• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 10: Virginia Tech @ Miami (Nov. 1, 2012)

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
"If Beamer thought Leal was better than Thomas, Leal would start"

I don't have any faith at all with Beamer and his decisions anymore. Holmes is still getting carries when he is clearly the worst RB on the team. Scales is better. I'm not a coach but I'm not friggin blind either so nobody can tell me I'm wrong no matter how much they're paid to coach

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think that if LT had played the way he did against UM all year long he still would be the starter. That's just the Beamer way. The guy is flawed as a coach

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT is 0-5 away from Lane this year. I'm a little more worried about that BC game than i was a few days ago.

and we've lost at BC with FAR better teams than this one.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam Newton is having a sophomore slump with the Panthers this year. Carolina is pretty bad. Would it help Cam's development if they sat him for the 2nd stringer? Would they be better? No, No

I just want to see if there is any talent, that's all. In regards to scam, I actually think he should get benched just because he's such a punk. No one respects him anymore. He's so full of himself it's unreal.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This many mistakes have to be attributed to coaching.

This year has been a compilation of little mistakes that lead to losses. This team has had an inability to score from possessions in the red zone for a long time. If they could score from the red zone, they'd be winning these games.

You're right ... It's all little things and a place here and a play there. The poor tackling, the not running out a route or blocking on a running play ... This isn't the first season that this shit has happened either. It's just that in the past, VT appeared to play "down" to lesser opponents because of stupid mistakes ... back then, it just made games closer than they should've been ... Now, it's losing us games.

And the red zone offense ... we should have a new OC/playcaller next season just off of our red zone offense.

What disappoints me the most is that it seems that this team has given up.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Here is my list of the problems this year.

Fuller's talents are open field tackling with the occasional blitzing. At CB he's not in the position to do much of that so to a degree he's out of position.

Exum is doing a pretty good job but he's not a natural CB either. Too many penalties this year even when his coverage has been good. Plus he can't seem to separate pass coverage and run support in his mind. He's lost the ability to get off blocks when he needs to although that hasn't been a problem for several games now

Bonner and Cole are on the field when they should be #2s on a typical, good VT defense. These first 3 problems are obviously related and point to severe recruiting failures at the DB position. Inexcusable at VT of all places

Tariq Edwards injured and no one good to back him up. Taylor and Tyler just aren't rangy enough for good pass coverage and to have them both out there at the same time is a big disadvantage

JR Collins has regressed into a fairly worthless player and the rest of the D-line improved little from last year if at at all. The lack of lockdown pass coverage from the back 7 hasn't helped the pass rush either

O-line - The only good things I can say are that the pass protection is decent and Becton is the only halfway consistent one

TEs are well below average

RBs are not superhuman as required to have consistent success running behind a VT O-line. Coleman is the best but the coaches evidently don't see it that way. They continue to give more carries to fumble machine Gregory and Holmes the RB who doesn't do anything well

LT has been horrible from the first snap of the season. He looks overwhelmed and panicky from the draft expectations and carrying the load of the offense. If the O-line wasn't so bad at run blocking it would help tremendously but they're not so what can you do. I've noticed when VT is running the ball well with the RBs, his passing improves. Maybe it's the defense, maybe he can't pass accurately after taking a pounding, or maybe it takes some pressure off him mentally, but he does look better. What can you say but Newsome strikes again. O'Cain's rep should take a big hit too.

Roberts and Davis have been huge disappointments. They are not there mentally every play. They can't be counted on to do anything consistently. Fuller is raw despite being a SR so I don't really blame him for not being consistent. Except for Dyrell the WR corps seems like a group full of projects and position switches from HS. Like I've said before, true WRs from passing HS offenses don't want to come to VT and so Sherman has his work cut out for him

Did I miss anything?

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my list of the problems this year.

Fuller's talents are open field tackling with the occasional blitzing. At CB he's not in the position to do much of that so to a degree he's out of position.

Exum is doing a pretty good job but he's not a natural CB either. Too many penalties this year even when his coverage has been good. Plus he can't seem to separate pass coverage and run support in his mind. He's lost the ability to get off blocks when he needs to although that hasn't been a problem for several games now

Bonner and Cole are on the field when they should be #2s on a typical, good VT defense. These first 3 problems are obviously related and point to severe recruiting failures at the DB position. Inexcusable at VT of all places

Tariq Edwards injured and no one good to back him up. Taylor and Tyler just aren't rangy enough for good pass coverage and to have them both out there at the same time is a big disadvantage

JR Collins has regressed into a fairly worthless player and the rest of the D-line improved little from last year if at at all. The lack of lockdown pass coverage from the back 7 hasn't helped the pass rush either

O-line - The only good things I can say are that the pass protection is decent and Becton is the only halfway consistent one

TEs are well below average

RBs are not superhuman as required to have consistent success running behind a VT O-line. Coleman is the best but the coaches evidently don't see it that way. They continue to give more carries to fumble machine Gregory and Holmes the RB who doesn't do anything well

LT has been horrible from the first snap of the season. He looks overwhelmed and panicky from the draft expectations and carrying the load of the offense. If the O-line wasn't so bad at run blocking it would help tremendously but they're not so what can you do. I've noticed when VT is running the ball well with the RBs, his passing improves. Maybe it's the defense, maybe he can't pass accurately after taking a pounding, or maybe it takes some pressure off him mentally, but he does look better. What can you say but Newsome strikes again. O'Cain's rep should take a big hit too.

Roberts and Davis have been huge disappointments. They are not there mentally every play. They can't be counted on to do anything consistently. Fuller is raw despite being a SR so I don't really blame him for not being consistent. Except for Dyrell the WR corps seems like a group full of projects and position switches from HS. Like I've said before, true WRs from passing HS offenses don't want to come to VT and so Sherman has his work cut out for him

Did I miss anything?

Neither our center nor our long snapper can snap well. That has lead to a couple turnovers and at least one extra point (last game.)

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A day later and that game is still pissing me off/making me laugh. We are so fucking bad this year. :L

BeachNHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
though I'm kind of torn. I want to see us get bowl eligible, but if i were a player, I would say "guys, we sucked this year, bowl games are supposed to be rewards. What in the fuck have we done to deserve to go to a bowl game this year?", then petition the coaches to turn down any bowl invitation that we do get.

If any VT team has ever needed the bowl practice it is this team. Will give us a jump on implementing the new offense once we get rid of O'Cain and Newsome (and re-assign Stiney).

BeachNHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the thing that I am most upset with from last night's game was the red zone playcalling. If you are a team that hasn't been able to run the ball consistently the only way to score points is to throw the ball into the endzone. Of all the redzone plays we ran last night I counted 1 play where we actually threw the ball into the endzone. That is pathetic and is absolutely a playcalling issue.

Also why do we run so many of our plays to the short side of the field? On Logan's first interception we had nobody even trying to take the defense away from the action. It was a horrible throw, but the design of the play allowed the defense to have multiple players around where the ball was intended to go. That is poor play design and falls directly on the coaches.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh god... and now the talks of Miami self-imposing a bowl ban this year have begun.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
though I'm kind of torn. I want to see us get bowl eligible, but if i were a player, I would say "guys, we sucked this year, bowl games are supposed to be rewards. What in the fuck have we done to deserve to go to a bowl game this year?", then petition the coaches to turn down any bowl invitation that we do get.

That's your reaction.

Actual reaction probably is this: We sucked this year. I don't feel like playing. Let's go get our gift bag swag and mail in the performance.

Nortazhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any VT team has ever needed the bowl practice it is this team. Will give us a jump on implementing the new offense once we get rid of O'Cain and Newsome (and re-assign Stiney).

When (or maybe more importantly "if") those fires happen they won't be until after a bowl game or maybe even after National Signing Day. The first practice with any new coaches (again, "if") will be the first spring practice.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
LT is 87th out of 120 in passer rating. I can't believe he's that high. Except for the running game his supporting cast has been pretty good this year. I think Leal should've been brought in at some point to just experiment if nothing else

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
LT is 87th out of 120 in passer rating. I can't believe he's that high. Except for the running game his supporting cast has been pretty good this year. I think Leal should've been brought in at some point to just experiment if nothing else

care to explain the bolded? I just dont see it.

WR's have ran wrong routes and dropped catchable balls.

The OL's strength is pass blocking but they've let multiple guys blow through untouched thhis season.

The TE's have had blown assighnments and drops.

Dont get me wrong LT has been bad also but outside of Painter nobody is producing at the level they should IMO.