• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 1: Virginia Tech Hokies vs Alabama Crimson Tide @ Atlanta, GA (8/31/2103)

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I'm new to this board but I'm not here to troll or hate. I am a proud native Virginian who happened to go to graduate from Alabama and while I think Bama will win anything is possible and VT may win. my brother is a VT grad and I have been to Lane and was impressed by the fans. Good luck and if anybody wants to talk about the game in a sane and rational manner, I would like to explore the dynamics of the match up.

Welcome :suds:

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed. What dynamics did you have in mind? :)

vatider

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that Logan Thomas this time last year was on.some Heisman watch lists and this year people question his ability to perform. My main question about VT concerns Coach Beamer. Does he really have a burning desire to fill that vacant space in the trophy case with a crystal ball? Because Ithink the fan base wants to win a NC more than the head coach. Coach Saban is relentless in his pursuit of perfection, Coach Beamer seems happy to win the Acc and go to a good bowl game. While this is a big accomplishment , I believe the fans want more but don't know what to do because Coach Beamer is the sole reason VT became a football power. Anyway that's what I see

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, that's the way a lot of VT fans see it, too.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has that desire to fill that case and thats why he made the staff changes. The recruiting has been better in the past few years but it is still a ways off to get to where we all want it to be. I'd like to see how we do once Grimes has a few years to recruit some OL.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has that desire to fill that case and thats why he made the staff changes. The recruiting has been better in the past few years but it is still a ways off to get to where we all want it to be. I'd like to see how we do once Grimes has a few years to recruit some OL.

I hope Grimes and Loeffler have success and stick around, but I worry that VT won't pay them enough to keep them around...especially if they have early success. Hopefully, Tightwad Weaver retires sooner than later.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Grimes and Loeffler have success and stick around, but I worry that VT won't pay them enough to keep them around...especially if they have early success. Hopefully, Tightwad Weaver retires sooner than later.

When does his contract expire? I heard they were not going to renew it due to health issues. Is it 2017?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fDCWT

wtf, we need to #beatbama just for this guy!

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When does his contract expire? I heard they were not going to renew it due to health issues. Is it 2017?

Weaver plans to fullfill his current contract which I believe extends through 2014.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 isnt that bad then. The new AD will hopefully recognize you need to pay your assistant coaches well to get and keep the good ones

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Beamer has the desire, but desire is one thing and knowing how to accomplish it (and having the cards fall just right) is another. He seems to be learning from some of the mistakes he's made. I think a lot of fans are just pissed that he made those mistakes in the first place, while others question whether he's learned well enough. We'll have to wait and see.

JPCVT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that Logan Thomas this time last year was on.some Heisman watch lists and this year people question his ability to perform. My main question about VT concerns Coach Beamer. Does he really have a burning desire to fill that vacant space in the trophy case with a crystal ball? Because Ithink the fan base wants to win a NC more than the head coach. Coach Saban is relentless in his pursuit of perfection, Coach Beamer seems happy to win the Acc and go to a good bowl game. While this is a big accomplishment , I believe the fans want more but don't know what to do because Coach Beamer is the sole reason VT became a football power. Anyway that's what I see

VATIDER, welcome! Wanted to get your take on a couple things. Do you think Alabama could be too "fat and happy" coming off the insane amount of championships in the last year? I know that's not Saban's MO, but do you think the combination of the national title year (again), VT being a huge dog, and playing Texas A&M the second game are possible factors for this match up? I believe I also read that your two-deep experienced some attrition with off-the-field issues this past off-season. Would love to get your take on these issues.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't see Saban underestimating VT.

It's just not his M.O.

If VT shows up with a credible offense, they have a solid chance. It would be kind of a surprise to most, however. A lot of it rests on LT's shoulders, and our confidence took a real beating last year.

So it's about the coaches shaking LT out of whatever funk he's in. It will help immensely if the offensive line can meld as a team, and if LT can develop some rapport with a couple of wide receivers, and develop some consistency. Oh, and stop making terrible decisions.

I know it's a lot to hope for.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a general rule, coaches don't underestimate other teams. Players do.

vatider

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tide does have an off week between VT and A&M. So they shouldn't look past VT but it could happen. Bama has no problem with depth, did loose a thug who was a pretty good pass rusher but there are four star players (K Kiven from Lyncbrg) who are back ups for the back ups. My main worry is whether the players believe the press clippings about them being part of a Dynasty and possibly being on the cusp of history of a three peat. If so then VT has a great chance to win. If team leadership prevails and they come out hungry like they did last year against Mich it won't be a pretty sight. I know that VTis known to be physical and tough and the defense is and has been. If Bama plays one of their physical games, ie like they did in the last two NC's their speed, size, strength and DEPTH will over power the Hokies. However if they expect the VT players to fold at the mere sight of the greatest football team in Cfb they could be totin an ass whippen back to T Town

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree and have agreed for years with what you say about Coach. He would really like to fill that stupid empty trophy case we have but it will never happen under his watch. Keeping the mediocre at best offensive staff we were treated to in recent years finally proved it. And, our decision to pass on the SEC assures that the case will remain forever empty. We simply aren't good enough and never will be good enough while in the ACC on the line of scrimmage to win it all. We had our one shot with a Supernova player at QB and fell short.