• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 1: Virginia Tech Hokies vs Alabama Crimson Tide @ Atlanta, GA (8/31/2103)

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys I wasn't bashing on Trey, just saying to say its him no matter what over JC is a bit premature. I want to go back and watch the game and see his runs. I will write up my thoughts after that. He definitely fell forward which is always key. OL looked rel good too. I am anxious to see Dash behind those guys too.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Edmunds, he had a HUGE day. Not just with the 70+ yard TD run but he was CONTINUALLY getting 3-6 yards a carry against one of the best college defenses against America. So question -- why not just RUN THE BALL until they force us to do otherwise? I saw alot of Stinespring / MOC bullshit where they are trying to do too much when we need to stick to our roots as a program which is a RUN FIRST PROGRAM. I think we really shit the bed offensively trying to dance and do some things when we didn't really need to.
Because they did force us otherwise. Did you watch the entire second half? We had tons of 0 yard carries. If your receivers can't catch a pass and can't get separation in man to man, any good defense will just load up the box. We had to try and take some shots down the field when there was no safety help. Bama is just too good of a defense to dink and dunk down the field. You have to try to make them pay for loading up the box.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys I wasn't bashing on Trey, just saying to say its him no matter what over JC is a bit premature. I want to go back and watch the game and see his runs. I will write up my thoughts after that. He definitely fell forward which is always key. OL looked rel good too. I am anxious to see Dash behind those guys too.
I was just saying that we ran much better in the first half than the second half because of the Alabama run blitz. While the oline looked better in the run game, Edmunds seemed to fight for extra yard or two. You're right thought, I think JC will see a lot of time at RB at well. It will be interesting to see him run behind the same line.

I saw a lot of formations where Edmunds lined out wide but I think every time he got motioned back into the backfield. It would be interesting to see if we ever leave the RB out wide or have him run a jet sweep or something.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another gem
wtfbama_medium.gif

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Espn called our receivers "hot garbage" Hard to argue.

Time for frank to give up the special teams reigns. Beamerball's been dead since 2006. At least consider more starters.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Espn called our receivers "hot garbage" Hard to argue.

Time for frank to give up the special teams reigns. Beamerball's been dead since 2006. At least consider more starters.

Yep, passing game was horrible. I was very disappointed with all of the dropped balls. Logan wasn't special but it certainly wasn't all of his fault. If that continues, VT may be in for a really long season. I think the coaches need to get ALL of the WRs plenty of reps next week in practice and game. I don't care if they stick Byrn in there if he can catch the ball.

If they can get it together in that area, couple that with what seems to be an improved running game and a solid D. This team could contend for the division. I have seen nothing from anyone else in the coastal that makes me think they are the favorite.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they did force us otherwise. Did you watch the entire second half? We had tons of 0 yard carries. If your receivers can't catch a pass and can't get separation in man to man, any good defense will just load up the box. We had to try and take some shots down the field when there was no safety help. Bama is just too good of a defense to dink and dunk down the field. You have to try to make them pay for loading up the box.

No one forced us to throw the whole first half when Edmunds was getting 3-6 yards a pop on most carries which is what I was getting at. The coaches made it very obvious during Spring / Fall Camp we are trying to become a run first team to setup play action. We did not start out with that mindset last night...

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i expect the WR's to get a lot better as the season goes on. Besides Coles, they're all still young. They should be hittin on all cylinders by the conference games. Now that we're done with Bama, it only gets easier from here on out. And getting Coleman/Caleb back will only help the offense. Expectations should be high.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rewatching some of the game from last night and I'll tell you one thing VT's second team DL > Bama's first team OL. Those young guys played their asses off last night.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mangus and Caleb may need moved back to WR ASAP!

I think we've seen the last of Caleb at WR. Doesn't seem to have that in him. Need WRs who played there in HS so we don't keep hitting that issue.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interestingly, as anemic as our offense was, we outgained Bama's offense, and our D held the run game to under 100 yards. Couldn't be happier with how the D played...The offense played about as I expected them to (although I was hoping otherwise)....

My buddy who is a Bama fan suggested that Beamerball should be renamed Sabanball...:pout:

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a Bama fan and alum from work come to me this morning and say how our defense was flat out amazing. He said their offense looked awful but it was because we beat them all over the field on that side of the ball and that our DL controlled them. He also mentioned its more amazing how well we played minus those big gaffs on returns considering how many guys we are down.

He was also going on about the last time someone had a rush TD against them in the first quarter and how rare that is. Also mentioned that Edmunds was damn fast.

Getting a little respect which is nice.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
VT's defense was stellar.

Special teams and wide receivers? Not so much.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question regarding special teams...Beamerball became known as the dominate special teams squad that they were because Beamer was using starters on special teams, when others were not....other teams have started following suit...when did Beamer decide it would be a good idea to stop using starters, and get more freshman and sophomores on the ST?

What was his thinking? "my starters were dominating other teams freshman and sophomores on ST for years...maybe now if I put my youngsters in on special teams, they'll dominate other teams starters..."

vtfan15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Tariq Edwards said several guys went to Frank Beamer volunteering to play special teams. Him, Kyle Fuller, Collins, Gayle included. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Hokies&amp;src=hash">#Hokies</a></p>&mdash; Andy Bitter (@AndyBitterVT) <a href="https://twitter.com/AndyBitterVT/statuses/374935527281000448">September 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If he does this, will the defense suffer?

Was that performance purely inexperience, or is special teams coaching not what it used to be?