• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 1: Virginia Tech Hokies vs Alabama Crimson Tide @ Atlanta, GA (8/31/2103)

vtfan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If he does this, will the defense suffer?

Was that performance purely inexperience, or is special teams coaching not what it used to be?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>J.R. Collins said it's not too taxing to play on defense and special teams. &quot;If anything, it warms me up before I get out there.&quot; <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Hokies&amp;src=hash">#Hokies</a></p>&mdash; Andy Bitter (@AndyBitterVT) <a href="https://twitter.com/AndyBitterVT/statuses/374936963154853888">September 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Changing the subject a bit, but does anyone know how the O-line graded out?

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question regarding special teams...Beamerball became known as the dominate special teams squad that they were because Beamer was using starters on special teams, when others were not....other teams have started following suit...when did Beamer decide it would be a good idea to stop using starters, and get more freshman and sophomores on the ST?

What was his thinking? "my starters were dominating other teams freshman and sophomores on ST for years...maybe now if I put my youngsters in on special teams, they'll dominate other teams starters..."

Agreed my friend. I think most of us feel the same way. Maybe because ACC play has overall been down for a while he could afford to put less experienced people in to get the "in game" experience? Either way it has been painfully obvious that this decision has really not helped our ST cause now for some time.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Tariq Edwards said several guys went to Frank Beamer volunteering to play special teams. Him, Kyle Fuller, Collins, Gayle included. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Hokies&amp;src=hash">#Hokies</a></p>&mdash; Andy Bitter (@AndyBitterVT) <a href="https://twitter.com/AndyBitterVT/statuses/374935527281000448">September 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I never understood why we have so many offensive players playing on punt/kickoff coverage...like Dyer and Drago. These guys can't possibly get that much practice at open field tackling.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Late to the thread obviously, but wanted to record a couple thoughts before we moved on. I'll try to skip the obvious ones already mentioned.

The lines were both exceeded my expectations. That's a very good sign against our remaining competition.

I think the special teams failures are easier to fix. Out of position and missed tackles aren't rare in the first game even for us. I noticed a ton of different players on separate punt returns and kick returns. I found that odd.

I see the key to offensive production working through the running game. David Wilson was Logan Thomas's key to success in the passing game in 2011. Teams had to stop the run first and 10 wins came per the norm. Last year's lack of success was a clearly poor blocking/running dynamic that completely flipped the VT offensive strategy of years past. Great coaching can adjust to that, but I won't dwell as Tech has made changes to that effect.

The passing numbers were absurd, but that just means we need a strategy to mitigate the issues. If running relatively well against Alabama was not a fluke, this team can have great success while the passing game tries to get in sync. I have no solution other than keep looking for something that works.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Late to the thread obviously, but wanted to record a couple thoughts before we moved on. I'll try to skip the obvious ones already mentioned.

The lines were both exceeded my expectations. That's a very good sign against our remaining competition.

I think the special teams failures are easier to fix. Out of position and missed tackles aren't rare in the first game even for us. I noticed a ton of different players on separate punt returns and kick returns. I found that odd.

I see the key to offensive production working through the running game. David Wilson was Logan Thomas's key to success in the passing game in 2011. Teams had to stop the run first and 10 wins came per the norm. Last year's lack of success was a clearly poor blocking/running dynamic that completely flipped the VT offensive strategy of years past. Great coaching can adjust to that, but I won't dwell as Tech has made changes to that effect.

The passing numbers were absurd, but that just means we need a strategy to mitigate the issues. If running relatively well against Alabama was not a fluke, this team can have great success while the passing game tries to get in sync. I have no solution other than keep looking for something that works.

Well, that and having wide receivers run their routes and catch the ball. If they can't do that, they must be replaced.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So College Gameday just spent 10 minutes discussing Alabama's lack of offense last week. Did you know the reason Bama looked so bad on offense was because they were breaking in 3 new offensive linemen? Never mind the fact that all of these OL were 4 and 5 star recruits and that Bama is loaded at the skill positions. :L