• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 10: Virginia Tech @ Miami (Nov. 1, 2012)

Jhalf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This teams floor is twice as low as i thought possible before the season

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree ... The fact that everyone expected Logan Thomas to be better (or at least just as good) gave us all hope, despite the lack of experience and depth at many positions ... but his regression and poor play this season can't be ignored.

That being said, I'll still stand by my statement that anyone calling for Leal to be brought in is just flat out silly. Not gonna happen -- nor should it. With such a turd of an offensive line, key receivers who consistently half-ass plays, and no really dynamic playmaker at RB, Mark Leal would not be successful either.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To anyone saying that Leal would be starting if he was better than Logan, do you honestly believe that? Do you really think that Beamer would bench Logan? Also, do you not remember Kurt Warner? Dude was never supposed to play in the NFL and it took multiple injuries for him to get a shot. Hell, he might the best playoff QB ever yet he was behind MATT LEINART on the depth chart at one point.

Some coaches just make up their mind on who they're going to start and it takes an injury for them to change their mind.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did we have a game last night? evidently our players forgot about it.

as a friend of mine said last night, it seems like here lately Beamerball is a reference to special teams still, but it has a negative connotation

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Beamer needs to hire a special teams coach, as it's clear that they don't have near the discipline or fire they used to have.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some coaches just make up their mind on who they're going to start and it takes an injury for them to change their mind.

Outside of practice, mop-up, and the spring game has Leal done ANYTHING to show he deserves a shot as starter?? Have any of you seen Leal completely take over in practice and will the second team down the field?? Beams benched Noel (Stiney's nephew I believe) and Glennon for Vick and T2, so I would so that Leal is not inherently better than LT or he would get the nod. Beamer keeps him in there because he gives VT the best chance to win. Leal is probably not much more than a game manager at this point and we need much, much more than that from our QB with the offensive woes (holes) a plenty. LT is having major technical problems, but he has the ability to completely dominate and take over a game if he could pull it together. There is just no consistency in that.

Also, We all seen what Thomas could do last year, so why question his ability?? (and don't give me the..he had Coale, Boykins, Wilson, and a veteran line crap..he threw the ball better last year. Period He has regressed, but the ability is still there)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although there is plenty of blame to go around this season, this loss was pretty much all on the players. Punt block was on the punter and the line. Kickoff return, not sure what the coverage was, but likely on the players not staying in their lanes. Journell missed a PAT AND a long, albeit makeable FG. Turnovers were on Thomas and Gregory. The coaches have to shoulder some of the blame, but execution is mostly on the players. The coaches can only do so much with the players.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree that execution is mostly on the players ... but it's becoming a trend ... and consistent issues with execution --- falls on the coaches .. period.

offense -- the oline played terrible, the running plays called don't suit the offensive line. We consistently get behind in games (through stupid mistakes) and then our shitty running game becomes TOTALLY non-existent. Then, they just drop 8 and we're in trouble. A lot of LT's mistakes are just a product of being a one-dimensional offense with mediocre WRs who usually give a half-assed effort (Davis and Roberts << talking to you) ... and poor offensive line play (the U still has some players on the D line). I think we all underestimated the significance of losing our 2 most successful WRs (ever) and DMFW ... not to mention the fact that the oline was much better last season.

defense -- the defense gave up a few big plays but a defense is going to (and this is definitely not VT's best defense ever). VT doesn't have the athletes at defense (everywhere) to completely dominate a game like they could at times in the past. The secondary is peace-mealed (Bonner and Cole wouldn't be in the 2-deep of a top 10 defense right now) -- our LB play has been OK at times but inconsistent. The one thing that you consistently see as an issue with VT's defense is open field tackling. It's been atrocious this season and not very good in past seasons (with a few players being the exception). Over time, you have to put that shit on the coaches.

If the players aren't focused and aren't executing, it's the coaches' job to fix that .. to fix them ... or bench their ass -- period. We're at a point now where going to the ACCCG is a VERY long shot...10-win streak is gone. 8-win streak=very likely gone. It's time for statements to be made. Bench Davis and Roberts in favor of Fuller and Knowles (they've earned it). Get some of these other o-lineman some playing time .. beat uva by 60.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leal has never been given the chance so how would anybody know how he plays? Like I said, you can laundry list the number of players who turned out to be superstars but only got the chance because the guy in front of them got hurt. I'm not saying Leal will be a superstar, but Logan is losing us games right now! Plain and simple. He has nearly a 50% completion rate and as many TD's and picks. This season, almost every game for him has been the same: overall poor performance with a few great plays sprinkled in.

Logan was better last year because we had a better team. That's obvious. But when you think about it, if he just makes a few better decisions each game, we aren't even talking about any of this. I think that's the difference from last year: teams are a little better prepared for him, and by chance, he doesn't come through on a few crucial plays. Look at last night. If he doesn't throw that pick on our first drive, doesn't fumble at the goal line, and hits the tight end on that 4th down play, without a doubt we win that game. That's 3 plays. I'm not going to go back and look at all of our losses, but I feel confident that a few better passes here and there could have swung the outcome of those games.

It sucks that this season is going like this. I definitely feel bad for LT and all the guys who had high hopes. At this point, though, what do we have to lose with a QB change?

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This many mistakes have to be attributed to coaching.

This year has been a compilation of little mistakes that lead to losses. This team has had an inability to score from possessions in the red zone for a long time. If they could score from the red zone, they'd be winning these games.

Also, there have been too many missed tackles, miscues, turnovers, penalties, and mental mistakes over the past two years to accept individual "execution" as an excuse. It has become team execution, and that's coaching.

Special teams is a shadow of it's former self. It's not just that the game has changed to make special teams play more difficult. The teams playing against Virginia Tech seem to be making these plays -- and Virginia Tech isn't. It comes down to alertness, discipline, and yes, execution.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This many mistakes have to be attributed to coaching.

This year has been a compilation of little mistakes that lead to losses. This team has had an inability to score from possessions in the red zone for a long time. If they could score from the red zone, they'd be winning these games.

Also, there have been too many missed tackles, miscues, turnovers, penalties, and mental mistakes over the past two years to accept individual "execution" as an excuse. It has become team execution, and that's coaching.

Special teams is a shadow of it's former self. It's not just that the game has changed to make special teams play more difficult. The teams playing against Virginia Tech seem to be making these plays -- and Virginia Tech isn't. It comes down to alertness, discipline, and yes, execution.

I will place equal blame among players and coaches. The inability to score in the red zone is usually because of bad play calling or bad offensive line play.
True, turnovers and overall execution have been killers in the games that VT has lost. Another thing I have noticed is that although the Defense ius playing much, much better the last few games, the "ball-hawking" fly to the ball, reak havoc, get turnovers is still not there. I guess the focus right now is not to give up big plays, wrap-up/tackle, and get to the QB and not necessarily stripping the ball and playing "Bud Ball" and that's OK I suppose, the D is holding up their end despite lack of TOs.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
This game was a microcosm of our entire season. It's become clear that the whole team is just off this year. It's bigger than a single player or coach. All phases have struggled at multiple points in the season. The offense inconsistency is incredible (and they do get yards but they turn it over or otherwise cannot score), the special teams have made critical mistakes, and the defense has had significant issues. The mistakes we usually force on the other team are now our own mistakes.

It's as if the team we saw fight on Labor Day never returned after that game. There's no single solution here. The whole team has needed a reboot.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
To anyone saying that Leal would be starting if he was better than Logan, do you honestly believe that? Do you really think that Beamer would bench Logan? Also, do you not remember Kurt Warner? Dude was never supposed to play in the NFL and it took multiple injuries for him to get a shot. Hell, he might the best playoff QB ever yet he was behind MATT LEINART on the depth chart at one point.

Beamer has benched Grant Noel, Bryan Randall, Marcus Vick, Sean Glennon, and Tyrod Taylor for performance in their careers. That's literally every quarterback from Michael Vick to Logan Thomas. The theory that Beamer won't bench a quarterback is without any substance. If Beamer thought Leal was better than Thomas, Leal would start.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only reason thomas starts is because he is a good runner, and a lot of times, that's all the offense can do, is let LT run. you take him out of the game, even if Leal is a better passer (which i cant imagine he isn't) the offense goes no where with Leal in the game because roberts and davis will still drop a shit ton of balls, and the running game will be even less existent

logan thomas has been a bad QB this year, but him running is all VT's offense has. you can't take that out of the game.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF?!?!?!? Are you guys going to even be bowl eligible?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we've got BC and UVA left...we better be.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
though I'm kind of torn. I want to see us get bowl eligible, but if i were a player, I would say "guys, we sucked this year, bowl games are supposed to be rewards. What in the fuck have we done to deserve to go to a bowl game this year?", then petition the coaches to turn down any bowl invitation that we do get.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beamer has benched Grant Noel, Bryan Randall, Marcus Vick, Sean Glennon, and Tyrod Taylor for performance in their careers. That's literally every quarterback from Michael Vick to Logan Thomas. The theory that Beamer won't bench a quarterback is without any substance. If Beamer thought Leal was better than Thomas, Leal would start.

Maybe Beamer's just losing it. All of that stuff was over 5 years ago. I'm just saying that at this point, we know exactly what we're getting with Logan. Conversely, we have no idea if Leal is any good. But with this season being such a disappointment, why not at least give him a shot. At this rate, Leal might never get legitimate playing time during his whole career here, which is a shame given how mediocre Logan has been this season.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Beamer's just losing it. All of that stuff was over 5 years ago. I'm just saying that at this point, we know exactly what we're getting with Logan. Conversely, we have no idea if Leal is any good. But with this season being such a disappointment, why not at least give him a shot. At this rate, Leal might never get legitimate playing time during his whole career here, which is a shame given how mediocre Logan has been this season.

In many ways it is a psychological thing. It is getting more and more obvious with every game that LT is not likely to go to the NFL after this season. Leal has had ample time to beat out Thomas and prove that he can be the guy..he hasn't gotten it done. I won't argue that Thomas has played quite poorly in many situations this year, but at this point, what is the point of giving Leal the starts or most of the reps when chances are he won't be any better or be able to win the job for next year?? To give him a chance? His chance is in the spring and in the summer practices. Is that going to help LT get better?? Don't think so. It will tell him that they are not confident in him whatsoever and he will start playing not to make mistakes rather than to make plays.

Cam Newton is having a sophomore slump with the Panthers this year. Carolina is pretty bad. Would it help Cam's development if they sat him for the 2nd stringer? Would they be better? No, No

Last edited by a moderator:

Jhalf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know someone said it earlier, but I am really hoping we get a bowl game for nothing other than the extra practice.