loeffler) but they're idiots to keep putting JC in on short yardage situations. He cannot move the pile at all nor is he lightning quick with his cuts to make a man miss. But they keep putting him out there and drives keep stalling because we can't get that yard. LT played ok for the most part. Early on in the game he took some unnecessary sacks. I don't know if you could see it on TV but he had guys open, but he would only look at one area. To compound it, he wouldn't move in the pocket or scramble out. He stood stationary FOREVER and got sacked. He had at least two sacks, maybe three, like that which really hurt us. But the rest of the sacks were all on the OL, especially in the later half of the game. I don't know if they got tired or what but it was like watching the HS Varsity play 8th graders. Our guys were literally on their ass upon the snap. Like that last sack in OT. LT had a guy wide open (i think Byrn) but he couldn't even get set to throw. That's the worst I've seen our OL play. They've generally been very good in pass protect but not today.

Not commenting on ST. They haven't been up to snuff in 3 years or more. If you can't see that its because you're just too stubborn and you want to keep drinking that Beamerball kool-aid like its the late 90s.

Overall, just a lackluster effort and one we've seen before. The players and coaches always say the right things but their actions show otherwise. You can't win games when you're playing against two teams; yourself and the opponent.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logan Thomas gives us the best chance to win right? What a joke.

Yea great win today.

Love the way they showed a wide open receiver on a replay while Lt locks onto a receiver down field and eventually gets sacked. Just face it, the guy is mediocre at best. Time to plan for next year.

:yawn: :lame:

Are you foozball??? Seriously, may need to get Hammer to look up your IP info.

If you want to be critical of the loss that is OK. But this loss was not on LT ... anyone should have been able to see that. So....if all you are going to contribute to this board is coming in on gameday and trashing LT ... then please ....

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very inconsistent play on the OL and D yesterday.

Maybe the effort on D was half-assed at times, the arm tackles were certainly a plenty. Kyle's and Antone's absence in leadership and ability has been missed.

A couple sacks were on Logan, but the OL was very bad at times from what I saw. As a whole, the OL continues to be the achilles heel of this team IMHO. That is not to say they shoulder all of the blame. I don't think things will change much with the personnel that we have there, especially on the interior. Grimes will just have to get his people in there. He has had success at other stops, so I still have faith that he will turn this Newsome trainwreck around.

As a whole, I think LT played well. His decision making has been much better the last couple weeks. He probably missed seeing a couple open guys, but it is what it is. Once again, not a ton of help from the running game, OL and even playcalling at times.

Special teams is a dumpster fire. There needs to be a significant emphasis on this in the offseason. I think someone else needs to coach it. Someone that can devote the time and energy in bringing it back to what it has been in the past.

With all this being said...it was a tough loss, but there is still plenty to play for. THE SKY IS NOT FALLING! We have the Londonites up next and I would love nothing more than to beat them into oblivion and FORCE UVA brass to seriously consider stopping the bleeding on this gaping wound in C'Ville. This senior class (along with the last 5 or 6) has never lost to UVA ... so there should be plenty of motivation. Duke is playing well ... but VT could still back into the ACCCG which I (may be in the minority) would still welcome the challenge. VT would be huge underdogs and rightfully so, but that doesn't mean something special couldn't happen if the stars align. Still, that should not be the team's focus .. the focus should be beating the dogshit out of UVA and playing well in the bowl game ... if a trip to Charlotte is in order, then so be it.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody played well. All aspects of the team had moments but every one of them underwhelmed yesterday. It is what it is, and it sucks. I'm not even going to watch the DVR and break it down. Everyone played medium. Ugh.

Working in College Park is going to suck this week.

Beat Virginia!

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Special teams is a dumpster fire. There needs to be a significant emphasis on this in the offseason. I think someone else needs to coach it. Someone that can devote the time and energy in bringing it back to what it has been in the past.

Yes. PLEASE!

Beamer is aging, and is OK as a head coach if they have the right personnel in at key coaching positions, but someone else needs to be there lighting a fire under special teams. Beamer has to have the guts and courage to fire himself as special teams coach, as they aren't getting it done any more.

I also think that Loeffler and Grimes are improvements over what VT had last year -- if they can recruit successfully, I think this current coaching lineup can work. Beamer needs to be thinking of a succession/transition plan, however.

If Beamer wants to leave a legacy, please let it be a successor coach who is even better than he is. Beamer took VT to the next level. Now we need a coaching staff who can take VT to the next level after that.

I suppose the first step is to get a great Athletic Director.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When does Beamer's contract end? Is it 2016?

I'm certainly not calling for his head as I've been a VT fan since the 1990 season when my brother enrolled and know that VT hit the gold mine and had the good sense to stick with him during his first 6 seasons. We know we won't be able to recruit with the big traditional powers and that certainly limits our ceiling as a program. However, we've reached the NCG before and have had a few seasons where we were in the hunt late in the season, so it's possible to be a perennial top 10 team and even top 5 team over a series of seasons. The problem comes in being able to get that next guy who can bring us to the 'elite' level. We know that new coaching hires are extremely hit and miss. We could find the next Saban, but we could also get the next London.

I'm interested in seeing Weaver's replacement and what their plan of action will be in regards to the entire athletic department. He made some great decisions with the development of VT's overall program in his stint, but we'll need a strong AD to help make VT one of those traditional powers.

As a 'fun' hypothetical, what would be your 'wish list' to succeed Beamer after his contract ends (he rightfully deserves to go out on his terms and not be forced out)?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am probably in the minority here, but I still think that it should be Bud.

He has earned it and he seems to be someone (at least looking at him on the sidelines) that would have the energy and fire to want to take this team to the next level. He also seems that he would hold coaches and players accountable for their shortcomings. Foster and many on this current staff have built relationships with HS coaches in Virginia and that is a pretty big deal IMHO. For a program that has alot of appeal , but yet cannot recruit on the national level consistently, I think it is important to continue and get back to landing the state's top talent. Virginia is rich enough in talent that we should be winning more battles than we lose in state, especially when London's tenure is over at UVA.

Alot of people say that Foster won't be the next guy though, and I am not really sure why he wouldn't be.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be okay with Bud if it meant Torian Gray moved to DC. It's only a matter of time before he gets a DC offer somewhere else.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you Sparks

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd go along with Foster, or someone really good from somewhere else, with a proven record.

For me, they could make that change now, but I'd miss seeing him play chess with other defenses.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pulling Bud (and any existing coach) out of the equation, VTSparks and I talked about this a week or so ago and I think that Cutcliffe would be a good hire ... realistic, clean, ... a lot of the same GREAT qualities that we have in CFB